• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tribute To Creig Flessel
4 4

439 posts in this topic

Jon, great to have you back. I'm sure that you've got a lot more Flessel beauties that can be posted in this thread (the New Adventure 16, by the way, is a Joe Shuster cover).

Actually it is a common misconception. This is Flessel aping Shuster. Got it straight from the horse's (Flessel's) mouth.....

Excellent! A good example of why it is difficult to identify the artist for certain, just based on an image in front of you.

Do you know/think if Flessel did the cover for Adventure 37?

I do not know....I am terrible at artist recognition....jon

WOW! The condition of that copy is as spectacular as the art!

Rare,

Do you have a particular favorite amongst your Flessel covers?

That's a tough question Adam; I don't think that I could pick just one. For Detective Comics, my favorites would probably be the covers of nos. 13, 15 and 18. For New Adventure and Adventure, probably the covers of nos. 26 and 37 (assuming the 37 is a Flessel). Another Flessel cover that has always been one of my favorites is the one he did for Adventure 32, which is the first issue after the series changed to Adventure after dropping the "New" prefix. Here is the Church copy of that book:

763972-adv.32%28mh%29%284%29.jpg

763972-adv.32(mh)(4).jpg.6208e6849902015b154c2f8c4227a361.jpg

Edited by RareHighGrade

WOW! The condition of that copy is as spectacular as the art!

Rare,

Do you have a particular favorite amongst your Flessel covers?

That's the Church copy again, isn't it RHG?

Another Flessel cover:

I hadn't realized that surfing was already a mainstream activity back in 1937. That gorgeous book is almost 70 years old now... hail.gif

Who did the restoration on your copy?

:Dlaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

893crossfingers-thumb.gif Are you implying it looks well or poorly done? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

It's at CGC right now. I did the work myself, Here's a link to a thread with details of the work (middle and botttom of page):

Link

Although it's clearly a restored book, I have to say you did a great job (especially considering that you've only been practicing for a year! 893whatthe.gif That's better than every Matt Wilson (NOT Matt Nelson or Mark Wilson) book I've ever seen in person). Some of the color matching is off a bit, but only in a few tiny places. Overall, I am extremely impressed! 893applaud-thumb.gif

When you have some time, I would be very interested in reading a blow-by-blow of what techniques and materials you used to repair the book. I am working on a beater copy of Strange Tales #101 that had a completely split spine that had been lined with scotch tape (which became badly cross-linked, leaving a dark stain) along the entire interior cover, plus three sets of miniature staples and chunks missing from the cover. I am planning on doing a thread on it when I finish to describe everything I did to the book, but I think I forgot to take a "before" picture before I removed the tape from the cover. foreheadslap.gif