• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men 1.95 vs 1.99 cover price - variants?

173 posts in this topic

(shrug)

What am I missing here? Didnt see any discussion about the 1.99 price variant in this... Sorry, the "1.99 price variant".

The point was that thread contains a discussion about other newsstand copies with different prices than the direct edition. Not sure how you managed to miss that. Oh, and some guy who knows nothing about price variants ( :eyeroll:lol ) was correcting the false notion there that they were price variants.

Further, suggesting that a 1.99 variant is just a "regular" newsstand edition with a price correction is dubious at best.

Unless you can produce a newsstand copy with a 1.95 (U.S.) price, it's nowhere near dubious.

Historically, newsstand editions never carried a different cover price than their direct market counterparts, so what brought to that change at the time? Do we know what Marvel was experimenting with then?

(shrug)

Does anyone have an insight on what the print runs were with those because of that price change? And why?

In line with the previous issues/trend at the time? (shrug)

So, respectfully, your answer to all my questions is: I dont know.

Correct?

I think the term "price variant" is very narrow in definition to those that collect the 30¢ and 35¢ variants. Others see an issue that has different prices and call it a "price variant," but it doesn't fit within that narrow definition. If you're going to be adamant about it one way or another, you'll just have to agree to disagree.

Wow. Is this what it comes down to? classifications?

Those "30/35 cent" collectors would probably be mocked by far more people who are clueless about our medium than "1.95/1.99 collectors" who currently pay far less of a premium on those variants respectfully.

No one is entitled to say whats allowed to be collected based on ones preference nor to mock it.

And if they do, than they are the problem with the collectors society. And far more so in society as well

Oh boy.

No one is mocking anyone, nor is anyone talking about mocking, nor is anyone saying what someone is, and isn't, allowed to collect.

Come on, let's not be silly.

I think the term "price variant" is very narrow in definition to those that collect the 30¢ and 35¢ variants. Others see an issue that has different prices and call it a "price variant," but it doesn't fit within that narrow definition. If you're going to be adamant about it one way or another, you'll just have to agree to disagree.

Wow. Is this what it comes down to? classifications?

Um... yes? Have you not been paying attention? You are trying to change the classification of what you are calling "price variants" that are already properly identified as newsstand editions.

Those "30/35 cent" collectors would probably be mocked by far more people who are clueless about our medium than "1.95/1.99 collectors" who currently pay far less of a premium on those variants respectfully.

No one is entitled to say whats allowed to be collected based on ones preference nor to mock it.

And if they do, than they are the problem with the collectors society. And far more so in society as well

People can collect whatever they want for whatever reason they want, no matter how ridiculous or arbitrary that reason happens to be. Nobody is entitled to conflate random trivia they discover with anything else.

Nobody is entitled to conflate random trivia they discover with anything else.

So now according to you, no ones entitled to post here according to what sits well with your personal definition of terms you create. hysterical

Listen to me, come down off your high horse. A price variant is what this is. Period. Its an item sold regularly for one price, which for a defined period of time was presented in two price variations. That is what a price variant is.

You are trying to change the classification of what you are calling "price variants" that are already properly identified as newsstand editions.

I am not trying to change anything. I am just calling it by name. Not that it matters much but, why does it offend you?

The Deluxe Edition vs standard edition issue was actually addressed in one of the little Marvel soapbox editorial things a few months before it started.

They were market testing to see if people would pay the extra like 20 or 45 or 70 cents for the higher quality paper stock (depending on title). They were producing both of them. It only lasted about 6 months. Comic shops were able to order both version, but most stores heavily ordered the higher price ones, sorta making the low-quality printing ones sorta rare? I guess. But it was quite literally a lower-quality product.

The Deluxe Edition says "Deluxe" below the X-Men tag on the box on the cover. The "newsprint" ones just have nothing but the X-Men tag below the box.

However, I don't recall a 1.95 vs 1.99 period where they were releasing the same books with both price points. I think that after the Deluxe experiment ended, the final price just ended up being 1.99 instead of 1.95.

I have the Wolverine Deluxe and 'regular' copies issues 87 - 90 and they are priced $1.95 and $1.50 respectively.

:idea: Price variants!!

Nobody is entitled to conflate random trivia they discover with anything else.

So now according to you, no ones entitled to post here according to what sits well with your personal definition of terms you create. hysterical

That's not what he said at all. Anyone is entitled to post whatever they want, within the terms of the Collector's Society. But what goes along with that entitlement is the reality that others may post things that contradict what you say. "Conflate" does not share the same definition as "post."

You are entitled to your own opinion.

You are not entitled to your own facts.

Listen to me, come down off your high horse. A price variant is what this is. Period. Its an item sold regularly for one price, which for a defined period of time was presented in two price variations. That is what a price variant is.

Nobody is on any high horse, and these aren't price variants. They are newsstand editions, which happen to have a different price than the Direct editions.

Your definition of "price variant" is inaccurate. "Period." The newsstand versions were sold regularly for one price. Why isn't the Direct edition the variant, by your definition...?

A price variant would be, for example, a Canadian newsstand version (despite what JC has said), that was priced at $1.00, while the US newsstand version is priced at 75 cents.

You are trying to change the classification of what you are calling "price variants" that are already properly identified as newsstand editions.

I am not trying to change anything. I am just calling it by name. Not that it matters much but, why does it offend you?

I imagine the only one offended here is you.

The Deluxe Edition vs standard edition issue was actually addressed in one of the little Marvel soapbox editorial things a few months before it started.

They were market testing to see if people would pay the extra like 20 or 45 or 70 cents for the higher quality paper stock (depending on title). They were producing both of them. It only lasted about 6 months. Comic shops were able to order both version, but most stores heavily ordered the higher price ones, sorta making the low-quality printing ones sorta rare? I guess. But it was quite literally a lower-quality product.

The Deluxe Edition says "Deluxe" below the X-Men tag on the box on the cover. The "newsprint" ones just have nothing but the X-Men tag below the box.

However, I don't recall a 1.95 vs 1.99 period where they were releasing the same books with both price points. I think that after the Deluxe experiment ended, the final price just ended up being 1.99 instead of 1.95.

I have the Wolverine Deluxe and 'regular' copies issues 87 - 90 and they are priced $1.95 and $1.50 respectively.

No that would be silly. They are clearly labeled on the book as Deluxe variants and as such they have always been priced differently

hm

Well, I checked, to make sure, and it turns out "Aweandlorder" is ignoring me, which explains why he didn't seem to be reading anything I've said.

To the mods: this is another benefit of the "complete ignore" feature. If I hadn't seen his posts, I wouldn't have wasted my time trying to help him with the information he was seeking.

Oh well. Problem solved, as far as I can solve it.

And again, if anyone cares to shed some light into the stats and the reasoning behind this price inflation on those variants feel free to contribute to this thread. If youre gonna come with clown comments, dont expect to get serious replies

Yes, you shouldn't.

No that would be silly. They are clearly labeled on the book as Deluxe variants and as such they have always been priced differently

No, they are the same issue but have different prices so the only possible answer is: Price Variant! That they already have a proper classification is irrelevant, or so somebody has been claiming.

No, they are the same issue but have different prices so the only possible answer is: Price Variant! That they already have a proper classification is irrelevant, or so somebody has been claiming.

Dont play little games with me. If you got nothing to contribute to this thread other than your personal arrogant comments you're NOT welcome, and its a shame that youre allowed to be given a voice in this board given the condescending rhetoric you have displayed

Theres a reason why this thread exists. To discus its title. If you havent read it - read it again, and if you can respectfully add to this conversation, than answer these questions:

Why did newsstand editions, a seemingly cosmetically identical twin to the DM distribution line of books, which is not recognized by CGC as a variant, and which historically never carried a different cover price than DM books, had a cover price change at the time? Do we know what Marvel was experimenting with then? Do we know how this affected print runs?

Dont play little games with me. If you got nothing to contribute to this thread other than your personal arrogant comments you're NOT welcome, and its a shame that youre allowed to be given a voice in this board given the condescending rhetoric you have displayed

:facepalm:

People have contributed much information to this thread, good, solid information, free of charge, to help you out. No one was obligated to share any of this information with you, or anyone, and you could have easily been forced to find out completely on your own, as many people have had to do before you.

If you choose to ignore that information, that's fine, but don't ask for information if you're going to be hostile to the people who provide it. Don't spit on people when they're trying to help you.

I noticed that some early modern X-Men books came out with different cover price - some were 1.95 and others were 1.99. The ones I found which had the alternative price were Uncanny X-Men #337 - 340. Was this done on purpose? Were there other Marvel titles at the time which had that price variation?

I would assume that the 1.95 cover price would be the common one...

Thoughts?

Thank's for posting this question, I wasn't aware that any price variants existed around that time. This will give me something new to look for when I'm looking through boxes at cons and at my LCS.

This also reminds me of what DC is doing now with some of their newsstand and direct editions. Books like Batman, Flash Justice League & Detective comics cost $1 more for the newsstand editions.

I noticed that some early modern X-Men books came out with different cover price - some were 1.95 and others were 1.99. The ones I found which had the alternative price were Uncanny X-Men #337 - 340. Was this done on purpose? Were there other Marvel titles at the time which had that price variation?

Thoughts?

Thank's for posting this question, I wasn't aware that any price variants existed around that time. This will give me something new to look for when I'm looking through boxes at cons and at my LCS.

This also reminds me of what DC is doing now with some of their newsstand and direct editions. Books like Batman, Flash Justice League & Detective comics cost $1 more for the newsstand editions.

YW, and very interesting about DCs new price structure, wasnt aware of that as well hm

Goes to show that theres alot more to newsstands than just a different distribution channel. In fact, Im pretty sure that if that seperation existed in the 70s it wouldve been exploited monetarily as well.. Food for thought

I've noticed this for a while too. This is pure speculation on my part, but I think it comes down to who is actually buying the book. In a bookstore you would have more people buying a comic for their kid, or have someone buying a comic that doesn't normally buy them. The extra $1 would more easily go unnoticed by the parent or the noob. The extra $1 would (and has) caused an uproar to the average comic reader that is seasoned enough to go find a shop or order online. A parent buying the new issue of Titans for their kid would probably think $3 is ridiculous. They would also think $4-$5 is ridiculous. They would still probably buy it even with the $1 increase because they don't know any better, and they still view it as "Well, little Ricky is reading. I'll definitely fork over $4 for that".

The $1.95 vs $1.99 thing was probably that way of thinking, but just a lesser degree. The news stand as an outlet for selling comics has been dying for a while, so that may explain the blatant $1 gouge that goes on now. They are thinking that it's a sinking ship anyway, and that getting that extra $1 on every book will keep it afloat a bit longer.

I don't have any hard evidence of this other than seeing the price increase on non direct comics for what seems like the better part of the past two decades, but this is what my logic tells me has been happening.

Thoughts?