• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,799 posts in this topic

Ok i'm super late to the party here but I finally got a chance to watch the last jedi tonite.

Look, i'm 39 years old and grew up on the original trilogy, groaned through most of the prequal trilogy and have for the most part enjoyed the animated stuff. Star Wars has meant a lot to me for a long long time...

I have to say this, i'm probably alone here, The Force Awakens and Last Jedi by FAR and I mean FAR and away have been the BEST Star Wars movies yet!

I cannot wait for more! I'm so incredibly happy Disney hasn't gone far left field with these movies. It is EVERYTHING I wanted them to be and more!

Rey, Fin, Poe, Kylo, These are some amazing characters and I have all the same feelings for them the way I did with Luke, Han, Yoda and a lot of the originals. Watching these movies makes me feel 10 years old again and now all I want to do is go buy a replica light saber and swing it around my house!

Side note, I will never ever forget being lucky enough to meet Mark Hamill at Fan Expo Canada a couple years back. I told him how much star wars meant to me and he said to me wait, you haven't seen nothing yet. Boy was he right! 

7 hours ago, TheRealVenom said:

I have to say this, i'm probably alone here, The Force Awakens and Last Jedi by FAR and I mean FAR and away have been the BEST Star Wars movies yet!

Wow....better than the original trilogy?  I haven’t been able to connect with any of these characters but glad that someone was able to connect at such a high degree.

7 hours ago, TheRealVenom said:

Side note, I will never ever forget being lucky enough to meet Mark Hamill at Fan Expo Canada a couple years back. I told him how much star wars meant to me and he said to me wait, you haven't seen nothing yet. Boy was he right! 

I can’t help but wonder if he said this prior to knowing the highlight of his character in the future would be drinking milk out of an Alien teat. 

22 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Slight correction:

It's now sitting at # 46 on the all-time domestic list (when adjusting for inflation).

(Where The Force Awakens sits at # 11 and Jurassic World sits at # 24).

This is the true list, because Gone With the Wind was still seen by more eyes than any other movie, and The Exorcist and Beverly Hills Cop are still the most-watched R-Rated movies of all time.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

Slight correction:

It's now sitting at # 46 on the all-time domestic list (when adjusting for inflation).

This is the true list, because Gone With the Wind was still seen by more eyes than any other movie, and The Exorcist and Beverly Hills Cop are still the most-watched R-Rated movies of all time.

None of those 3 movies would make anything like their adjusted dollar amounts today.  There's 500 channels, internet streaming of everything not playing, 18 different screens in every theater, and a Redbox on every corner if you just wait a few months. 

It's a fun calculation to do adjusted-for-inflation and today's dollars, but it doesn't mean anything when we all know Gone With The Wind wouldn't make $50,000,000 today... and most of that would be from people wanting to see why it is being boycotted.

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Slight correction:

(Where The Force Awakens sits at # 11 and Jurassic World sits at # 24).

Not a correction but more a different view in taking into consideration Adjusted USD.

But I get the concern, in that some of those early movies were box office monsters for their time. But like Greg noted - and part of the challenge when comparing such vastly different times - it's not always such an easy comparison.

Edited by Bosco685

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

None of those 3 movies would make anything like their adjusted dollar amounts today.  There's 500 channels, internet streaming of everything not playing, 18 different screens in every theater, and a Redbox on every corner if you just wait a few months. 

It's a fun calculation to do adjusted-for-inflation and today's dollars, but it doesn't mean anything when we all know Gone With The Wind wouldn't make $50,000,000 today... and most of that would be from people wanting to see why it is being boycotted.

Yes, but in another past era Star Wars would have been considered a "dumb space movie" by many and wouldn't have made a fraction of what it did in 1977. So it all evens out.

29 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

Yes, but in another past era Star Wars would have been considered a "dumb space movie" by many and wouldn't have made a fraction of what it did in 1977. So it all evens out.

Past... or present? hm

6 hours ago, Chip Cataldo said:

FB_IMG_1516661386992.jpg

On 1/19/2018 at 3:05 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

The hate has transferred into this thread. 

Hmm...where have I heard this before....

Edited by zhamlau

On 1/22/2018 at 9:31 AM, valiantman said:

Some more cut footage scenes coming out. See at 3:30 

Edited by Rip

Star Wars: Rian Johnson Wouldn't Change 'The Last Jedi,' Despite Backlash

Many audiences commended the bold decisions by writer/director Rian Johnson, yet an incredibly vocal minority took issue with the ambitious avenues the film explored, resulting in Johnson being subjected to passionate hatred. Despite the unexpected hatred directed towards the filmmaker, Johnson claimed he'd make all the same decisions were he to have to make the film all over again.

The filmmaker explained to The /Filmcast that on the film's Thursday night opening, he was killing time before many planned introductions at various screenings, when a series of "hate tweets" began pouring in.

“The crazy thing is, I had no perspective on these tweets. I had no perspective in terms of how big a group of people this was, even what they were upset about specifically," Johnson revealed. "Over the next few weeks, I was able to contextualize it and feel much better about it. But at the time, I thought, ‘Oh my god, does everybody hate this? Did I totally mess up, was I wrong?’ And I had a very dark hour of the soul…because I had no context for this.”

Johnson referred to being inundated with those hate tweets as a "hellish hour," yet eventually came to grips with the naysayers being in the minority.

Ignoring the hatred was easier said than done, with Johnson admitting, “When even 5% of the people are saying, ‘You ruined Star Wars, I hope you die,’ that’s what you’re going to listen to.”

When asked point blank if he'd change any of his decisions, Johnson merely stated, "No, I don't think so."

He added, “I don’t even know what that kind of approach would be. You have a way that you tell stories…you just do that.”

What makes Johnson's attitude so much more fascinating is how regularly he engages with followers on social media, even those who try to point out errors in his film-making. He has earned the right to avoid social media for the next few months, yet has made himself incredibly accessible to fans.

“There’s nothing I’ve read or seen that’s made me think, ‘Oh god, I did kind of mess that up, I would’ve done that differently if I could go back,'” Johnson confirmed. “I still genuinely believe in all the decisions I’ve made.”

He didn't say only 5% disliked it. He was saying if even 5% disliked it , that's what you are going to listen to. But they are the minority.

“When even 5% of the people are saying, ‘You ruined Star Wars, I hope you die,’ that’s what you’re going to listen to.”

Edited by Rip