• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,799 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

New article out where Bob Iger takes the blame for poor performance of recent Star Wars movies.  Seems weird to do that if everything was going so great like some seem to think.

Well, he did hire whoever hired Rian Johnson to write and direct The Last Jedi, so...

He shares a (low) percentage of the blame. It's mostly on Rian Johnson, though. He sucks.

I want to put Episode VIII behind me, though, and stop talking about it. I've person_without_enough_empathyed so much for so long. I just want Episode IX to be good. I have trust and optimism in JJ Abrams. He said that he's going to bring a lot of the first 6 movies into this one, like he did with The Force Awakens, but he also wants to do a lot more original things.

He takes the blame for putting out the movies TOO QUICKLY, as in Solo was a mere 6 months after VIII. HE is to blame for that - he makes the final decision on release dates. They should've waited until fall like all the rest of them.

“made the timing decision, and as I look back, I think the mistake that I made — I take the blame — was a little too much, too fast.”

In June, The Hollywood Reporter spoke with people familiar with Lucasfilm in the aftermath of its release, and they said that Lucasfilm was “regrouping” and working out its strategy for the post-Episode IX era for the franchise. They did note that the projects in development weren’t being canceled, but the studio was taking time to rethink its timing and production schedule. Part of that appears to be a slower release tempo for the company. Iger explained that, moving forward, Disney is “going to be a little bit more careful about volume and timing.” 

In other words: the problem is we released Solo too soon after VIII. Seems clear as day to me.

7 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

n other words: the problem is we released Solo too soon after VIII. Seems clear as day to me.

What's unclear is if he's saying he rushed production and quality suffered or if you release too many films in too little time that the fan market gets oversaturated and less people want to go see your film.  It seems clear the problem is the former, but that he stated it just generically enough to imply the latter.  The reason it's clear he rushes it too much is that he probably lost Abrams on Episode VIII because he had such a difficult experience directing Episode VII.  He and Kennedy fought Iger tooth and nail to delay the release date but Iger stuck firmly to it.  Abrams soldiered through it well, but I assumed the stress and insanely long hours prevented him from wanting to repeat the experience.  Abrams doesn't state it that way publicly, but it makes more sense than the reasons he usually gives for not directing another installment of his favorite film series.

Edited by fantastic_four

9 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

He takes the blame for putting out the movies TOO QUICKLY, as in Solo was a mere 6 months after VIII. HE is to blame for that - he makes the final decision on release dates. They should've waited until fall like all the rest of them.

“made the timing decision, and as I look back, I think the mistake that I made — I take the blame — was a little too much, too fast.”

In June, The Hollywood Reporter spoke with people familiar with Lucasfilm in the aftermath of its release, and they said that Lucasfilm was “regrouping” and working out its strategy for the post-Episode IX era for the franchise. They did note that the projects in development weren’t being canceled, but the studio was taking time to rethink its timing and production schedule. Part of that appears to be a slower release tempo for the company. Iger explained that, moving forward, Disney is “going to be a little bit more careful about volume and timing.” 

In other words: the problem is we released Solo too soon after VIII. Seems clear as day to me.

Oh, I couldn't care less about Solo. I don't think any amount of extended production time could make that film much more money. The financial loss on Solo is partly based on the fanbase being screwed by Rian Johnson and The Last Jedi. Almost every person I know or talked to said they weren't going to see Solo for that reason. We wanted to put our money where our mouths are and it seems to have paid off by Johnson's post-IX trilogy being "cancelled".

If the CEO is just taking blame for Solo's financial loss by thinking a December release would've made things whole or better, then he's misunderstanding half of why it was a loss. I would've gone to see Solo, even multiple times, regardless of trailers/etc if Episode XIII was any good. It wasn't, and Disney/Lucasfilms missed out on hundreds of my dollars just because of that.

14 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Oh, I couldn't care less about Solo. I don't think any amount of extended production time could make that film much more money. The financial loss on Solo is partly based on the fanbase being screwed by Rian Johnson and The Last Jedi.

Based on the article, that's not what Iger believes.

Almost every person I know or talked to said they weren't going to see Solo for that reason. We wanted to put our money where our mouths are and it seems to have paid off by Johnson's post-IX trilogy being "cancelled".

According to that article it is NOT canceled.

If the CEO is just taking blame for Solo's financial loss by thinking a December release would've made things whole or better, then he's misunderstanding half of why it was a loss.

His track record for understanding the market is far superior to yours. 

I would've gone to see Solo, even multiple times, regardless of trailers/etc if Episode XIII was any good. It wasn't, and Disney/Lucasfilms missed out on hundreds of my dollars just because of that.

So based on what you're claiming, Episode IX should be a flop? Or will 'everyone you know' not be putting their money where their mouths are for that one?

In other words, when IX comes out in December of 2019 and does $1.5 Billion + worldwide at the box office, what will your excuse be then? Why didn't everyone boycott that movie?

Iger wins. Because IX will be a hit and it'll prove to him that a) released in December they can still produce a billion dollar star wars movie, and b) the fans didn't boycott Solo, it just performed poorly because it was released too quickly, c) he doesn't have to change anything else with how it's run (i.e. KK) and d) they don't have to change anything for the vocal MINORITY of Star Wars fans who think they can dictate how to run HIS franchise.

This is what he’s setting up in his comments.

48 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

So based on what you're claiming, Episode IX should be a flop? Or will 'everyone you know' not be putting their money where their mouths are for that one?

In other words, when IX comes out in December of 2019 and does $1.5 Billion + worldwide at the box office, what will your excuse be then? Why didn't everyone boycott that movie?

Iger wins. Because IX will be a hit and it'll prove to him that a) released in December they can still produce a billion dollar star wars movie, and b) the fans didn't boycott Solo, it just performed poorly because it was released too quickly, c) he doesn't have to change anything else with how it's run (i.e. KK) and d) they don't have to change anything for the vocal MINORITY of Star Wars fans who think they can dictate how to run HIS franchise.

LividOptimalCanvasback-small.gif

On 9/21/2018 at 11:13 PM, Chuck Gower said:

In what world does, "too much too fast", not mean that he thinks extended production would lead to better results..? This is remedial English.

The Disney CEO is not the leader for Lucasfilms, who has implied, and internally decided that Johnson will not helm a post-IX trilogy. I couldn't care less about this article's lack of information.

His track record for understanding the market obviously isn't that great if he's admitting that he didn't understand how rushed production would harm the film's financial gains...

Most casual Star Wars fans only care about the current "Skywalker Saga". The main episodic films. If they bomb, casual fans don't care for a crappy follow-up tweener movies (Rogue One and Solo). Every casual person I know of saw Rogue One because The Force Awakens was, at minimum, a good movie.

I'll be seeing Episode IX once. If it's great, I'll see it many times, and my critical film opinions are regarded positively by everyone I share them with. Hundreds of people do or do not see movies at my recommendation. So, yes, money will be put where mouths and faith are.

Iger wins at life because he's Chairman and CEO of Disney. If Episode IX sucks, Disney/Lucasfilm will not "win", because for hundreds of people I know that would be the final blow to modern Star Wars culture.

Edited by TwoPiece
Typos.

2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

...I'll see it many times, and my critical film opinions are regarded positively by everyone I share them with. Hundreds of people do or do not see movies at my recommendation. So, yes, money will be put where mouths and faith are.

image.png.8f3d33abc46cbfc477a537bf5ac36d19.png

Are you @dgarthwaite-migration?

5 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

No idea who that is.

I don't really see the humor. Just because people don't agree with or respect your opinion on movies and shows, doesn't mean that other people experience the same.

It's not your opinion of the movie that I find the humor in.

Edited by awakeintheashes

12 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

It's not your opinion of the movie that I find the humor in.

I know. You think it's funny that hundreds of people respect my opinions and recommendations. I talk to dozens of co-workers through 4 different companies, my family, my friends, and acquaintances through other forums. They spread the word to their co-workers and friends, and the majority of these people take my word on movies and TV shows. They typically agree with my assessments and opinions on these things and I tend to save them time and money on things I/they would rather avoid.

I'm not claiming that I have hundreds of friends or anything, but, my opinions do reach hundreds of people. Most of these people are casual moviegoers and casual TV watchers. They have almost identical interests in what they want from stories, themes, and action. 95% of the time, if I tell them it's a waste of time and money, they take my word and watch for "free" on TV later.

Edited by TwoPiece

On 9/24/2018 at 9:27 AM, TwoPiece said:

I know. You think it's funny that hundreds of people respect my opinions and recommendations. I talk to dozens of co-workers through 4 different companies, my family, my friends, and acquaintances through other forums. They spread the word to their co-workers and friends, and the majority of these people take my word on movies and TV shows. They typically agree with my assessments and opinions on these things and I tend to save them time and money on things I/they would rather avoid.

I'm not claiming that I have hundreds of friends or anything, but, my opinions do reach hundreds of people. Most of these people are casual moviegoers and casual TV watchers. They have almost identical interests in what they want from stories, themes, and action. 95% of the time, if I tell them it's a waste of time and money, they take my word and watch for "free" on TV later.

Wow.  “Hundreds”.  @Chuck Gower, you impressed yet?  I mean, let’s face it, those hundreds could easily sink Episode IX’s rake at the box office.

On 9/24/2018 at 7:53 AM, TwoPiece said:

In what world does, "too much too fast", not mean that he thinks extended production would lead to better results..? This is remedial English.

In a world where the first three movies were released one year apart, and the one that didn't do anywhere near as well was released six months after the last one?

The Disney CEO is not the leader for Lucasfilms, who has implied, and internally decided that Johnson will not helm a post-IX trilogy. I couldn't care less about this article's lack of information.

No. Proof. None. Zero. Zilch.

His track record for understanding the market obviously isn't that great if he's admitting that he didn't understand how rushed production would harm the film's financial gains...

Yeah, he just oversees the entire Star Wars franchise, Marvel franchise, Disney universe, and his success is pretty much respected by everyone in the business. Yours? Not so much.

Most casual Star Wars fans only care about the current "Skywalker Saga". The main episodic films. If they bomb, casual fans don't care for a crappy follow-up tweener movies (Rogue One and Solo). Every casual person I know of saw Rogue One because The Force Awakens was, at minimum, a good movie.

I'll be seeing Episode IX once. If it's great, I'll see it many times, and my critical film opinions are regarded positively by everyone I share them with. Hundreds of people do or do not see movies at my recommendation. So, yes, money will be put where mouths and faith are.

Iger wins at life because he's Chairman and CEO of Disney. If Episode IX sucks, Disney/Lucasfilm will not "win", because for hundreds of people I know that would be the final blow to modern Star Wars culture.

Hilarious beyond belief. 

9 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Wow.  “Hundreds”.  @Chuck Gower, you impressed yet?  I mean, let’s face it, those hundreds could easily sink Episode IX’s rake at the box office.

Nice hyperbole. Hundreds of people still equates to thousands of dollars. You don't have to be a jack wagon. I'm guessing that you're one of those folks who thinks their/everyone's "1 vote" doesn't matter. All it takes is 1 person to start and influence a revelation. Am I starting one? Probably not, but I'll do my part to voice my "outrage" for a crappy movie that kills enthusiasm for a franchise.

4 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

In a world where the first three movies were released one year apart, and the one that didn't do anywhere near as well was released six months after the last one?

No. Proof. None. Zero. Zilch.

Yeah, he just oversees the entire Star Wars franchise, Marvel franchise, Disney universe, and his success is pretty much respected by everyone in the business. Yours? Not so much.

Hilarious beyond belief. 

You obviously have no idea how any of this works... lol

5 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Yeah. Star Wars and Nike. They'll both be out of business any day now! :insane:

Cannot agree any more with this than I already do.  Those angry that Star Wars ruined their childhood need to seriously reevaluate their childhood.