• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men 1.95 vs 1.99 cover price - variants?

173 posts in this topic

I noticed that some early modern X-Men books came out with different cover price - some were 1.95 and others were 1.99. The ones I found which had the alternative price were Uncanny X-Men #337 - 340. Was this done on purpose? Were there other Marvel titles at the time which had that price variation?

I would assume that the 1.95 cover price would be the common one...

Thoughts?

Does one say "Deluxe Edition"? It's been a while since I've seen these, but I do remember there was a price difference between the newsstand copies and the Direct Sales/Edition copies. The paper stock was also different between the two, IIRC. The direct editions being glossy and newsstand being the old paper format.

It's been a while, so I may be remembering this all wrong.

The Deluxe Edition vs standard edition issue was actually addressed in one of the little Marvel soapbox editorial things a few months before it started.

They were market testing to see if people would pay the extra like 20 or 45 or 70 cents for the higher quality paper stock (depending on title). They were producing both of them. It only lasted about 6 months. Comic shops were able to order both version, but most stores heavily ordered the higher price ones, sorta making the low-quality printing ones sorta rare? I guess. But it was quite literally a lower-quality product.

The Deluxe Edition says "Deluxe" below the X-Men tag on the box on the cover. The "newsprint" ones just have nothing but the X-Men tag below the box.

However, I don't recall a 1.95 vs 1.99 period where they were releasing the same books with both price points. I think that after the Deluxe experiment ended, the final price just ended up being 1.99 instead of 1.95.

The Deluxe Edition vs standard edition issue was actually addressed in one of the little Marvel soapbox editorial things a few months before it started.

They were market testing to see if people would pay the extra like 20 or 45 or 70 cents for the higher quality paper stock (depending on title). They were producing both of them. It only lasted about 6 months. Comic shops were able to order both version, but most stores heavily ordered the higher price ones, sorta making the low-quality printing ones sorta rare? I guess. But it was quite literally a lower-quality product.

The Deluxe Edition says "Deluxe" below the X-Men tag on the box on the cover. The "newsprint" ones just have nothing but the X-Men tag below the box.

However, I don't recall a 1.95 vs 1.99 period where they were releasing the same books with both price points. I think that after the Deluxe experiment ended, the final price just ended up being 1.99 instead of 1.95.

I have the Wolverine Deluxe and 'regular' copies issues 87 - 90 and they are priced $1.95 and $1.50 respectively.

I have the Wolverine Deluxe and 'regular' copies issues 87 - 90 and they are priced $1.95 and $1.50 respectively.

Thanks! That sounds right. Gave away most of my collection with those books a few years ago. There was some stuff in there I wish I had kept.

Thanks! That sounds right. Gave away most of my collection with those books a few years ago. There was some stuff in there I wish I had kept.

(tsk)

(tsk)

lol

I ran out of room. Plus they went to a good cause, so I can't be too upset about it.

(tsk)

lol

I ran out of room. Plus they went to a good cause, so I can't be too upset about it.

(thumbs u

Newbs.

;)

Every Marvel standard book from Oct of 96 to July of 97 has a $X.99 newsstand cover, and $X.95 Direct Edition cover.

:D

Also...the Deluxe Editions of the previous year (Nov 94-Feb 95) had deluxe and non-deluxe versions, priced at $1.95, and $1.50, but they are only available as DIRECT editions. For the record, Marvel records the "non-deluxe" versions as the variant, noted by the "2" in the UPC code. This is only true of the "X-Men family of books."

739417.jpg

The newsstand versions are all Deluxe Editions.

It was nothing more than a marketing ploy, to get buyers to sucker up to paying an additional 33% hike in price ($1.50 to $1.95) for standard books. But...on "higher quality paper!"

After Feb of 95, the "non-deluxe" version completely disappears, and all that is left is the deluxe.

After a year or so, the "higher quality" and "deluxe" disappeared...the price did not go back down.

Yay for manipulation!

:applause:

but most stores heavily ordered the higher price ones, sorta making the low-quality printing ones sorta rare? I guess. But it was quite literally a lower-quality product.

------

I never noticed this. my lcs ordered a split of both. Some issues were shiny/holoish for the deluxe, i guess those may have been ordered more

One thing that hasn't been mentioned was that the lower quality versions weren't available the same week as the deluxe versions. I forget the time span, but it was at least a week (possibly a month honestly as I was buying every X book at the time, and not being the same week destroyed any idea that I would opt for the lower page quality version)

Had they been released the same week I would have opted for the cheaper version, but that time seemed like an eternity when I was in love with those books.

I buy these anytime I see them in cheap boxes, and have for years. I have a very small stack. I would think the print runs on these are crazy low compared to the deluxe counterparts based on that.

Aye. That may be one that I don't actually have. I'm sure the later months are near impossible as the program was ending.

The non-deluxe versions are quite difficult. Some of them are quietly becoming keys (Wolvie #88 with a Deadpool cover and appearance.)

So is there any definitive list of issue #'s? These might be fun to chase when I'm dollar bin diving!

Aye. That may be one that I don't actually have. I'm sure the later months are near impossible as the program was ending.

The non-deluxe versions are quite difficult. Some of them are quietly becoming keys (Wolvie #88 with a Deadpool cover and appearance.)

So is there any definitive list of issue #'s? These might be fun to chase when I'm dollar bin diving!

All X-Titles from Nov of 94 through Feb of 95.

X-Men #38-41

Uncanny #318-321

Wolverine #87-90

X-Force #40-43

Cable #17-20

Excalibur #86-89

There you go. I think that's all of them.

Look at me, bringing zero value here again.

Right after all of those was the 4 month "Age of Apocalypse" break. I'm pretty sure those didn't have any "non-deluxe" versions, but not absolutely sure.

hm

X-Men #38-41

Uncanny #318-321

Wolverine #87-90

X-Force #40-43

Cable #17-20

Excalibur #86-89

Right after all of those was the 4 month "Age of Apocalypse" break. I'm pretty sure those didn't have any "non-deluxe" versions, but not absolutely sure.

hm

UXM #320 also has a special Wizard edition. IIRC, the title is in gold and instead of a barcode, the box simply says Wizaard.

Also, I think RMA is right on the AoA books being all Deluxe. Here is a link that features all the covers for Generation Next #1

http://www.comics.org/issue/56743/

X-Men #38-41

Uncanny #318-321

Wolverine #87-90

X-Force #40-43

Cable #17-20

Excalibur #86-89

hm

UXM #320 also has a special Wizard edition. IIRC, the title is in gold and instead of a barcode, the box simply says Wizaard.

Correct. There are FOUR versions of Uncanny #320.

:D