• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,799 posts in this topic

Pushed back to December.

It makes sense. Less competition. And a better time of the year to move merchandise:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Star-Wars-Episode-8-Getting-Delayed-Get-Details-107237.html

Also, positioning for Pirate 5 perhaps.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/20/star-wars-episode-viii-release-date-postponed-seven-months

Pushed back to December.

It makes sense. Less competition. And a better time of the year to move merchandise:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Star-Wars-Episode-8-Getting-Delayed-Get-Details-107237.html

Also, positioning for Pirate 5 perhaps.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/20/star-wars-episode-viii-release-date-postponed-seven-months

Someone dug into the -script change assumption.

Is This Why Disney Pushed Back Star Wars: Episode VIII?

Borys Kit of The Hollywood Reporter heard from his sources that Episode VIII is being delayed so the -script can be adjusted to capitalize on the unexpected popularity of the new characters. "Obviously the December date worked out very (very) well for them but I've also heard they are rewriting the -script," he tweeted. "I've heard from several sources the rewrites are positive, based on audience reaction to the new characters. People loved them. So strongly. And Lucasfilm was surprised at how well they were received, according to several sources."

Blame the success of the current movie.

Don't worry kids. More will be revealed in

I'm holding you to this. :taptaptap:

Ha - I updated the thread title but cannot update the timer until I get home. I am already at work.

From StarWars.com

CAMERAS ROLL AND THE CAST IS CONFIRMED FOR THE NEXT CHAPTER OF THE STAR WARS SAGA.

Rey took her first steps into a larger world in Star Wars: The Force Awakens and will continue her epic journey with Finn, Poe, and Luke Skywalker in the next chapter of the continuing Star Wars saga, Star Wars: Episode VIII, which began principal photography at Pinewood Studios in London on February 15, 2016.

Star Wars: Episode VIII, which is written and directed by Rian Johnson and continues the storylines introduced in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, welcomes back cast members Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Gwendoline Christie, and Andy Serkis. New cast members will include Academy Award winner Benicio Del Toro, Academy Award nominee Laura Dern, and talented newcomer Kelly Marie Tran.

Star Wars: Episode VIII is produced by Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman and executive produced by J.J. Abrams, Jason McGatlin, and Tom Karnowski. Joining the production crew will be some of the industry’s top talent, including Steve Yedlin (Director of Photography), Bob Ducsay (Editor), Rick Heinrichs (Production Designer), Peter Swords King (Hair and Make-Up Designer), and Mary Vernieu (US Casting Director). They will be joining returning crew members Pippa Anderson (Co-Producer, VP Post Production), Neal Scanlan (Creature & Droid FX Creative Supervisor), Michael Kaplan (Costume Designer), Jamie Wilkinson (Prop Master), Chris Corbould (SFX Supervisor), Rob Inch (Stunt Coordinator), Ben Morris (VFX Supervisor), and Nina Gold (UK Casting Director).

Star Wars: Episode VIII is scheduled for release December 15, 2017

From Time.com

Actor Mark Hamill says Luke Skywalker could be gay if viewers want him to be. After director J.J. Abrams hinted that there could be gay characters in the Star Wars universe, Hamill suggested that Skywalker’s sexuality is open to interpretation.

“But now fans are writing and ask all these questions, ‘I’m bullied in school… I’m afraid to come out’. They say to me, ‘Could Luke be gay?’ I’d say it is meant to be interpreted by the viewer,” Hamill told The Sun. “If you think Luke is gay, of course he is. You should not be ashamed of it. Judge Luke by his character, not by who he loves.”

Abrams said last month that “of course” the Star Wars universe could include gay characters, suggesting that the diversity audiences loved in Star Wars: The Force Awakens might not be just the tip of the iceberg. “To me, the fun of Star Wars is the glory of possibility,” he said. “So it seems insanely narrow-minded and counterintuitive to say that there wouldn’t be a homosexual character in that world.”

Considering the only woman Luke has ever kissed onscreen turned out to be his sister, it seems like Skywalker’s sexuality could definitely contain some revelations in future movies.

Does anyone really care about Luke's preferences?

Sick of hearing this wildly_fanciful_statement, my opinion.

Just stfu and live your life. We all know about your struggles, deal with it like the rest of us. You don't live in a third world country, wondering where your next meal is coming from or where you are going to sleep at night, or if some random stranger is going to kill you for your meager possessions.

I'm guessing a lot of people might care or he wouldn't address it, and given how passionate people are here for old pieces of paper that most of the world don't care about, I think we can understand how much something like Star Wars would mean to some and I think this is cool move by Mark to let people know perhaps the biggest thing in pop culture doesn't necessarilly have a straight hero or can embody all. I don't get any pushback.,

Non-issue to me, but can't see how anyone could view his comments as a negative or threatening.

From Slashfilm

Although he’s been busy filming Episode 8, Mark Hamill took some time to appear at the Oxford Union and he said something…well, he said something very interesting. While discussing what it’s like to work with Daisy Ridley, the man behind Luke Skywalker dropped what certainly could sound like a bombshell if taken in the right context:

Daisy is incredible, so genuine, appealing, lovable, she beams, she has a wonderful charisma – I adore her… She’s my daughter’s age – and that’s how I relate to her.

When the audience reacted with with appropriate gasps, Hamill quickly clarified:

I don’t mean anything by that. As actors, that’s how I relate to that.

Fan theories concerning Rey’s parentage have pegged Ridley’s Rey as Luke’s daughter since long before the film even began and there is some evidence in Star Wars: The Force Awakens to back this theory up. However, there’s just as much evidence floating around to back up a number of other theories. So while it’s entirely likely that Hamill just accidentally revealed a big Episode 8 spoiler, it’s equally likely that he really was just referring to their off-screen dynamic. So take from this what you will.