• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's been 50 YEARS...show us your books from 1966!

262 posts in this topic

I actually found the money in the street, on the block I lived on.The soda fountain shop is long gone...

The full story is that I found $5 on the street, and went to the soda fountain shop with 2 or 3 other friends, and we went about 3 or 4 days straight. I treated them and myself every day we went, to a milk shake, or malted.

The first time we went there, the guy making them actually said to me, "Kid, where did you get this 5 dollar bill?"

I said, "oh, my mom gave it to me" I lied through my teeth.

He said okay, and after that he didn't ask again, and we had a great time for 3 or 4 days.

Three of four kids walking into the place together, no parents, sitting on the stools that were taller then us, lined up, one after another, 5 or 6 years old, drinking our malted and egg creams and shakes, must have been quite a picture, now that I am thinking about it.

At the end of the 3 or 4 days, I had about 2 dollars left and just purchased about 15 or so comics with that money.

Now that I am thinking about it, funny my parents didn't ask about all those comics, or did they even notice?

I am feeling old, that FF 49 is the first Marvel ever I can recall purchasing. At a 5 and 10 type store in Brooklyn, NY. The cover captivated me. I can actually remember when I first saw it. Not the first comic I ever purchased though. I was a DC collector, and I was 5 (!) and walking to a soda fountain/ sandwich shop a few blocks away from our house with a dollar or 2 in my pocket, and I think the first book, or it was included in a batch of books, was a JLA 34, or that JLA 80 page giant from 1964. Imagine a 5 year old walking even 2 or 3 blocks today, by himself, with, considering inflation, about 10 bucks in his pocket? Times have changed.

And unlike our fellow collector, Brian, who still has all his drugstore books, mine are long gone. When we moved in 1966, my mom threw them all out. I had a nice stack by then, about 80 to 100 books. I am glad that didn't discourage me. Even as a kid, I would have never belived that over 50 years later, I would still be involved with comics. A life long hobby.

Congrats to Brian. To have the actual books he purchased 50 years ago is almost as impressive as being married for 50 years. And maybe More Fun, for some people.

I've just entered the 45 year mark of the oldest book I still own...actually the only one left after re-entering the hobby in 2001 after many dormant years but having retained approximately 750 Marvel books from my youth. Stopped buying them pretty much in high school approx. 1973 senior year...but the one I still have is Fantastic Four 1 (qualified 2.0 version after finally sending it into CGC with 2 married pages) but purchased mail order through a fanzine ad in 1971 (sophomore year in HS) for $0.50 cents...taped 2 quarters to a 3x5 index card, sent it off and crossed my fingers...arrived a couple weeks later safe and sound...and yes...just turned 61 this past NYE and my attachment to these beautiful books is probably as strong as ever (despite me selling off many books and trying to steer my now small collection into initial HG runs)...still love the books. The movies...mehmeh ...not so much :insane:lol

Congrats on having that FF 1 for so long. In his day and age, I don't think there are many collectors who can say they have owned the same book for 45 or 50 years. I think the longest I ever owned the same comics was for around 20 or 25 years at the most. I was constantly upgrading, and changing the focus of my collection around.

The movies, I like them better then ever.

Especially the older ones.

Been reading a lot about Brando. All that talent, and genius, and yet so tormented.

Here's my only Flash from 1966...and it's NOT from the drugstore...

So I take it you basically stuck to the Superman/Superboy and Batman titles in 1966? Were you not interested in the other DC comics or did they just not show up at your local drug store?

???

1) I didn't have more than a 75 cent allowance per week...

2) I had no job...

3) The other titles didn't interest me then..

4) I just bought Mad magazine and the Superman/Batman titles...

5) Collecting an assortment of titles and genres was an evolutionary process for me...it took time

Here's my only Flash from 1966...and it's NOT from the drugstore...

jzz32u.jpg

Always appreciated Murphy Anderson's "signature" in the Bible.

Pretty clever.

That is all. Carry on (thumbs u < - - the good one

I had to stare at that bible for awhile before I saw his name and figured out what you were talking about...never noticed that before... :o

These are all from the drugstore... :banana: but only 160 was from 1966.

20260781991_bfd46fec01_c.jpg

I usually purchased from the drugstore on the east side of Monroe, MI but some comics were purchased in Toledo and Ypsilanti at drug stores near the universities.

I actually found the money in the street, on the block I lived on.The soda fountain shop is long gone...

The full story is that I found $5 on the street, and went to the soda fountain shop with 2 or 3 other friends, and we went about 3 or 4 days straight. I treated them and myself every day we went, to a milk shake, or malted.

The first time we went there, the guy making them actually said to me, "Kid, where did you get this 5 dollar bill?"

He said okay, and after that he didn't ask again, and we had a great time for 3 or 4 days.

Three of four kids walking into the place together, no parents, sitting on the stools that were taller then us, lined up, one after another, 5 or 6 years old, drinking our malted and egg creams and shakes, must have been quite a picture, now that I am thinking about it.

At the end of the 3 or 4 days, I had about 2 dollars left and just purchased about 15 or so comics with that money.

Now that I am thinking about it, funny my parents didn't ask about all those comics, or did they even notice?

This is a pretty funny/cool story and I have many similar. My parents were divorced when I was about 5 and after a few years when I was about 8 or 9 we were left on our own in summers while my mom worked full time. We'd beg/borrow and return mostly soda pop bottles for refunds and scare up some cash and get a cheeseburger and malt occasionally at the downtown J.J. Newberry's which had a soda fountain and lunch counter. Thinking burgers then were about 25 cents and fountain drinks the same or a little more. These were dream burgers and pretty sure before a MacDonalds showed up within walking distance as the primary sauce was either Miracle Whip or mayonnaise. I can still see it.

Also a couple/few years later...when we were like 12 (6th grade) we would thumb to the beach (about 2 miles away) on the main drag...my mom's advice..."don't take any rides from any sailors..." :insane: WTF? We didn't even know what it meant... :devil:

MacDonalds when it did finally arrive burgers were 15 cents. Just 3 cents more than a comic. Good times! lol

Maybe we should start a drugstore books thread... :D

Good idea and then we can do a favorite local comic shop thread like Roy's Memory Shop, Houston, and the Curious Book Store, East Lansing. :banana:

This is a pretty funny/cool story and I have many similar. My parents were divorced when I was about 5 and after a few years when I was about 8 or 9 we were left on our own in summers while my mom worked full time. We'd beg/borrow and return mostly soda pop bottles for refunds and scare up some cash and get a cheeseburger and malt occasionally at the downtown J.J. Newberry's which had a soda fountain and lunch counter. Thinking burgers then were about 25 cents and fountain drinks the same or a little more. These were dream burgers and pretty sure before a MacDonalds showed up within walking distance as the primary sauce was either Miracle Whip or mayonnaise. I can still see it.

Also a couple/few years later...when we were like 12 (6th grade) we would thumb to the beach (about 2 miles away) on the main drag...my mom's advice..."don't take any rides from any sailors..." :insane: WTF? We didn't even know what it meant... :devil:

MacDonalds when it did finally arrive burgers were 15 cents. Just 3 cents more than a comic. Good times! lol

Great stories. Comics and hamburgers were fun as a kid.

So much has changed for the better over the years, but I think for kids, it has actually gone backwards. I hope I am not being subjective because of my age, but I really feel that way. In fact, I sometimes think it would not have been to bad if I was born even another 7 or 8 years earlier.

Still good advice for even a thirteen year old.

;)

...get a cheeseburger and malt occasionally at the downtown J.J. Newberry's which had a soda fountain and lunch counter. Thinking burgers then were about 25 cents and fountain drinks the same or a little more. These were dream burgers and pretty sure before a MacDonalds showed up within walking distance as the primary sauce was either Miracle Whip or mayonnaise. I can still see it.

I so miss those soda fountains and lunch counters at the five-and-dime stores such as Newberry's, Woolworth, Kresge and Zeller's. They were light years better than McDonald's!

Great stories. Comics and hamburgers were fun as a kid.

My story of hamburgers and comic books:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=84&Number=6291629&Searchpage=1&Main=222877&Words=cathedral+Hepcat&topic=0&Search=true#Post6291629

So much has changed for the better over the years, but I think for kids, it has actually gone backwards.

Truth.

:(