• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,799 posts in this topic

It's obvious that there are sinister motives behind the negative ratings for Black Panther, and it's nauseating. But the same thing doesn't apply, except maybe to a very minor degree, with TLJ. It's very obvious, reading the SW fansites, that fans are completely divided on this movie. Some people can't just accept that a lot of people really did not like this movie. It's the most divisive SW movie ever made, and that includes TPM and AOTC.

2 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

It's obvious that there are sinister motives behind the negative ratings for Black Panther, and it's nauseating. But the same thing doesn't apply, except maybe to a very minor degree, with TLJ. It's very obvious, reading the SW fansites, that fans are completely divided on this movie. Some people can't just accept that a lot of people really did not like this movie. It's the most divisive SW movie ever made, and that includes TPM and AOTC.

It most certainly had an impact TLJ. With the SJW / alt right wing backlash. Although clearly not as much as Black Panther. I've seen nothing that shows TLJ more divided on the fan sites than TPM, and I would say its less based on polling. (Although if you look at IMDB, RT and Metacritic, then yes of course) While there are very debatable parts, I wouldn't say the movie overall is a bad one.

The largest poll I've seen so far at the fan sites was www.starwarsnewsnet.com they had 86% give it an 6-10 score, 62% was 8-10 with over 5,500 votes. https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2017/12/poll-how-would-you-rate-star-wars-the-last-jedi.html

If there's any other larger scale ones I'd be happy to see them. (aside from the many smaller ones here and there)

No one is saying there is aren't angry fans, but the polling time and time again shows its now where near as bad as something like RT.

Edited by Rip

It's not a bad movie,  but the way Luke's character was handled was very polarizing. And among the GA many found it overlong and boring in parts. Most of the people I know who saw it were very "meh" about it.

Lots of people had problems with this movie, just go on YouTube and you'll see. I'm not talking about all the ones that jumped on the wagon but the ones who posted after they saw it in those first few days. Like I said I went with eight friends and one liked it. You had three older guys including me in this group that you would call original fans one in the middle and four younger guys. It was bad, seriously. I know that's just my two cents. (shrug)

13 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

It's the most divisive SW movie ever made, and that includes TPM and AOTC.

It absolutely, positively is not more divisive than those two films.  I've been listening to fans trash George Lucas non-stop for almost two decades now for those movies.  You TLJ haters need to up your game and start talking about how Rian Johnson raped your childhood so you can catch up to the hyperbole of all the Lucas prequel haters out there.  :makepoint:

I don't even get it with AOTC.  He gave us the bad-assest Yoda we've ever seen, Jango Fett, and a ton of great battle scenes.  That redeems him for all the cheese in that film.

Edited by fantastic_four

I think a quick way to keep people from pumping up or downplaying a movie before it comes out is to not allow fans from a region to review it until the movie comes out. OR you could just simply turn off reviews until 2 hours after the first showings occur where ever it has its first ticket buying audience premier. That way its at least possible to cut down people on either side of a movie from trying to adjust it weeks before it comes out.

5 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

It absolutely, positively is not more divisive than those two films.  I've been listening to fans trash George Lucas non-stop for almost two decades now for those movies.  You TLJ haters need to up your game and start talking about how Rian Johnson raped your childhood so you can catch up to the hyperbole of all the Lucas prequel haters out there.  :makepoint:

I don't even get it with AOTC.  He gave us the bad-assest Yoda we've ever seen, Jango Fett, and a ton of great battle scenes.  That redeems him for all the cheese in that film.

You'll get no argument from me about AOTC. Despite the dopey romantic dialogue, the stuff with Obi Wan and Christopher Lee is cool,.and the arena battle is pure fun. 

I'm witnessing something strange, though. A lot of the Prequel haters on the fansites are starting to say, after seeing TLJ, "Maybe they weren't so bad after all". Complaints about midichlorians and Anakin hating sand are trivial when compared with ruining Luke Skywalker as a character.

2 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

I'm witnessing something strange, though. A lot of the Prequel haters on the fansites are starting to say, after seeing TLJ, "Maybe they weren't so bad after all". Complaints about midichlorians and Anakin hating sand are trivial when compared with ruining Luke Skywalker as a character.

THIS is what makes them realize that?  All that tells me is they're the same overly-judgmental flakes I've thought they were since 1999, adults parsing children's films with the minds of adults instead of children. 

22 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

You'll get no argument from me about AOTC. Despite the dopey romantic dialogue, the stuff with Obi Wan and Christopher Lee is cool,.and the arena battle is pure fun. 

I think the issue is that TJL was a incoherent continuity busting poorly written mess. AOTC and TPM were just poorly written, acted, and directed but at least they sort of made sense.  Just because they aren't sad clown awful like TLJ doesn't mean they still don't suck.

I enjoyed TLJ, but I'm not sure it has any scenes that would make my top ten list for epic Star Wars moments.  I'm not sure Force Awakens had one of those either.  Most of those are in the prequels.

I haven't tried to create a ranked list, but on there would be Darth Maul vs. Qui-Jonn and Obi-Wan, Yoda vs. Dooku, Luke vs. Vader where he reveals that he's Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan vs. Anakin, Jango vs. Obi-Wan, Grievous vs. Obi-Wan, Vader vs. the Rebels in Rogue One and a few others I'm sure I'm overlooking at the moment.  That's why I never got all the prequel hate during the 90s and 2000s...despite the bad Lucas character dialogue moments, almost ALL of the most epic Star Wars moments were in those films!

The highlight of Force Awakens was probably either Han and Ben or Kylo vs. Rey, but those seem tame as compared to those prequel highlights.  Snoke getting punked doesn't make the top 20.

Any ranked list like that would probably have to include the cartoons, too, but I haven't seen them all yet to even factor them in.  Slowly making my way through Clone Wars and haven't even started Rebels yet.

Edited by fantastic_four

51 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

Not this hater. They could've raped Luke with his own lightsaber and I'd still rank it above TPM.

3 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I think the issue is that TJL was a incoherent continuity busting poorly written mess. AOTC and TPM were just poorly written, acted, and directed but at least they sort of made sense.  Just because they aren't sad clown awful like TLJ doesn't mean they still don't suck.

At least TPM and AOTC felt like Star Wars. Maybe poorly executed Star Wars, but clearly a true part of the story.

3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

THIS is what makes them realize that?  All that tells me is they're the same overly-judgmental flakes I've thought they were since 1999, adults parsing children's films with the minds of adults instead of children. 

No arguments from me on that point. I've never seen such whining over movies as I did when TPM was released. AOTC had a better reception when it was first released, but then really was attacked months after. At least ROTS was well accepted without too many complaints, and is still highly rated on most movie sites.

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I enjoyed TLJ, but I'm not sure it has any scenes that would make my top ten list for epic Star Wars moments.  I'm not sure Force Awakens had one of those either.  Most of those are in the prequels.

I haven't tried to create a ranked list, but on there would be Darth Maul vs. Qui-Jonn and Obi-Wan, Yoda vs. Dooku, Luke vs. Vader where he reveals that he's Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan vs. Anakin, Jango vs. Obi-Wan, Grievous vs. Obi-Wan, Vader vs. the Rebels in Rogue One and a few others I'm sure I'm overlooking at the moment.  That's why I never got all the prequel hate during the 90s and 2000s...despite the bad Lucas character dialogue moments, almost ALL of the most epic Star Wars moments were in those films!

The highlight of Force Awakens was probably either Han and Ben or Kylo vs. Rey, but those seem tame as compared to those prequel highlights.  Snoke getting punked doesn't make the top 20.

Any ranked list like that would probably have to include the cartoons, too, but I haven't seen them all yet to even factor them in.  Slowly making my way through Clone Wars and haven't even started Rebels yet.

I liked the Prequels too. I understood many of the complaints, but there were so many great action scenes, and I loved seeing so much of Palpatine. He's one of the biggest highlights of the entire series. I would love to see Disney make a Darth Sidious movie as part of their anthology series.

15 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I liked the Prequels too. I understood many of the complaints, but there were so many great action scenes, and I loved seeing so much of Palpatine. He's one of the biggest highlights of the entire series. I would love to see Disney make a Darth Sidious movie as part of their anthology series.

I agree, Ian McDiarmid is an acting highlight of Return of the Jedi and all three prequels.

The prequels were uneven, but filled with amazing moments and action sequences. TFA was a lot more tame, didn't hate it at all, but was way too even-keel with few stand out moments. 

Edited by Rip

On 14/02/2018 at 3:50 AM, zhamlau said:

I'm biased here, because I didn't like TLJ. In fact, among my group of rabid SW friends, only one of us loved the film. The rest overall disliked or just plain hated it. I think another reason it flopped so hard for people is because Disney had been on a bit of a roll since getting good the license. People mostly enjoyed TFA and R1, so this felt like a big and sudden fall.