• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,799 posts in this topic

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:35 AM, jaybuck43 said:

Padme LITERALLY died of sadness, and you think THIS is one of the dumbest ideas ever conceived?  They kept a badass villain alive.  Hell, there is actually precedence of this happening before.  Remember the scene where Boba Fett is eaten by the Sarlacc?  Yea he survived in the EU.  O and that is technically cannon now that both Lucas and Disney confirmed it (Disney was even originally trying to work him into TFA)

Sorry this was dumb as hell when I found out about it.

Padme died of a broken heart. 

FORBES.COM: Stop Pretending 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Isn't A Big Box Office Hit

Star Wars: The Last Jedi earned $23.6 million (-55%) in its fourth weekend of release. That's almost identical to the 55% drop and $22m fourth weekend of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. We can debate as to whether the film should be doing better, but either Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle is doing real damage to would-be Star Wars repeat business or The Last Jedi is proving relatively resilient in the face of an unexpected 1600lbs gorilla. I would argue that the answer is a little of both.

The film has earned $572.5 million in 24 days, still the second-fastest movie of all time and now on a path to earn over/under $640m. That would be a 32% drop, or about on par with The Empire Strikes Back. Yes, the larger numbers make the fall look bigger. Yes, it's going to set a record for a domestic sequel drop in raw numbers (around $300m less than The Force Awakens) and possibly worldwide. Unless it tops $1.343 billion, and that's a coin toss at this point, it'll fall more than Alice Through the Looking Glass did (-$726m from Alice in Wonderland's $1.025b gross) in raw numbers.

But the question, one which is somewhat of an open question at this juncture, is whether the drop was "normal Star Wars" (Empire and Clones both dropped 30-32% from their respective predecessors) or a symptom of viewer discontent. There are lots of reasons why The Last Jedi will gross noticeably less than The Force Awakens beyond "some fans hated it." While that's certainly a factor (if you genuinely didn't like it, you probably didn't see it multiple times in theaters), there's also the Jumanji factor, the "Star Wars isn't new" factor, and the mere idea that The Force Awakens aggressively over-performed.

But here's the thing... Star Wars: The Last Jedi has earned $1.205 billion worldwide after less than a month of release, making it the 13th-biggest grosser of all time and putting it about a week away from being the top 2017 release. At some point, "biggest of the year" and "one of the biggest ever" is going to have to be enough, both for Star Wars and other top-tier franchises that are putting out installments with relative regularity. 

As for the drop, it'll be a bit bigger than the 27% fall for Avengers: Age of Ultron ($458 million versus $623m for The Avengers), which led to cries of superhero fatigue and what-not. So nearly three years later after Age of Ultron spawned a bunch of "Marvel is in peril!" blog posts, is there anyone who thinks that Avengers: Infinity War is in any real danger of not making "most, if not all of the money?"

Yes, the film essentially bombed in China ($28 million for the weekend, with allegedly poor word-of-mouth), but we knew that was coming. And, I might add, so did Walt Disney, as they didn't go overboard with marketing over there. As I argued a few months ago, the reason Disney was a bit draconian with domestic theaters over the movie is that they knew that this new Star Wars movie wouldn't fly as high outside of North America. Chinese audiences didn't care for The Force Awakens' nostalgia-driven narrative and they were even less crazy about Rogue One. There is no law claiming that China has to love Star Wars as much as they love Fate of the Furious. 

China didn't go nuts over the latest Star Wars movie??

6 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I also think Insidious is going to be taking away from this movie

It was #2 for the weekend domestically.

O1Qc9n5.png

Edited by Bosco685
fixed formatting

Week 3 went as expected. TJL keeps falling off substantially from TFA money wise. It sounds like China doesn't love this movie as much as the loved TFA either but i cant find firm comparable numbers for that so it could just be speculation.

Percentage wise, this film is doing much closer to Rogue one then TFA. TJL is now over 220,000,000 behind TFA at this same point. I think when it is all said and done this film losses 300-350 million from TFA's numbers.

I really believe that 300 million was lost by Johnson and his choices.

Week3SW.jpg

27 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Week 3 went as expected. TJL keeps falling off substantially from TFA money wise. It sounds like China doesn't love this movie as much as the loved TFA either but i cant find firm comparable numbers for that so it could just be speculation.

The Force Awakens did $52 million opening weekend & $124 million total in China.

Despite having two Chinese stars, Rogue One did $30 million opening weekend & $69 million total in China.

So each of those did 42-43% of their total business for the country opening weekend and (to quote Scott Mendelson) then "flamed out quickly."

If that pattern holds for The Last Jedi, its $28 million opening weekend equates to $65-$68 million total.

Meanwhile, in less than a month, The Last Jedi now sits at # 50 on the all-time domestic list (adjusted for inflation) where (mind you) The Force Awakens sits at # 11.

While it won't catch The Dark Knight or Jurassic World on the all-time adjusted list, I think Disney is more than satisfied with their choices (and the box office) for The Last Jedi.

As Mendelson pointed out (repeatedly) it's playing exactly as Empire and Attack of the Clones did relative to Star Wars and Episode 1.

More importantly, Johnson (approved by Paul Hildalgo, Kathleen Kennedy, and yes - JJ Abrams) did the hard work in this chapter -- setting the universe up to go wherever they please in subsequent ones.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

FORBES.COM: Stop Pretending 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Isn't A Big Box Office Hit

China didn't go nuts over the latest Star Wars movie??

One thing for us to remember about China was they didn't have the nostalgia factor for the 1977 Star Wars like we had here with action figures and the original trilogy. 

A few people from China have pointed out to me they never saw Star Wars until The Force Awakens. :whatthe:

So the majority of China didn't grow up with Star Wars like we did.

A couple of decent articles here about it.

Star Wars premieres in China four decades late.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/17/star-wars-premieres-in-china-four-decades-late

Star Wars Underperforms In China As Cultural Differences Emerge.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisachanson/2016/01/21/culture-wars-star-wars-underperforms-in-china-and-the-differences-emerge/#7a1e6e6168b2

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

20 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

One thing for us to remember about China was they didn't have the nostalgia factor for the 1977 Star Wars like we had here with action figures and the original trilogy. 

A few people from China have pointed out to me they never saw Star Wars until The Force Awakens. :whatthe:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/17/star-wars-premieres-in-china-four-decades-late

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisachanson/2016/01/21/culture-wars-star-wars-underperforms-in-china-and-the-differences-emerge/#7a1e6e6168b2

I agreed with that theory with the first new movie. I agreed with that theory with the second movie. We are now three movies in on the new Star Wars.

An article that compares 'The Force Awakens' to 'The Last Jedi'. At least for her, there was a difference.

Why ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ is Better Than ‘The Last Jedi’

Since my first viewing of Star Wars: The Last Jedi, I have been Searching My Feelings to determine my definitive stance on the film, but like Kylo Ren, I’m still impossibly conflicted.

By contrast, my immediate reaction to Star Wars: The Force Awakens was unbridled joy and inexpressible love and an unquenchable desire to head back to the theater as soon as possible, as often as possible, to watch the movie again.

There’s a fine line between self-aware comedy and satire, and The Last Jedi dips precariously towards the latter. The movie tears fans’ hopes and expectations to shreds – and it does so gleefully. My problem with The Last Jedi is not that it subverts the status quo by challenging traditional Star Wars narratives, but that it does this in a way that feels like it’s sneering at anyone who actually enjoyed any elements of past movies, including its own predecessor, The Force Awakens. And that’s what really grinds my gears. Regardless of who her parents were, Rey is important – to me, to little girls, to female Star Wars fans everywhere – but through misguided humor, cheap dialogue, and a narrative structure that prioritizes certain Skywalkers, The Last Jedi unforgivably downplays her significance, and downplays everything I’ve come to cherish about J.J. Abrams’ addition to the Star Wars canon.

(Full disclosure: From following his interviews and his presence online, I believe that Rian Johnson is a kind and humble human being as well as a passionate and insightful filmmaker. My reaction to The Last Jedi in no way detracts from my respect for him and from what he feels he accomplished. In this situation, I’m attempting to separate the art from the artist.)

She tries to apply logic to why there is such a reaction difference between the two. Worth a read.

54 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

What's interesting is that other franchises could also make this claim.

- Batman (1989): Released in Hong Kong only.

- Batman Returns (1992): Released in Hong Kong only.

- Batman Forever (1995): Released in Hong Kong only.

- Batman and Robin (1997): Released in Hong Kong only.

- Batman Begins (2005): Hong Kong & China.

- The Dark Knight (2008): Hong Kong only.

- The Dark Knight Rises (2012): Hong Kong & China.

So no wonder why WB has had challenges raising its China box office numbers. Batman - assumed to be one of the most recognized comic book movie characters from around the world - had all of two (2) films play in mainland China before the DCEU.

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I still remember my first three Star Wars action figures.

I got a C-3PO at a yard sale for 50 cents in '79, followed by that little orange R2-D2 droid and the silver Deathstar droid for $3 each at Country 3 Corners (general store) in Weare. 

I got the 12" Boba Fett at a church sale in '82 for $2 (he had a cool view scope in his helmet,) but he was too big for the other figures, so like Return of the Jedi: Special Edition, he had to hang around the chicks and rescue the kidnapped Barbies of my sister's.

So I believe in that kind of nostalgia. (thumbsu 

Honest question for those contending that The Last Jedi is under-performing:

What were your realistic expectations for this film?

Seriously. In terms of domestic benchmarks:

• The Dark Knight Rises did 83% of the The Dark Knight
  • Age of Ultron did 73% of The Avengers
  • In less than a month, The Last Jedi has already done 61% of The Force Awakens' business

This week it will become only the third film to surpass $600 million, and it has plenty of gas left in its tank.

Further, more folks have seen it than saw Batman (which ruled the summer of 1989) or any of the Lord of the Rings films.

Was this magically supposed to do 120% of The Force Awakens' business?

Or do you honestly expect Jurassic World 2 to magically out-perform Jurassic World?

If these are *excuses* for its performance, I'm curious as to your measuring stick.

3 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I like how nostalgia is a factor and then it isn’t a factor for all these points made for this movie.

this movie may not have the single greatest box office but it certainly has the great number of excuses by those who claimed they liked the movie

lots of excuses, to be sure, but it lags far behind the excuses from the d.c. crowd when another d.c.e.u. movie bombs with the critics [and people, with jl].

I think we all know why JL under performed and I think we probably are in agreement (those who liked the movie and those who didn’t)

the movie was cut shorter than had to be by the studio making it with the Whedon reshoots a bit incoherent, general public not happy with Snyder style and ultimately the critics score etc

I know you want to make this a DC vs Disney but this movie has people defending decisions made in this movie that goes against what the previous 7 films have created and more importantly it takes everything set up in the previous movie and dismiss it

20 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

lots of excuses, to be sure, but it lags far behind the excuses from the d.c. crowd when another d.c.e.u. movie bombs with the critics [and people, with jl].

Now come on. The list was pretty straightforward what happened with Justice League.

12 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I think we all know why JL under performed and I think we probably are in agreement (those who liked the movie and those who didn’t)

the movie was cut shorter than had to be by the studio making it with the Whedon reshoots a bit incoherent, general public not happy with Snyder style and ultimately the critics score etc

I know you want to make this a DC vs Disney but this movie has people defending decisions made in this movie that goes against what the previous 7 films have created and more importantly it takes everything set up in the previous movie and dismiss it

And there ya go!

And even Gatsby hit on why the lower attendance at the box office. Folks that didn't care for BvS and SS read those critic opinions and bailed on attending. But the majority of those that went gave it a decent score, although recognizing it was flawed.

Now, derail the purpose of this thread and I will send in the Alliance Sloth Bomber Squad utilized in 'The Last Jedi'. They are coming your way - fast! Well, THEIR fast. At least the very last bomber always survives.

DecentPointlessGnu-max-1mb.gif

:baiting:

The amount of repeat viewings is probably down but won’t be noticeable in this movie. I really think there numbers will be significant in the final chapter unless Abrams pulls a rabbit out of the hat (which I believe he can do) and tie this up nicely