• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Magicians

130 posts in this topic

Wow! That happened fast.

The Magicians Renewed For Second Season At SyFy

Syfy today renewed magical drama The Magicians for a second season of 13 episodes, expected to air in 2017.

The series is based on Lev Grossman’s trilogy of bestselling novels about students attending Brakebills University for Magical Pedagogy in upstate New York.

“Thanks to an extraordinarily gifted creative team of executive producers and our partners at Universal Cable Productions, THE MAGICIANS has become a buzzed-about hit, enchanting fans of the novels as well as attracting new and younger audiences to Syfy,” said Dave Howe, President, Syfy & Chiller, in a press release.

:applause:

Episode 5 was quite dark. But I guess that is the challenge with magic. It can go either way.

:ohnoez:

The Magicians' Hale Appleman Discusses Life At Brakebills

Fans of the new SyFy drama The Magicians got some good news last week. After airing just three episodes, the network decided to renew the series for a second season. Fans weren’t the only ones who were happy to hear the news.

“It feels amazing,” says Hale Appleman, the actor who plays Eliot Waugh on the show, in an interview with ComicBook.com “On one hand, I absolutely can't believe it, and on the other, it makes sense. I think that the books are incredible and I think that these characters and these stories have so much to offer and so much to say, so it only makes sense that we would continue.

“Mostly, I'm just really grateful and really overwhelmed,” Appleman continues, explaining how deep the passion for the series goes. “From our crew, to our producers, to our writers and our showrunners, our transport guys. The guys bringing us to and from set, sometimes they read the scripts on the episodes and they're all the sweetest, most wonderful people. Our guy, Monte, who drives us to sets, I remember one day, he was like, ‘Oh, wow. Episode Eight, eh? That's a pretty big one for you, huh?’ They read the scripts. Everyone is invested on this show. It's really unusual and really such a blessing.”

The Magic Of The Magicians – The Syfy Series You Should Be Watching

Based on the novels by Lev Grossman, The Magicians follows a young man named Quentin Coldwater as he is accepted into a special university called Brakebills that specializes in teaching magic. And I’m betting a lot of you just said, “Oh, a Harry Potter rip-off… thanks but no thanks.” I know you said that because that was my feeling going into the series. But this show is probably best described in the metaphor of an onion that has layers upon layers upon layers once you get past the ordinary looking surface.

From there things start getting darker and more twisted and by last night’s ninth episode and comparison to Harry Potter is long gone as the show takes the nasty turn of all. This series is a slow burn and that may work against it. Those first few episodes seem light and a bit silly, but once the switch was flipped, things took off. Julia’s path of desperation is wrenching to watch as she loses everything all in an effort to get back that spark of magic in her life. While Quentin is finally given hope that he belongs and that he might find a purpose and happiness only to receive a gut punch from reality.

If you haven’t given this show a chance yet, or if you did and bailed before the fourth or fifth episodes, then you should consider checking it out (again). There are four more episodes this season and it’s already been renewed by Syfy for a second 13 episode season in 2017.

I'm really enjoying this show. Though it does go quite dark at times, like the previous night's show. But all things magic can't all be good.

:ohnoez:

They forgot to mention the direct Chronicles of Narnia aspect with the Fillory books. Like you mentioned, both the Potter and Narnia aspects are just the surface. Once you get past that, the many twisted layers are enjoyable. I like a slow burn :)

The books may have been inspired by Harry Potter. But the show so surpasses that franchise, in my opinion.

:whee:

This was the third to last episode. And though it was just a build-up to what is to come, I liked how you learned more about each of the characters. Including the voices Penny hears that he never talked much about. But what a way for his instructor to demonstrate how to stop the voices.

:ohnoez::ohnoez:

Quentin - how can you not stay focused on Alice??

mMLO17d.jpg

:facepalm:

WOW!

Last night's episode the evil magician cuts off the hands of the opposing magician so he can't use them to cast spells. And you see it happen!

:o

This is no Harry Potter rip-off.

This month! :ohnoez:

Anyone else excited about Syfy doing The Magicians?

The novels trilogy was phenomenal. :cloud9: I just wish it were Netflix with S1 released all at once.

I saw this released on DVD a couple weeks back and it looked fascinating, but I picked up The 100: Season 3, Orphan Black: Season 4, Thirteen: The Complete Series and some random Doctor Who series discs instead.

Maybe I'll give it a shot with Sherlock, next. (thumbs u

I thought during the shows they were using 'silent bleeps' as if the actors were cursing.

Uncensored “The Magicians” Now Online

Initially dismissed as “Harry Potter with hormones,” Syfy’s TV series adaptation of Lev Grossman’s fantasy series “The Magicians” has quietly built up a strong level of acclaim for the far darker than expected direction and complicated characters it presented in its first season earlier this year.

With the second season already in production ahead of airing early next year, the cable network has unleashed a new promo that asks those who haven’t gotten onboard yet to do so – and they’re throwing in an extra enticement – salty language.

They’ve announced that uncensored versions, with all the swearing not suitable for the broadcast cut, are now available on Syfy.com, the Syfy Now app, and on-demand through until December. Check out the promo trailer below.

The Magic Of The Magicians – Talking Season Two At NYCC

Mag3.jpg

I attended the panel for one of the most underrated shows on TV today, The Magicians on SyFy.

Stella Maeve (Julia) said “The characters in The Magicians are beautifully flawed, they use magic as a metaphor for real life problems. You see these people in these situations that happen to you and me, and we use that as the outsource tool to make it fantastical but it’s all relating to real life.”

Arjun Gupta who plays Penny got a lot of attention from the crowd and moderator Aisha Tyler, who was hillarious. We have an in depth interview coming to the site very soon so check it out for more Arjun and the rest of the cast.

We got to see a trailer for the second season and I am not exaggerating when I say it looks absolutely beautiful and action packed. Alice was seen in a fierce battle and crowns were placed on three other characters by Elliot. Julia is going to be in some intimate scenes with the beast where they connect through their sexual assaults and need for revenge. Dean is there to support the friends as they rule Fillory and fight several foes. We also got to see the throne room which was absolute ethereal magic.

The Magicians season 2 will premiere on SyFy in January 2017.

Syfy Announces Season 2 Premieres For THE MAGICIANS

the-expanse-the-magicians-210571.jpg

If you are a fan of Syfy’s original programming, then you must have been happy to hear the network okayed second seasons for two of its biggest shows. Both The Magicians and The Expanse were gifted another round of episodes, and Syfy has just confirmed when the series will return.

Both shows will make their comebacks early next year. The Magicians will return first as its second seasons premieres on Wednesday, January 25 at 8:00 p.m. CT. The Expanse will follow the next month on February 8 at 9:00 p.m. CT.

“Based on the bestselling novels from Lev Grossman, Syfy’s hit drama THE MAGICIANS centers on Quentin Coldwater (Jason Ralph) and his 20-something friends as they discover their magical abilities at Brakebills University, a secret grad school specializing in magic. While there, they come to the realization that the fantasies they read about as children are all too real, and unwittingly invite a malevolent entity from the other side into their lives. Heading into Season 2, this group of unlikely heroes have been thrust into even more dangerous and unfamiliar territory, and must draw upon their novice skills to defeat a threat that could destroy the magical world itself. Driven by power, revenge and survival, they learn that those who entered the hauntingly beautiful world of Fillory will never be the same as those who leave.”

:whee: