• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,799 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

It is telling to me how strongly others feel about TLJ.  Clearly, Star Wars has touched many people in ways that most franchises wish they could.  Unfortunately, this also means there are huge reactions when something doesn't go the way fans expect.

:applause:

It is incredible how wide-spread the Star Wars experience is around the world.

The way Luke died didn’t bother me. It was his horrible characterization  and the slapstick humor leading up to it. A part of me is glad he died the way he did because dying at the hands of a whiny mellinial Vader wannabe would be worse. 

So I was in the comic book shop and this guy was raging with the employee about how dumb fanboys are that don’t like this movie and went on to list how great it was. He was so obnoxious I left without buying anything.

Is it just me or are those that love the movie seemingly more upset (name calling, etc..) at those that don’t then the other way around. It seems like those that hate the movie, are glad that those that like it, like it.  I’m starting to wonder who the real fan boys really are between the love and hate camps, lol. 

Spoiler

Ok, so how the heck was Luke able to give Leia the dice if he was "force projecting"?  If he could physically send things light years away through the force why didn't he just drop a gernade on Snoke when he wasn't looking?

It is things like this that makes me rage against this movie.

Edited by media_junkie

4 hours ago, rjrjr said:

Trust me, I'm sorry to hear others didn't enjoy it. 

I wish you also enjoyed how Luke was killed.  His character grew and changed between movies and he was in a dark place.  Rey/R2-D2 brought him back.  He went out in a blaze of glory.   And he did it by displaying the most powerful use of the Force we've seen on screen yet. 

I was disappointed with Star Wars ep. 8 'The Last Jedi' when comparing it to the excellent 'Logan' movie. Can't recall if this was the 7th movie that included Wolverine (X-men franchise plus the 2 solo Wolverine films). The director made 'Logan' into Western tale. Wolverine's character grew but he was in a dark place with Professor X. X-23 brought him back, and showed Logan could care again. Wolverine went out in a blaze of ferocious R-rated fury after his battle with his cloned self (Weapon X-24?).  The younger mutants at the end left plotlines that could be developed into a 'New Mutants' movie. :blush:

I saw it today and it was ok. Not great or incredible. Well made though the story was a little strange at points.

I thought for sure that Ren was going to hit Luke with the light saber and he was going to vanish the same way Obi Wan did in the original. He sort of did in a way, I suppose.

The theater was practically empty but when i tried to choose a seat they said only a few seats remained. Might have been because I went alone. I had to get my car serviced (brake service, fuel injector svc) so I walked over to the theater and it worked out perfectly in terms of total time to fix it.

Not sure where it goes from here-- if you get someone good to write the -script and direct it, these movies can go on for a long time. Told my brother I was going and he told me he and his date were dosing off throughout the movie (not a shocker to me). I was able to stay awake and engaged but there were some slow/drag parts too. A good edit might improve the watch-ability.

14 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Maybe Disney will get this guy to write the next film as with these small tweaks to the story he crafts a far better story that makes more sense:

Pretty impressive and efficient -script surgery.  "It's a trap!" would've brought the house down

I think people are missing the point on this one. Its easy to look at raw numbers and think "wow this is doing GREAT!"....However once Disney slapped the "star wars sequel" tag on the movie, it could have just replaced all the footage with a few strung together episodes of "Cleopatra 2525" and it would still do half a billion dollars box office. The name alone is bringing people in for a majority of the folks. That its selling tickets isn't that shocking, with the nearly 500 million they spent making this film and marketing it I would expect it would make money. The problem is however how is it performing against past marks.

Where you tell the story of how this film is doing is in it's comparison to "The Force Awakens".  Same dynamics rolling into it, same studio,  and roughly same production era (cost of production, advertising, ticket cost , etc).  When you compare TLJ to TFA, the numbers are actually pretty horrible.

Force Awakens after 2 weeks (with Christmas included) was at about 650,000,000 domestic with a nearly identical budget.

The Last Jedi after 2 weeks (with Christmas included) is at about 450,000,000 domestic with a nearly identical budget.

You can look at that and say "Look at that 450 million, how can you not be thrilled!"...but I promise you Disney is looking beyond the raw numbers and is saying "Look at that 200 million we lost from TFA in just 2 weeks, and that trend looks to continue". This movie keeps falling off ticket sales faster then TFA, which means it just can never catch up earning wise. It's death by 1000 cuts. The fan reaction is cutting a lot of repeat viewership and its turning off the casual fan from going. The way this film is looking now, its fully possible this film does 300-400 million less over its box office lifetime than TFA does all while costing more money and also salting its fan base.

Simply put, thats not hot. And if this lowers the trajectory on the next film as im suspecting it will, look for Rian Johnson's days to be numbered.

Untitled.jpg

4 hours ago, media_junkie said:
  Hide contents

Ok, so how the heck was Luke able to give Leia the dice if he was "force projecting"?  If he could physically send things light years away through the force why didn't he just drop a gernade on Snoke when he wasn't looking?

It is things like this that makes me rage against this movie.

The dice disappeared.  They were not really there.

3 hours ago, rjrjr said:

Reveal hidden contents

The dice disappeared.  They were not really there.

Well then in that case I will retract my rage at that part of the movie.  I thought after Luke left to go out to see kylo she was still holding them.

1 hour ago, media_junkie said:

Well then in that case I will retract my rage at that part of the movie.  I thought after Luke left to go out to see kylo she was still holding them.

Not anything I would get excited over. But still odd. You give someone a token to remember someone they loved. But then it turns out to be fake.

What's the point? To get a reaction from them at that point in time, which then ends up being nothing.

7 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Force Awakens after 2 weeks (with Christmas included) was at about 650,000,000 domestic with a nearly identical budget.

The Last Jedi after 2 weeks (with Christmas included) is at about 450,000,000 domestic with a nearly identical budget.

We must remember the nostalgic factor with Force Awakens played a part with the bigger box office. People wanted to know what the original characters were up to after 30 years. 

Also the last Lucas Trilogy left such a bad taste in the audience's mouth that Force Awakens looked like an Oscar winner which led to people falling in love with Star Wars again to go to repeated viewings.

12 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I think people are missing the point on this one. Its easy to look at raw numbers and think "wow this is doing GREAT!"....However once Disney slapped the "star wars sequel" tag on the movie, it could have just replaced all the footage with a few strung together episodes of "Cleopatra 2525" and it would still do half a billion dollars box office. The name alone is bringing people in for a majority of the folks. That its selling tickets isn't that shocking, with the nearly 500 million they spent making this film and marketing it I would expect it would make money. The problem is however how is it performing against past marks.

Where you tell the story of how this film is doing is in it's comparison to "The Force Awakens".  Same dynamics rolling into it, same studio,  and roughly same production era (cost of production, advertising, ticket cost , etc).  When you compare TLJ to TFA, the numbers are actually pretty horrible.

You can look at that and say "Look at that 450 million, how can you not be thrilled!"...but I promise you Disney is looking beyond the raw numbers and is saying "Look at that 200 million we lost from TFA in just 2 weeks, and that trend looks to continue". This movie keeps falling off ticket sales faster then TFA, which means it just can never catch up earning wise. It's death by 1000 cuts. The fan reaction is cutting a lot of repeat viewership and its turning off the casual fan from going. The way this film is looking now, its fully possible this film does 300-400 million less over its box office lifetime than TFA does all while costing more money and also salting its fan base.

Simply put, thats not hot. And if this lowers the trajectory on the next film as im suspecting it will, look for Rian Johnson's days to be numbered.

Untitled.jpg

You're looking at it wrong.

The Force Awakens was a once-in-a-generation event.

Far more anticipation than even Episode 1 because it featured the return of the primary original characters.

The mere 5 seconds of the trailer of Harrison Ford stating "Chewie...we're home" guaranteed it would be one of the most-watched films ever.

Fans had been waiting more than 30 years for the thrill of seeing Han, Luke and Leia again -- especially after the (vast) disappointment of the prequels.

The second chapters of both other trilogies (Empire and Attack of the Clones) did 70% of the first chapters, a metric with which The Last Jedi is still tracking against.

As of today, it's dead-on in-between The Last Jedi and Rogue One, right where it should be.

Again - it's # 2 on the list of "fastest films to $450 million domestic" -- behind only The Force Awakens. And that's a very short list of only 11 films total.

By tomorrow, it will have joined the list of 9 total films to make $500 million domestic, again ranking # 2.

Yeah - it's a fake list, because what really matters is the inflation-adjusted ranking, but it's still going to end well over $600 million and -- most importantly -- set up Disney to go nearly anywhere they wish for the next chapter -- and subsequent additional trilogies well into the future.

Inflation-adjusted, it was at # 87 yesterday, just behind the likes of Men in Black, Rocky, and Fellowship of the Ring -- and it will pass each of those film's total grosses this weekend.

Seems absurd to have to defend a film that's such a critical and commercial success, but at the end-of-the-day, what matters is whether you personally liked it.

I loved it. My friends and families did too.

Sorry if it didn't fit y'all's personal head canon, but there was very little that *actually* contradicted Episode 7, just where you thought Episode 8 *might* go.

I loved the various twists, just as I adored the Mandarin twist Iron Man 3.

Just got back from seeing it.  It had some problems (biggest that it was too long), but it was entertaining.  All the hate had me thinking I was going to see a turd.  I enjoyed it.  It was better than any of the prequels to me.  

The Leia space flight thing was terrible and made no sense, but it didn’t ruin the rest of the movie.  I didn’t have any issue with Luke.

My daughter liked it quite a bit.  This is her trilogy.  Mine was the OT.  

14 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

All the hate had me thinking I was going to see a turd.  I enjoyed it.  It was better than any of the prequels to me.  

That's a really...

1346779156_extremely_low_limbo.gif