• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Life is complicated - a few more added

24 posts in this topic

Something terrible happened recently. I am the CEO of a small charity. A few months ago, the 30 year old only son of one of our charity's vulnerable clients was murdered in a random shooting in Berlin. His name was Luke, and he shone. He helped and inspired people as far afield as Japan and Mauritius. He was a light bringer, and he was killed for nothing.

His funeral was a truly international affair - and I have never seen a chapel so overcrowded. They stood shoulder to shoulder in the aisles; more people stood outside than could fit within. We are doing everything we can for his parents, but I must confess, I have never felt so helpless and ineffectual.

I don't think it appropriate to give more details in a public thread, but I will share more with anyone who cares to pm me.

10% of any sales here will be used to establish a fund in his name, which our charity will then further grow to help individuals as he did.

As you will know from my last sales threads, I now find myself supporting two PhD's, renting one an apartment, putting two others through computer training and one of these also through an EFL course.

And then there is the house I'm helping someone build...

..and dang it, the two PhD's have decided to get married. In fact to make sure I attend, they insist I set the date. No pressure there then.

So I have a trip to pay for, and - gulp - maybe a wedding.

But also -

One of the books is my Planet #15. In the interest of complete transparency, I am only putting this up because of the 7.5 coming up on Heritage. If I sell mine, I will try for the upgrade. But I will not do so at the risk of the various commitments mentioned here.

Please bear all of this in mind if you decide to buy. How did I ever convince myself that I could afford this hobby in the first place?

Sooo...

:takeit: wins over pm's.

Payment terms

PayPal, (or cheque in the UK only).

Shipping

I am based in the United Kingdom..

Expedited shipping from UK to US will be $30 (it will cost me more, so please don't ask for free shipping! But I'll cut a deal where I can).

I pack books very carefully.

No HOSers, probies or trolls allowed!

Something terrible happened recently. I am the CEO of a small charity. A few months ago, the 30 year old only son of one of our charity's vulnerable clients was murdered in a random shooting in Berlin. His name was Luke, and he shone. He helped and inspired people as far afield as Japan and Mauritius. He was a light bringer, and he was killed for nothing.

So sorry about this. :(

Thanks for all the kind remarks - both in this thread and via pm.

As an experienced professional, working in mental health, I'm usually quite good at keeping intense situations manageable.

This one is harder, and I've only realized how much it has affected me today, because of your kind responses.

One can feel inadequate, overwhelmed, even.

Yet it isn't even about me, I'm little more than a bystander.

But for what it might be worth, there is an ancient Chinese saying I hold on to -

It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

Sorry to hear the sad news. I appreciate your care and generosity through this sales thread. Sure looks to me that you are not as ineffectual as you might feel at the moment. Glad to see you lighting your candle in the dark.