• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,799 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

The Leia space flight thing was terrible and made no sense

Just caught up to this. WTF !? I didn't get that at all. She was supposed to freeze-dry in space, like they all do. I spasmed during that part. :insane:

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

You're looking at it wrong.

The Force Awakens was a once-in-a-generation event.

Far more anticipation than even Episode 1 because it featured the return of the primary original characters.

The mere 5 seconds of the trailer of Harrison Ford stating "Chewie...we're home" guaranteed it would be one of the most-watched films ever.

Fans had been waiting more than 30 years for the thrill of seeing Han, Luke and Leia again -- especially after the (vast) disappointment of the prequels.

The second chapters of both other trilogies (Empire and Attack of the Clones) did 70% of the first chapters, a metric with which The Last Jedi is still tracking against.

As of today, it's dead-on in-between The Last Jedi and Rogue One, right where it should be.

Again - it's # 2 on the list of "fastest films to $450 million domestic" -- behind only The Force Awakens. And that's a very short list of only 11 films total.

By tomorrow, it will have joined the list of 9 total films to make $500 million domestic, again ranking # 2.

Yeah - it's a fake list, because what really matters is the inflation-adjusted ranking, but it's still going to end well over $600 million and -- most importantly -- set up Disney to go nearly anywhere they wish for the next chapter -- and subsequent additional trilogies well into the future.

Inflation-adjusted, it was at # 87 yesterday, just behind the likes of Men in Black, Rocky, and Fellowship of the Ring -- and it will pass each of those film's total grosses this weekend.

Seems absurd to have to defend a film that's such a critical and commercial success, but at the end-of-the-day, what matters is whether you personally liked it.

I loved it. My friends and families did too.

Sorry if it didn't fit y'all's personal head canon, but there was very little that *actually* contradicted Episode 7, just where you thought Episode 8 *might* go.

I loved the various twists, just as I adored the Mandarin twist Iron Man 3.

we will just have to agree to disagree (thumbsu to me there are no twists. Rey's a nobody, Luke's dead and Snoke's dead what twists they went nowhere 2c

Edited by Azkaban

53 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Just caught up to this. WTF !? I didn't get that at all. She was supposed to freeze-dry in space, like they all do. I spasmed during that part. :insane:

Leia Poppins 

35 minutes ago, Azkaban said:

we will just have to agree to disagree (thumbsu to me there are no twists. Rey's a nobody, Luke's dead and Snoke's dead what twists they went nowhere 2c

This is actually dead-on.

You're right - there were no true twists. Episode VII didn't actually contradict any of those three points -- it was only fan expectations (mine included) that led us to anticipate events that didn't ultimately occur.

There was a rumor Luke was killed off late in the production because Mark Hamill rallied so strongly against 'The Last Jedi' approach to his character.

Mark Hamill Debunks 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Rumors He Didn't Know The Ending Until The Premiere

star-wars-the-last-jedi-rumor-ending-cha

Fan-favorite actor Mark Hamill made many waves over the promotional period for Star Wars: The Last Jedi. He was upfront about disagreeing with writer and director Rian Johnson over some aspects of the story, admitting he was wrong having seen the film.

But a misleading rumor suggested that Hamill didn't know the ending of the film, saying that Lucasfilm execs decided to write off his character in the post-production process. Now Hamill is coming out and setting the record straight.

When someone pointed the rumor out to Hamill, the actor responded by calling it out as rubbish.

I had a feeling when I first saw this as 'news' it was garbage to attract attention.

24 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

There was a rumor Luke was killed off late in the production because Mark Hamill rallied so strongly against 'The Last Jedi' approach to his character.

Mark Hamill Debunks 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Rumors He Didn't Know The Ending Until The Premiere

I had a feeling when I first saw this as 'news' it was garbage to attract attention.

When watching it the second time I watched the scene closely to test the rumor and found it implausible.

It's not *just* that Luke fades away while looking off into the sunset. There's a lead-up to it where Luke falls off the rock from exhaustion and crawls back up. He's clearly been deeply affected -- emotionally and physically -- by his actions.

Would have been really hard to do digitally, so Hammill was clearly in on that portion of the scene, which presages his (content, Zen-like) death a few moments later.

The scene as a whole is cohesive and makes sense. So I believe Hammill was aware of it while filming.

16 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Rewatched TFA again tonight. 

Check out that Maz Kanata scene with Rey , in the basement, again. 

"That lightsaber was Luke's. And his father's before him. And now, it calls to you." 

This was right after Rey had a vision of everything that happened to Luke in the interim, including the fall of Kylo Ren, even though Luke had not touched that lightsaber since the end of ESB.

And now...none of that connection means anything according to Johnson.

What horrible continuity between films. Perhaps everyone should be on the same page when making portions of a trilogy. Stand alone films? Go for it. Part of a 3-part story? Color inside the lines laid out for you. 

don't you know that was part of the great twists that Johnson did. To take everything built up in the first movie and completely change it up on the fans. It was brilliant. I suspect by the third movie it will come out that Anakin was never really Vader :o

3 hours ago, comix4fun said:

"That lightsaber was Luke's. And his father's before him. And now, it calls to you." 

This was right after Rey had a vision of everything that happened to Luke in the interim, including the fall of Kylo Ren, even though Luke had not touched that lightsaber since the end of ESB.

What horrible continuity between films. Perhaps everyone should be on the same page when making portions of a trilogy. Stand alone films? Go for it. Part of a 3-part story? Color inside the lines laid out for you. 

yeah what a waste of time :facepalm: my wife and daughter were so excited about seeing this movie and finding out the connection with Rey or her parents and having Luke back I had finally got them interested in Star Wars 

16 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:
23 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Force Awakens after 2 weeks (with Christmas included) was at about 650,000,000 domestic with a nearly identical budget.

The Last Jedi after 2 weeks (with Christmas included) is at about 450,000,000 domestic with a nearly identical budget.

We must remember the nostalgic factor with Force Awakens played a part with the bigger box office. People wanted to know what the original characters were up to after 30 years. 

Also the last Lucas Trilogy left such a bad taste in the audience's mouth that Force Awakens looked like an Oscar winner which led to people falling in love with Star Wars again to go to repeated viewings.

I think if anything, TLJ should have had a strong tailwind behind it because of the borderline competency shown in TFA. It set up a story-line and characters that by all accounts people seem to be saying they like and wanted to continue. I think the teaser of Luke getting handed the light-sabre should have been more of a draw and "nostalgia factor" then just seeing Han rumble around the falcon saying "were home". . TLJ had more screens and more advertising hype with a stronger previous act DIRECTLY leading up to it...and its falling well short of the mark doing less with more. That's squarely on inferior product and fan negative reaction. That hurts future sales.

5 hours ago, zhamlau said:

With an unsure/skeptical post jar-jar audience, hopeful but nervous, TFA does 650 million domestic by this time.....

With a more stable and accepting/hopeful audience, on more screens, TLJ does 450 million domestic over the same time...

Rian Johnson is like the Washington Redskins of Star Wars. He had every advantage going into this with every bit of support possible and the biggest budget in movie history at his disposal. He had a strong lead in from JJ with plot lines the fans were excited to see and character they were starting to embrace....Yet he somehow cr---ed the bed on this so badly it would almost be funny if it wasn't so soul-crushing to 1/2 of the fans. Any footage with this title and seasonal placement would have done AT LEAST these numbers. That he has managed to come in so low against the previous mark AND ALSO managed to turn loyal fans against him and give us a rather boring line up of options for Episode 9 is sorta mindblowing.

THIS

I don't blame Rian Johnson though: it is all Disney for doing a rehashed story in The Force Awakens, then allowing RJ's The Last Jedi.

Edited by Artboy99

17 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I have not seen the movie yet and likely will not now that the holiday break is over, but my guess is that the whole Rey as a nobody theme will be debunked in the next film as just a mind-trick by Fuglo Ren. While I hope that she is a descendant of Obi-Wan as a nice twist (he had a love interest in the Clone Wars cartoon), she will likely be a Skywalker. That way the new trilogy can have its not as surprising "I am your father" like reveal moment.

Edited by kimik

23 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Just got back from seeing it.  It had some problems (biggest that it was too long), but it was entertaining.  All the hate had me thinking I was going to see a turd.  I enjoyed it.  It was better than any of the prequels to me.  

The Leia space flight thing was terrible and made no sense, but it didn’t ruin the rest of the movie.  I didn’t have any issue with Luke.

My daughter liked it quite a bit.  This is her trilogy.  Mine was the OT.  

I liked it better than all the prequels as well.

In fact Last Jedi was better to me than Return of the Jedi. No silly Ewoks!

Yeah, sad to see my favorite old characters go,but these new adventures are fun.

I absolutely love Rogue One.

If Star Wars can consistently give me movies like Rogue One than sign me up.

rogue-one-star-wars-deleted-scenes.jpg

4 minutes ago, kimik said:

I have not seen the movie yet and likely will not now that the holiday break is over, but my guess is that the whole Rey as a nobody theme will be debunked in the next film as just a mind-trick by Fuglo Ren. While I hope that she is a descendant of Obi-Wan as a nice twist (he had a love interest in the Clone Wars cartoon), she will likely be a Skywalker. That way the new trilogy can have its not as surprising "I am your father" like reveal moment.

Most likely.

This is the thing. There is going to be a Star Wars movie every year now, some of these die hards act like it will be another 32 year wait for the next installment.

Every year, plus the live action show coming in 2019 stuff will be added, so they can't give away all their secrets and plots in just one movie like they did way back 30 plus years ago in the 1980s.

They got to save stuff for the future installments.

6 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Most likely.

This is the thing. There is going to be a Star Wars movie every year now, some of these die hards act like it will be another 32 year wait for the next installment.

Every year, plus the live action show coming in 2019 stuff will be added, so they can't give away all their secrets and plots in just one movie like they did way back 30 plus years ago in the 1980s.

They got to save stuff for the future installments.

Exactly. If they are looking to have a main event movie out every couple of years they need to keep some plot twists under wraps for a while.

One thing I hope they do with a live action TV show is pace it like GoT: 10-12 episode seasons that tie things in between the movies or delve into the history of the SW story. It would be a great way to test new character/plot line ideas that could be woven into feature films.

Edited by kimik