• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tribute To Creig Flessel
4 4

444 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

RHG, I've been wondering if this cover had been confirmed as a Flessel? No copy I've seen appears to be signed (the signatures DO get cut off sometimes). With the discovery of John Richard Flannagan as a previously unknown cover artist who didn't sign his work, do you think this might also be one of his? Anyone else with an opinion on this, please feel free to chime in.

This is identified as a Flanagan cover on comics.org.  There is a thread dedicated to him if you search, it addresses every known cover from him. I think there are about 6 or so, several Adventures and several More Funs, all pre-hero.   I think the face structure suggests it isn't Flessel.  The line work seems to be finer in general as well.  

7 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

RHG, I've been wondering if this cover had been confirmed as a Flessel? No copy I've seen appears to be signed (the signatures DO get cut off sometimes). With the discovery of John Richard Flannagan as a previously unknown cover artist who didn't sign his work, do you think this might also be one of his? Anyone else with an opinion on this, please feel free to chime in.

8 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

Since Flannagan was discovered, I've concluded that he was most likely the artist on MF 45 for a few reasons:  (1) the art style looks different from most of Flessel's other work, (2) the face on the central character looks similar to other faces drawn by Flannagan, (3) the cover isn't signed; Flessel usually signed covers and Flannagan didn't, and (4) the cover falls within the time frame that Flannagan was doing covers for DC.

5 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

Since Flannagan was discovered, I've concluded that he was most likely the artist on MF 45 for a few reasons:  (1) the art style looks different from most of Flessel's other work, (2) the face on the central character looks similar to other faces drawn by Flannagan, (3) the cover isn't signed; Flessel usually signed covers and Flannagan didn't, and (4) the cover falls within the time frame that Flannagan was doing covers for DC.

I agree. That's why I thought to pose the question to the gang here, to see what others were thinking about it. I'd forgotten that there was a thread just for Flanagan. I will check that out. His style is very appealing and it's a welcome companion to the Flessel, O'Mealia and Guardineer offerings. Flessel just breezes through humor, light-hearted adventure, serious adventure and detective genres with such skill. Something for everyone in his portfolio. 

Edited by Frisco Larson

6 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

This makes sense to me as well (thumbsu

On 11/29/2019 at 1:37 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Flessel's best New Adventure covers were the issue #s in the mid to late 20's.  For example:

NewAdv.26(MH).JPG

Never get tired of looking at this one. Has to be one of my favorite books owned by a board member. 

2 hours ago, Marty Mann said:

Not sure if this is really by FLESSEL or just a swipe.

IMG FEDERAL MEN #2.jpg

This is just a very dedicated swipe.  Flessel had all the work he needed with DC, and this is certainly not the same as the Detective 9.  Flessel's lines seem more refined than this Federal Men cover (in my opinion - of course).

48 minutes ago, Yorick said:

This is just a very dedicated swipe.  Flessel had all the work he needed with DC, and this is certainly not the same as the Detective 9.  Flessel's lines seem more refined than this Federal Men cover (in my opinion - of course).

I agree. Detective 9 is a top 3 Flessel IMO, and I once almost bought a Federal Men 2... but couldn’t. It just doesn’t do it for me.

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

I agree. Detective 9 is a top 3 Flessel IMO, and I once almost bought a Federal Men 2... but couldn’t. It just doesn’t do it for me.

For a dime how could I go wrong?

Marty

33 minutes ago, Marty Mann said:

For a dime how could I go wrong?

Marty

Nothing against the comic; Federal Men is a cool feature and I'd love a copy. Just not as a replacement for a top Flessel cover.