• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's been 50 YEARS...show us your books from 1966!

262 posts in this topic

Looks like my writing (I didn't even notice it before), but I have no idea what it meant...I was 13...it appears to be a code of some kind relating to that book or the number of comics I had...maybe 150 comics (CL in roman numerals), and that was number 150? Remember, back then we didn't think of comics in terms of making big money off them in the future. Otherwise all my drugstore books would be 9.8s... lol

A reprint book for Marvel's new fans in 1966.

FM2F%20Apr66_zpsrkoaqlwb.jpg

Between FM, MT, and MCIC, it was hard NOT to become a back issue collector back in the day. The first back issue I ever bought through the mail was Marvel Tales 4..... I had seen the ads and wanted to read what I thought was the first Vulture. When I got it a couple of months later I realized it was actually the second Vulture.... but I was hooked on mail order. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I agree -- between the House Ads...

SF8HA1.jpg

SF8HA2.jpg

... and the covers reproduced on the early covers of MCIC and Marvel Tales ...

MCIC4%20Aug66F_zpspl5isdgy.jpg

... I was able to find out who appeared in what early Marvel issues.

I would keep notes as a kid, defining an issue by what villain the hero fought. :grin:

A reprint book for Marvel's new fans in 1966.

FM2F%20Apr66_zpsrkoaqlwb.jpg

Between FM, MT, and MCIC, it was hard NOT to become a back issue collector back in the day. The first back issue I ever bought through the mail was Marvel Tales 4..... I had seen the ads and wanted to read what I thought was the first Vulture. When I got it a couple of months later I realized it was actually the second Vulture.... but I was hooked on mail order. GOD BLESS...

I agree -- between the House Ads...

SF8HA1.jpg

SF8HA2.jpg

... and the covers reproduced on the early covers of MCIC and Marvel Tales ...

MCIC4%20Aug66F_zpspl5isdgy.jpg

... I was able to find out who appeared in what early Marvel issues.

I would keep notes as a kid, defining an issue by what villain the hero fought. :grin:

.... I know lol .......I made my own indexes pre- overstreet ..... using just the ads and the reprints.... GOD BLESS...

I am feeling old, that FF 49 is the first Marvel ever I can recall purchasing. At a 5 and 10 type store in Brooklyn, NY. The cover captivated me. I can actually remember when I first saw it. Not the first comic I ever purchased though. I was a DC collector, and I was 5 (!) and walking to a soda fountain/ sandwich shop a few blocks away from our house with a dollar or 2 in my pocket, and I think the first book, or it was included in a batch of books, was a JLA 34, or that JLA 80 page giant from 1964. Imagine a 5 year old walking even 2 or 3 blocks today, by himself, with, considering inflation, about 10 bucks in his pocket? Times have changed.

And unlike our fellow collector, Brian, who still has all his drugstore books, mine are long gone. When we moved in 1966, my mom threw them all out. I had a nice stack by then, about 80 to 100 books. I am glad that didn't discourage me. Even as a kid, I would have never belived that over 50 years later, I would still be involved with comics. A life long hobby.

Congrats to Brian. To have the actual books he purchased 50 years ago is almost as impressive as being married for 50 years. And maybe More Fun, for some people.

Last Action of 1966 (came out in Dec.)...from the drugstore next door...

dbihpc.jpg

This is so weird...when I posted this book in the thread it had a completely different pic that wasn't even in my pictures...so I re-uploaded it to tinypic and hopefully got the right image...anyway, here's the last Action of 1966...

This book is actually from 1965, but is dated Jan 1966. While it is from the infamous drugstore, it has a dust shadow...but this comic was the catalyst for me to seek out golden age books.

2qbawl5.jpg

..... and someday I hope to own a Superman 19.......although I expect it will be more than 30 dollars. GOD BLESS....

Mine was $10 at Collector's Bookstore...in 1966...I was surprised to find both those stories in the same book...I think it's at least a $30 book today... hm

2j67d6p.jpg

(worship)

Jimbo,

Have you checked your PM's lately?

Joe

I am feeling old, that FF 49 is the first Marvel ever I can recall purchasing. At a 5 and 10 type store in Brooklyn, NY. The cover captivated me. I can actually remember when I first saw it. Not the first comic I ever purchased though. I was a DC collector, and I was 5 (!) and walking to a soda fountain/ sandwich shop a few blocks away from our house with a dollar or 2 in my pocket, and I think the first book, or it was included in a batch of books, was a JLA 34, or that JLA 80 page giant from 1964. Imagine a 5 year old walking even 2 or 3 blocks today, by himself, with, considering inflation, about 10 bucks in his pocket? Times have changed.

And unlike our fellow collector, Brian, who still has all his drugstore books, mine are long gone. When we moved in 1966, my mom threw them all out. I had a nice stack by then, about 80 to 100 books. I am glad that didn't discourage me. Even as a kid, I would have never belived that over 50 years later, I would still be involved with comics. A life long hobby.

Congrats to Brian. To have the actual books he purchased 50 years ago is almost as impressive as being married for 50 years. And maybe More Fun, for some people.

I've just entered the 45 year mark of the oldest book I still own...actually the only one left after re-entering the hobby in 2001 after many dormant years but having retained approximately 750 Marvel books from my youth. Stopped buying them pretty much in high school approx. 1973 senior year...but the one I still have is Fantastic Four 1 (qualified 2.0 version after finally sending it into CGC with 2 married pages) but purchased mail order through a fanzine ad in 1971 (sophomore year in HS) for $0.50 cents...taped 2 quarters to a 3x5 index card, sent it off and crossed my fingers...arrived a couple weeks later safe and sound...and yes...just turned 61 this past NYE and my attachment to these beautiful books is probably as strong as ever (despite me selling off many books and trying to steer my now small collection into initial HG runs)...still love the books. The movies...mehmeh ...not so much :insane:lol

I've just entered the 45 year mark of the oldest book I still own...actually the only one left after re-entering the hobby in 2001 after many dormant years but having retained approximately 750 Marvel books from my youth. Stopped buying them pretty much in high school approx. 1973 senior year...but the one I still have is Fantastic Four 1 (qualified 2.0 version after finally sending it into CGC with 2 married pages) but purchased mail order through a fanzine ad in 1971 (sophomore year in HS) for $0.50 cents...taped 2 quarters to a 3x5 index card, sent it off and crossed my fingers...arrived a couple weeks later safe and sound...and yes...just turned 61 this past NYE and my attachment to these beautiful books is probably as strong as ever (despite me selling off many books and trying to steer my now small collection into initial HG runs)...still love the books. The movies...mehmeh ...not so much :insane:lol

I think many of us enter and re-enter the hobby depending on what outside issues we are dealing with or not dealing with...congrats on still having the FF1!!!! (thumbs u

Here's my only Flash from 1966...and it's NOT from the drugstore...

So I take it you basically stuck to the Superman/Superboy and Batman titles in 1966? Were you not interested in the other DC comics or did they just not show up at your local drug store?

???

I was a DC collector, and I was 5 (!) and walking to a soda fountain/ sandwich shop a few blocks away from our house with a dollar or 2 in my pocket, and I think the first book, or it was included in a batch of books, was a JLA 34, or that JLA 80 page giant from 1964. Imagine a 5 year old walking even 2 or 3 blocks today, by himself, with, considering inflation, about 10 bucks in his pocket? Times have changed.

Yes, times have changed. I'm sure the present crop of helicopter parents would be hyperventilating at the thought of an unaccompanied five year old walking a few blocks to the store or kindegarten.

But that was a hell of a lot of money for a five year old in 1964! Your parents must have been rich.

Incidentally, is the soda fountain/sandwich shop still operating in that spot?

???