• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Irishman
1 1

87 posts in this topic

I started watching it last night, but turned it off after about 30 minutes.  I was having a tough time buying into the age thing as well.  I couldn't see DeNiro as an enforcer at his age.  He just looked too old.  I'll give it another shot sometime over the Xmas break.  

1 hour ago, paperheart said:

Brilliant.  DeNiro erased a decade of mostly terrible acting choices, that will and should be forgotten, with an amazing performance; the wordless scene of the drive from the Detroit airport to the house is an incredible display of bravura.  

I also loved the conversation about the fish lol One of the best scenes in the film IMO.

I watched a second time last night

not Scorsese best but still a solid movie

some of the criticism in this thread is veiled with a hint of Marvel/Disney hurt from recent comments from the director which is very interesting 

comic book movie nerds are a sensitive bunch

hey remember the time Bill Maher called you guys a bunch of losers 

:fear:

55 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I watched a second time last night

not Scorsese best but still a solid movie

some of the criticism in this thread is veiled with a hint of Marvel/Disney hurt from recent comments from the director which is very interesting 

comic book movie nerds are a sensitive bunch

hey remember the time Bill Maher called you guys a bunch of losers 

:fear:

No offense meant to anyone, but when I read some of the stronger negative reviews here I would reflect on posts the same person made in MCU threads.

It certainly was no Captain Marvel. :fear:

whosaid_cptmarvel.gif.c1996249b43f57e94521315cfc9278f6.gif

Spent the day sick in bed and I watched The Godfather and Godfather II (First time viewing the Coppola Restoration editions). Over six straight hours back to back. Suddenly the Irishman loses some luster. Then again, there really isn’t much out there that can stack up against a perfect film and a perfect sequel.

It was a solid effort on many levels. Yeah the CGI looked bad, and they played fast and loose with the story, but overall solid B for me.

I really felt bad watching the scene where RD goes off on the guy who pushed his daughter out of the shop. It just looked painful watching his stiff body having to be CGI adjusted to make it seem like he was stomping the guy. It was a very poor directorial decision that could have been done better from a POV ground up shot from the victims perspective. There were a few moments like that but overall not enough to take away from the film. Not a great movie but enjoyable and moderately well done. 

Also I had no problem with the amount of lines Anna Paquin had. I find her to be a bit limited as an actress based on the material she normally does, but here she shinned in a small but vital role. People counting her lines are “losing the -script” when it comes to what movie making should be.

there is a scene in the movie where they went to the club with comedian Don Rickles and cabaret singer Peter Lemongello

Lemongello spent the first part of his career as a cabaret singer, with several appearances on national TV, including The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson

On January 15, 1982, Lemongello and his brother, professional bowler Mike Lemongello, were kidnapped from a construction site

Image result for bowler Mike Lemongello

Mike was forced to withdraw more than $50,000 from a bank, and both were then left in the woods. Manny Seoane and Mark Lemongello (the brothers' cousin), both former Major League Baseball pitchers, turned themselves in to police and in 1983 were sentenced to seven years' probation for the crime

Image result for Mark Lemongello Image result for Manny Seoane

1 minute ago, 1950's war comics said:

Mike was forced to withdraw more than $50,000 from a bank, and both were then left in the woods. Manny Seoane and Mark Lemongello (the brothers' cousin), both former Major League Baseball pitchers, turned themselves in to police and in 1983 were sentenced to seven years' probation for the crime

Image result for Mark Lemongello Image result for Manny Seoane

Yeah

But did you enjoy the movie?

On April 7, 1972, at 4:30 a.m., Gallo and his family entered Umberto's Clam House in Manhattan's Little Italy. He was there to celebrate his 43rd birthday with sister Carmella, wife Sina Essary, her daughter Lisa, his bodyguard Peter "Pete the Greek" Diapoulas, and Diapoulas's companion.[24] Earlier that evening, the Gallo party had visited the Copacabana with actor Jerry Orbach and Orbach's wife, Marta, to see a performance by comedian Don Rickles and singer Peter Lemongello

Once at Umberto's, the Gallo party took two tables, with Gallo and Diapoulas facing the wall.

Unknown to Gallo, Colombo associate Joseph Luparelli was sitting at the bar. When he saw Gallo, he immediately left Umberto's and walked to a Colombo hangout two blocks away. After contacting Yacovelli, Luparelli recruited Colombo associates Philip Gambino, Carmine DiBiase and two other men, reputedly members of the Patriarca family, to kill Gallo. On reaching Umberto's, Luparelli stayed in the car and the other four men went inside through the back door.[24] Between seafood courses, the four gunmen burst into the dining room and opened fire with .32- and .38-cal. revolvers. Gallo swore and drew his handgun. Twenty shots were fired and Gallo was hit in the back, elbow and buttock. After overturning a butcher block dining table, Gallo staggered to the front door. Witnesses claimed that he was attempting to draw fire away from his family. Diapoulas was shot once in the buttocks as he dove for cover. The mortally wounded Gallo stumbled into the street and collapsed. He was taken in a police car to Beekman-Downtown Hospital. He died in the emergency department.[4][24] A differing account of the murder was offered by hitman and union activist Frank Sheeran, who claimed that he was the lone triggerman in the Gallo hit

Image result for gallo restaurant scene the irishmen movie umberto

great movie , just the couple scenes i described above were masterful as was the whole movie !

does anyone remember those two scenes and if so how about the behind the scenes info i described ?? there is countless hours of reading on just about any character in the movie

i can find nothing on the Copacabana singer listed in the credits or even in the uncredited list , weird as it was obviously an actor playing ,and singing (Peter Lemongello)

his singing scene only lasted a few seconds 

Edited by 1950's war comics