• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,799 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

Come on man, you can't be throwing out words like "infrastructure" and "administration" when it comes to Star Wars!  Someone from Disney might be listening!  We already got trade routes in The Phantom Menace, imagine something likes this....

EPISODE IX

THE REITSISTANCE

There has been an initial public offering. 
GENERAL LEIA ORGANA, short of manpower
but rich in funds, has stealthily assembled the
Intergalactic Stock Exchange's most popular new
commodity - LS Capital Management, bravely
named in tribute to her late brother, LUKE.  LEIA's
bold new Real Estate Investment Trust has taken
the galaxy by storm, quickly ascending to the fourth  
highest market cap of any publicly traded REIT.

As LS Capital's stable dividend and access to favorable
interest rates continues to attract new inflows of public
and private equity capital, LEIA, through her carefully
assembled network of real estate professionals, has
stealthily enticed the nefarious FIRST ORDER into
hundreds of triple net leases, slowly draining the resources
of its leader, her son, KYLO REN.   With her FFO now at all
time highs, LEIA stands poised to strike at the very heart of
the FIRST ORDER's real estate portfolio.

But danger lurks in the stars above.  That guy played
by Benicio del Toro, through a series of trusts and shell
corporations, has quietly acquired eight percent of the
outstanding shares of LS Capital.  As he attempts to
rally his fellow stockholders to his plan to split LS
Captial into three companies - commercial, residential,
and digital - the prospect of a hostile take over looms
over the impending shareholder meeting, threatening
to derail LEIA's most well laid plans and saddle LS
Capial with heavy short term expenses, negatively
impacting FFO and EPS...

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

Come on man, you can't be throwing out words like "infrastructure" and "administration" when it comes to Star Wars!  Someone from Disney might be listening!  We already got trade routes in The Phantom Menace, imagine something likes this....

EPISODE IX

THE REITSISTANCE

There has been an initial public offering. 
GENERAL LEIA ORGANA, short of manpower
but rich in funds, has stealthily assembled the
Intergalactic Stock Exchange's most popular new
commodity - LS Capital Management, bravely
named in tribute to her late brother, LUKE.  LEIA's
bold new Real Estate Investment Trust has taken
the galaxy by storm, quickly ascending to the fourth  
highest market cap of any publicly traded REIT.

As LS Capital's stable dividend and access to favorable
interest rates continues to attract new inflows of public
and private equity capital, LEIA, through her carefully
assembled network of real estate professionals, has
stealthily enticed the nefarious FIRST ORDER into
hundreds of triple net leases, slowly draining the resources
of its leader, her son, KYLO REN.   With her FFO now at all
time highs, LEIA stands poised to strike at the very heart of
the FIRST ORDER's real estate portfolio.

But danger lurks in the stars above.  That guy played
by Benicio del Toro, through a series of trusts and shell
corporations, has quietly acquired eight percent of the
outstanding shares of LS Capital.  As he attempts to
rally his fellow stockholders to his plan to split LS
Captial into three companies - commercial, residential,
and digital - the prospect of a hostile take over looms
over the impending shareholder meeting, threatening
to derail LEIA's most well laid plans and saddle LS
Capial with heavy short term expenses, negatively
impacting FFO and EPS...

I can't imagine that the financial markets would be stable enough to take any company public after blowing up the Republic Capital Planet, blowing up the Star Killer base, the rediscovery and death of Luke Skywalker and the death of Snoke, the ascension of Kylo Ren to Supreme Leader, all in probably two (?) or less calendar years.  Although I guess Leia could essentially 'short' property on planets where she plans to move the rebellion, knowing they're about to get wrecked.  Or take bribes to NOT house the Resistance on certain planets, as they're likely about to get wrecked. 

Can you direct me to some fanfic about Gringots bank in Harry Potter?  I'd be just as into that, if not moreso. 

3 hours ago, revat said:

I can't imagine that the financial markets would be stable enough to take any company public after blowing up the Republic Capital Planet, blowing up the Star Killer base, the rediscovery and death of Luke Skywalker and the death of Snoke, the ascension of Kylo Ren to Supreme Leader, all in probably two (?) or less calendar years.  Although I guess Leia could essentially 'short' property on planets where she plans to move the rebellion, knowing they're about to get wrecked.  Or take bribes to NOT house the Resistance on certain planets, as they're likely about to get wrecked. 

Well they did skip ahead about 30 years between VI & VII, so maybe they'll do the same between VIII and IX?  It would certainly have the benefit of skipping all those mundane details like conducting a thorough law firm search for the right attorneys and filing articles of incorporation.

3 hours ago, revat said:

Can you direct me to some fanfic about Gringots bank in Harry Potter?  I'd be just as into that, if not moreso. 

Sorry, I'm no help there, Harry Potter was never my thing.

Saw it again on Netflix (after seeing it in the theater opening weekend).  Not as bad on the second viewing, but still can't get over many of the dumb-ahhs… er, I mean, creative writing issues.  It was because of this one that I boycotted seeing Solo in the theaters and will likely do the same for Episode 9.

Edited by apollobuzz
my roman number got translated to something weird

So I took a look now that the dust has settled a little at the final numbers for TLJ and TFA. I predicted TLJ would not only lose almost 1 billion dollars off the pace of the last movie, but that it would cause such a fan revolt anything Kathleen Kennedy put her hands on would be boycotted too.

Numbers are in, judge for yourself.

• The Force Awakens: (Domestic Gross) $936 million , (Foreign Gross) $ 1.31 Billion........TOTAL: $2.23 Billion
  • The Last Jedi: (Domestic Gross) $621 Million, (Foreign Gross) $712 Million.....................TOTAL: $1.33 Billion
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story: (Domestic Gross) $213 Million , (Foreign Gross) $179 Million....TOTAL: $ 392 Million

Solo is actually a pretty good movie, like on par with TFA and night and day better then TJL....fans who saw it liked it. But i personally know many fans who didn't want to see it after the "TLJ" debacle of a film. People actually followed through and boycotted the film which many people were laughing at, as if it wasn't possible. Yeah, turns out it was very possible.

For Comparison, Rogue One (also an actually good movie) did over a billion dollars total domestic/foreign.... As a spin off story it made almost as much as TLJ, let that sink in. After Episode 8 however, the fans turned on KK and Disney. Now all future films are reportedly on hold and the studio is trying desperately to find someone willing to take over for KK but all suitable candidates are afraid of the media/twitter backlash of taking over.

So, here we sit. The universe we love has been likely mortally wounded. The product itself is goofy, poorly written, and unrecognizable to fans. The future of it is compromised and its options limited.

I think in final review the "fix" (whats even possible at this point) is simple:

• Kathleen Kennedy needs to go. Her judgement and vision are flawed which leads to bad/boring places.
  • TLJ must be scrubbed and negated in the next film even MORE then TFA was by TLJ.
  • Rian Johnson needs to never be put on true Star Wars again. Give him some hepster stupid side film with the star wars logo that has no tie to the actual main universe and let him fail off in a corner.
  • Find a way to undo Luke dying, or make him a HUGE part of the next film like Obi Wan on steroids.
  • Find a way to have Leia pass away early (cant have a full digital character) but DO NOT LET HER REVERT TO DEMI-GOD state again, no more Carrie Poppins blowing up bulk-heads with her mind and flying like Space Ghost. Give her a dignified way out.
  • Find a way to make it so the hyperspace missile option cant happen again. It would make every space battle pointless. It was on some level the worst part of all star wars combined.
  • Let Rose die, she is a poorly written character who goes from zapping cowards running away to potentially ending the resistance to save one dude who she barely knows. She leaves orphans to suffer but risks all to save space horses...flawed and pointless.
  • Give Finn something to do other than being a bumbling fool. He almost did something heroic but Rose stole that from him. Every other time its just him failing with fate magically saving him without him actually assisting meaningfully.
  • Poe is almost interesting, almost. Tone down his goofy cavalier attitude and make him more aware of what he is supposed to be doing as a leader. Let him grow to be more than a "Bart Simpson with a blaster" character.
  • Turn down Rey from a full fledged god to just a normal Jedi Knight. She beats Sith Lords in duels with no training, kills scores of elite force wielding assassins again with no training, lifts mountains with no training, basically could take out Vader in his prime based on her previous acts...all without a lick of training or experience. She is the DEFINITION of a "Mary Sue" and that gets old after 2 films. Watching an immortal all powerful god as a protagonist is boring, you know they will win anytime they want. Change that up.
  • Undo the back story of Rey's parents. That's just such a smack in the face. Make that whole part of TLJ a lie or something. Doesn't have to be Luke but has to have some tie to the story.
  • Kill Hux...omg i just feel bad for this guy now. Just have him trip and fall down a flight of stairs and out an airlock. He is a clown the way he has been written. Just let him die and replace him.
  • Kylo needs to have more of an emotional center. His motivation cant just be "I wanna be like me Unca' Vader!!!" Give him some gravity, let his motivation be "The republic is corrupt, it controls while not actually solving anything. Its weak and wont stand if any real external threat arises (like they have in the books). I must instill order and defense. I must save the Galaxy. Make him believe what he is doing is for the greater good. Makes for a more compelling foil.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Edited by zhamlau

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

So I took a look now that the dust has settled a little at the final numbers for TLJ and TFA. I predicted TLJ would not only lose almost 1 billion dollars off the pace of the last movie, but that it would cause such a fan revolt anything Kathleen Kennedy put her hands on would be boycotted too.

• The Force Awakens: (Domestic Gross) $936 million , (Foreign Gross) $ 1.31 Billion........TOTAL: $2.23 Billion
  • The Last Jedi: (Domestic Gross) $621 Million, (Foreign Gross) $712 Million.....................TOTAL: $1.33 Billion
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story: (Domestic Gross) $213 Million , (Foreign Gross) $179 Million....TOTAL: $ 392 Million

Solo is actually a pretty good movie, like on par with TFA and night and day better then TJL....fans who saw it liked it. But i personally know many fans who didn't want to see it after the "TLJ" debacle of a film. People actually followed through and boycotted the film which many people were laughing at, as if it wasn't possible. Yeah, turns out it was very possible.

For Comparison, Rogue One (also an actually good movie) did over a billion dollars total domestic/foreign.... As a spin off story it made almost as much as TLJ, let that sink in. After Episode 8 however, the fans turned on KK and Disney. Now all future films are reportedly on hold and the studio is trying desperately to find someone willing to take over for KK but all suitable candidates are afraid of the media/twitter backlash of taking over.

So, here we sit. The universe we love has been likely mortally wounded. The product itself is goofy, poorly written, and unrecognizable to fans. The future of it is compromised and its options limited.

I think in final review the "fix" (whats even possible at this point) is simple:

• Kathleen Kennedy needs to go. Her judgement and vision are flawed which leads to bad/boring places.
  • TLJ must be scrubbed and negated in the next film even MORE then TFA was by TLJ.
  • Rian Johnson needs to never be put on true Star Wars again. Give him some hepster stupid side film with the star wars logo that has no tie to the actual main universe and let him fail off in a corner.
  • Find a way to undo Luke dying, or make him a HUGE part of the next film like Obi Wan on steroids.
  • Find a way to have Leia pass away early (cant have a full digital character) but DO NOT LET HER REVERT TO DEMI-GOD state again, no more Carrie Poppins blowing up bulk-heads with her mind and flying like Space Ghost. Give her a dignified way out.
  • Find a way to make it so the hyperspace missile option cant happen again. It would make every space battle pointless. It was on some level the worst part of all star wars combined.
  • Let Rose die, she is a poorly written character who goes from zapping cowards running away to potentially ending the resistance to save one dude who she barely knows. She leaves orphans to suffer but risks all to save space horses...flawed and pointless.
  • Give Finn something to do other than being a bumbling fool. He almost did something heroic but Rose stole that from him. Every other time its just him failing with fate magically saving him without him actually assisting meaningfully.
  • Poe is almost interesting, almost. Tone down his goofy cavalier attitude and make him more aware of what he is supposed to be doing as a leader. Let him grow to be more than a "Bart Simpson with a blaster" character.
  • Turn down Rey from a full fledged god to just a normal Jedi Knight. She beats Sith Lords in duels with no training, kills scores of elite force wielding assassins again with no training, lifts mountains with no training, basically could take out Vader in his prime based on her previous acts...all without a lick of training or experience. She is the DEFINITION of a "Mary Sue" and that gets old after 2 films. Watching an immortal all powerful god as a protagonist is boring, you know they will win anytime they want. Change that up.
  • Undo the back story of Rey's parents. That's just such a smack in the face. Make that whole part of TLJ a lie or something. Doesn't have to be Luke but has to have some tie to the story.
  • Kill Hux...omg i just feel bad for this guy now. Just have him trip and fall down a flight of stairs and out an airlock. He is a clown the way he has been written. Just let him die and replace him.
  • Kylo needs to have more of an emotional center. His motivation cant just be "I wanna be like me Unca' Vader!!!" Give him some gravity, let his motivation be "The republic is corrupt, it controls while not actually solving anything. Its weak and wont stand if any real external threat arises (like they have in the books). I must instill order and defense. I must save the Galaxy. Make him believe what he is doing is for the greater good. Makes for a more compelling foil.

Thanks for sharing them!

Can I add one more please (and it's nothing to do with milking teats):

• Don't use instantly recognisable actors in bit parts. My suspension of disbelief was severely tested by Vivian off the Young Ones standing on the Star Destroyer bridge

viv.gif.93ee37028a6c03bb7cd6c923a77d5526.gif

@zhamlau -- Appreciate the box office numbers and the opinions on how to move forward, but I think you're expecting way too much change.  What's done is done, there will be no de-TLJ'ing of the Star Wars universe unless Episode IX completely bombs.  And if I were placing a wager, I'd still say that IX will cross the $1 billion threshold even if it sucks worse than TLJ.  The Star Wars brand sells itself; I think Solo's lousy numbers are just an aberration (possibly a combo of no one being interested in a Han origin movie and/or not wanting to see anyone else play him other than Harrison Ford). 

14 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

@zhamlau -- Appreciate the box office numbers and the opinions on how to move forward, but I think you're expecting way too much change.  What's done is done, there will be no de-TLJ'ing of the Star Wars universe unless Episode IX completely bombs.  And if I were placing a wager, I'd still say that IX will cross the $1 billion threshold even if it sucks worse than TLJ.  The Star Wars brand sells itself; I think Solo's lousy numbers are just an aberration (possibly a combo of no one being interested in a Han origin movie and/or not wanting to see anyone else play him other than Harrison Ford). 

I think Disney looks at it not in terms of "hey it made a BILLION!"....they expect each of these films to make 1-2 billion each. This is what they paid for. What they are seeing I'm sure is the lost revenue. TLJ  most likely should have (in their eyes) done just under 2 billion. Solo should have done something approaching 1 billion ala Rogue One. To them, they are looking at potentially 1-1.5 billion dollars in expected revenue lost due to the mistakes of TJL. That's most of the profit they intended to make on these two films. These films cost 300-400 million each to make when you add up all costs including marketing. They aren't looking to break even, they aren't looking for ways to talk 500-600 million out of their pockets for TLJ alone.

The bombs already hit for them. That's why the panic. If this next film could have made like 1.7-1.8 billion and it comes in around 1.1-1.2 Billion instead due to people hating the decisions KK and RJ have made in the last episode, That's gonna gut punch The Mouse. Even they don't cheerfully throw away 1 billion dollars.

This film changed the profit trajectory of the franchise. Id love to see how toy and marketing sales are going for these properties...I'm betting pretty poorly also. Those funds being lost will eventually cause upheaval.

26 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I think Disney looks at it not in terms of "hey it made a BILLION!"....they expect each of these films to make 1-2 billion each. This is what they paid for. What they are seeing I'm sure is the lost revenue. TLJ  most likely should have (in their eyes) done just under 2 billion. Solo should have done something approaching 1 billion ala Rogue One. To them, they are looking at potentially 1-1.5 billion dollars in expected revenue lost due to the mistakes of TJL. That's most of the profit they intended to make on these two films. These films cost 300-400 million each to make when you add up all costs including marketing. They aren't looking to break even, they aren't looking for ways to talk 500-600 million out of their pockets for TLJ alone.

The bombs already hit for them. That's why the panic. If this next film could have made like 1.7-1.8 billion and it comes in around 1.1-1.2 Billion instead due to people hating the decisions KK and RJ have made in the last episode, That's gonna gut punch The Mouse. Even they don't cheerfully throw away 1 billion dollars.

This film changed the profit trajectory of the franchise. Id love to see how toy and marketing sales are going for these properties...I'm betting pretty poorly also. Those funds being lost will eventually cause upheaval.

Honestly I hope you're right, because I agree that TLJ was a massive opportunity lost.  TFA was released and became the top grossing domestic film of all time, foibles and all.  Star Wars was fun again.  No more trade routes or force carrying bacteria or creepy Uncle Palpatine moments.  The stage was set for TLJ to explode, and instead it floundered.

7 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Great post! And you can count me as one of those who boycotted Solo specifically because of TLJ.  5 years ago, if anyone had said i wouldn't see a star wars movie in the theater, I would have laughed in their face.  

8 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Honestly I hope you're right, because I agree that TLJ was a massive opportunity lost.  TFA was released and became the top grossing domestic film of all time, foibles and all.  Star Wars was fun again.  No more trade routes or force carrying bacteria or creepy Uncle Palpatine moments.  The stage was set for TLJ to explode, and instead it floundered.

I loved the creepy Palpatine moments. It made the Prequels worth watching.

21 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Now all future films are reportedly on hold and the studio is trying desperately to find someone willing to take over for KK but all suitable candidates are afraid of the media/twitter backlash of taking over.

Complete fabrication. There is nothing out of Disney that verifies this at all. 

Principle filming for Episode IX began on August 1st. Rian Johnson's deal is still on. If KK goes anywhere, it'll be because she decides to, and right now she has no plans to.

You can post BS if you want, but there's always a chance someone is going to call you out on it.

11 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Principle filming for Episode IX began on August 1st. Rian Johnson's deal is still on. If KK goes anywhere, it'll be because she decides to, and right now she has no plans to.

You can post BS if you want, but there's always a chance someone is going to call you out on it.

No, I think he's right. Nobody wants to take over the Star Wars franchise because of what people might say on Twitter. lol

Where do people come up with this stuff?

9 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

The one truth to what he said I've heard is that the spinoff films are now all on hold, but yea, he stated it in a blanket way as if the main storyline films were also on hold.  And the idea of them booting KK is a rabid fanboy dream unlikely to ever happen as long as the films are profitable.

1 minute ago, october said:

No, I think he's right. Nobody wants to take over the Star Wars franchise because of what people might say on Twitter. lol

Where do people come up with this stuff?

Exactly. When the job for running the Star Wars Universe becomes available again, there will be no shortage of people who want that job.

I mostly wonder what Kathleen Kennedy thinks about the fan criticism of Last Jedi versus the prequels since she was around to hear all of it.  To my ears it all sounds like the same kind of hardcore fan complaining, but I'm sure she's got a much more refined view of it.

My best guess would be that she's overall more pleased with Last Jedi than any of the prequels.  Revenue adjusted for inflation is way up over Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, the critical acclaim was MUCH higher for Last Jedi, and the Cinemascore polling for Last Jedi was better at A than it was for Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith with both at A-Minus.  The only way the prequels outperformed Last Jedi was the domestic box office for Phantom Menace, but given the two decades of pent-up fan demand for new films, it's difficult to imagine Last Jedi ever making it to Phantom Menace levels regardless of quality.

Edited by fantastic_four

6 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

The one truth to what he said I've heard is that the spinoff films are now all on hold...

That rumor was started by the clickbait site Collider, and numerous sources picked it up as a way to get people to come to THEIR sites. As Collider put it "Sources with knowledge of the situation". LOL.

There's no confirmation by Disney this is true and Rian Johnson claims it is fanboy fabrication. (shrug)

Has Disney attached any dates to any spin-offs?  The only one I had seen info about was Boba Fett with Mangold being attached to write and direct it, but I had never heard any dates.

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I mostly wonder what Kathleen Kennedy thinks about the fan criticism of Last Jedi versus the prequels since she was around to hear all of it.  To my ears it all sounds like the same kind of hardcore fan complaining, but I'm sure she's got a much more refined view of it.

My best guess would be that she's overall more pleased with Last Jedi than any of the prequels.  Revenue adjusted for inflation is way up over Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, the critical acclaim was MUCH higher for Last Jedi, and the Cinemascore polling for Last Jedi was better at A than it was for Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith with both at A-Minus.  The only way the prequels outperformed Last Jedi was the domestic box office for Phantom Menace, but given the two decades of pent-up fan demand for new films, it's difficult to imagine Last Jedi ever making it to Phantom Menace levels regardless of quality.

Yep. And it was never going to compete with Force Awakens numbers, that was years of waiting for a new Star Wars film. Very few movies ever will compete with those numbers.

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Has Disney attached any dates to any spin-offs?  The only one I had seen info about was Boba Fett with Mangold being attached to write and direct it, but I had never heard any dates.

I'm sure their focus is primarily on Episode IX - releasing Solo as summer movie made a huge gap in their one per year Star Wars Schedule. We'll still get one per year, but the one after IX probably won't be until December 2020. And that's a long ways off to be all that specific about dates.