• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1990 Spider-Man 1 gold cover with white spiders
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I got this cover several years ago at a Nashville show out of a dollar box. It was just a cover bagged and boarded and I never really thought much about it until recently I was comparing it to the regular #1 gold and there's more going on than just the white spiders.

It is a full cover wrap printed inside and out but has no staple holes. It is slightly smaller than the standard book, about 1/2" shorter and about 1/4" narrower but the cover art is full size so some of the bottom and right are missing. The ads inside and back cover are scaled correctly to this smaller size so none of them are missing though. There are other differences like the "TORMENT" box, McFarlane's signature box, and other details. The ads have 1990 dates on them but aren't the same ones in the standard gold #1 book.

Anyone have any ideas? I first thought it was something someone customized but I don't see or feel where the cover was altered. Next, I began to think that it was a recreation but if so then someone went to a lot of trouble to get many details good but miss the size by so much. I'm out of ideas so what is it?

sm1b_zpsuxs4kwc7.jpg

Here it is next to a gold #1

sm1f_zpscrxkox1d.jpg

Thanks for the replies, I hadn't studied on the UK price.

This one has UK 60p and the only other one that I have is the green cover but it is UK L1 for the price.

Maybe someone else will have some UK variants they can check but wouldn't they be standard sized?

Thanks for the replies, I hadn't studied on the UK price.

This one has UK 60p and the only other one that I have is the green cover but it is UK L1 for the price.

Maybe someone else will have some UK variants they can check but wouldn't they be standard sized?

This is strange, because as far as I know, "UK variants" didn't exist for this series in the same way they did in the late Bronze and early Copper Ages. hm Just this one, which was in its own series:

1+5DEC90.jpg

Bumping this old thread since I'm about to send in a value submission and thinking about getting this cover slabbed as well. 

Any idea how CGC would label this since it's not a known variant? Maybe I should call them before sending it?

8 minutes ago, ned said:

Bumping this old thread since I'm about to send in a value submission and thinking about getting this cover slabbed as well. 

Any idea how CGC would label this since it's not a known variant? Maybe I should call them before sending it?

Green label, I think. I am not an expert on CGC. Perhaps a NG

1 hour ago, IkewithMike said:
1 hour ago, ned said:

Green label, I think. I am not an expert on CGC. Perhaps a NG

I would call/email first.

I don't think there's enough evidence to indicate that it is a comic or even part of one.  I think it would be treated like a test proof or a poster, however those are treated are by CGC.

good luck.