• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's been 50 YEARS...show us your books from 1966!

262 posts in this topic

...get a cheeseburger and malt occasionally at the downtown J.J. Newberry's which had a soda fountain and lunch counter. Thinking burgers then were about 25 cents and fountain drinks the same or a little more. These were dream burgers and pretty sure before a MacDonalds showed up within walking distance as the primary sauce was either Miracle Whip or mayonnaise. I can still see it.

I so miss those soda fountains and lunch counters at the five-and-dime stores such as Newberry's, Woolworth, Kresge and Zeller's. They were light years better than McDonald's!

Great stories. Comics and hamburgers were fun as a kid.

My story of hamburgers and comic books:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=84&Number=6291629&Searchpage=1&Main=222877&Words=cathedral+Hepcat&topic=0&Search=true#Post6291629

So much has changed for the better over the years, but I think for kids, it has actually gone backwards.

Truth.

:(

I remember visiting my Grandparents in the 60's.....we were young but were allowed to walk several blocks to the 7-11 and a little further to the Pharmacy for comics and snacks (when we had the money....). During the summer, stepping into the Pharmacy was like stepping into a refrigerator, the A.C. there was extreme..... and it always had these wonderful exotic aromas wafting from the soda fountain.... where ice cream floats and 'Shirley Temples" were still on the menu board :cloud9: There were no faces on milk cartons in these days and we were allowed to walk to these places unattended.....with one condition.... we were not to make the return trip on the path behind the 7-11, where there was an old rock quarry that had filled with water, and beneath it's depths were snapping turtles that would strip children to the bone and thick weeds on the bottom that would entangle you and drag you down to your death. My sister obeyed, but my cousin and I always returned that way lol GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Yes, good times! Not only were my friends and I allowed to roam freely as elementary school youngsters in London, Ontario in the early sixties, but even when we visited my uncle in the Highland Park area of Detroit I was allowed to wander off to stores and such unattended. In fact, I was sent to convenience stores to fetch cigarettes for the adults!

:preach: