• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men 1.95 vs 1.99 cover price - variants?

173 posts in this topic

Amazing. I guess to Marvel back then a 0.04 cent increase made as much sense as it did just recently (?) to DC with a whole (!) dollar. And correct me if Im wrong, since the 1.99 adjustment worked on the newsstands, I guess Marvel made it stick with both variants. Wonder if DC will follow suit

The $1.95 vs $1.99 thing was probably that way of thinking, but just a lesser degree. The news stand as an outlet for selling comics has been dying for a while, so that may explain the blatant $1 gouge that goes on now. They are thinking that it's a sinking ship anyway, and that getting that extra $1 on every book will keep it afloat a bit longer.

I don't have any hard evidence of this other than seeing the price increase on non direct comics for what seems like the better part of the past two decades, but this is what my logic tells me has been happening.

I doubt there was that much thinking going on. It was only 4 cents. Plus, as noted before, the Canadian newsstand price was actually LOWER ($4.05 vs. $4.15/$4.20 on the $2.99/$2.95 books, and $2.65/$2.70 vs. $2.75 for the $1.99/$1.95 books.)

It's certainly possible that newsstands requested the $1.99 price, because $1.95, in non-tax states, would require a lot of nickels to be on hand. That's a way out theory, but it's possible, I suppose.

The idea, though, that they were deliberately trying to upcharge for the newsstands, that there was a conscious effort to charge that extra four cents, doesn't really make that much sense, especially when you consider that, at the very same time, the rest of Marvel's standard books...including Amazing Spiderman...were still $1.50, for both Direct and newsstand, until Mar-97 cover dates, at which time, the entire Marvel line went to $1.95.

And, the Canadian prices for this era are all over the map.

I suspect it was really just the chaos of the era. Remember...just a few months later, Marvel nearly ceased publication altogether.

You've got a good point there with the chaotic inconsistency especially considering the Canadian pricing. I was never aware of that. I guess it could just be as simple as someone made the $1.99 decision and there wasn't much thought to it. It was the first time I ever remember there being different pricing for non direct, so that's largely why I considered it the start of an actual thought process. I remember Marvels around 2008 or so having heavier news stand prices, but I can't remember if it was continuous from the time the 4 cent increase was implemented or not. I'm pretty sure there was never a 2.45 vs 2.49.

Were there books that were at $1.50 direct and at $1.99 on the news stand? I honestly don't remember. Was there an overlap period there?

No. All the $1.50 Direct books were $1.50 on the newsstand.

Of course, watch someone find the exception.

lol

But no, all the $1.50 Direct books were $1.50 on the newsstand as well.

;)

You've got a good point there with the chaotic inconsistency especially considering the Canadian pricing. I was never aware of that. I guess it could just be as simple as someone made the $1.99 decision and there wasn't much thought to it. It was the first time I ever remember there being different pricing for non direct, so that's largely why I considered it the start of an actual thought process. I remember Marvels around 2008 or so having heavier news stand prices, but I can't remember if it was continuous from the time the 4 cent increase was implemented or not. I'm pretty sure there was never a 2.45 vs 2.49.

No, no $2.45 or $2.49.

Archies had some funky pricing for a while...$2.19 and others...but not DC or Marvel.

However...Marvel has had higher newsstand prices since the very early 2000's.

There were many instances where the Direct book was $2.25, and the newsstand was $2.99.

It wasn't a continuation, as there was a break from about 1997 to 2001, and maybe more in between, but it has been regular, if sporadic, at Marvel to do this.

Theres a reason why this thread exists. To discus its title.

The question in the thread title was answered long ago. They are just newsstand editions.

Technically, by the mid-90s, Direct editions are the standard version and newsstand copies are variants.

If you havent read it - read it again, and if you can respectfully add to this conversation, than answer these questions:

Why did newsstand editions, a seemingly cosmetically identical twin to the DM distribution line of books,

They've never been identical, just very, very similar. There have also been many changes over the years in how they differ. Changing a little number is the smallest difference in the history of the Direct/newsstand split.

which is not recognized by CGC as a variant,

(shrug) Completely irrelevant.

and which historically never carried a different cover price than DM books, had a cover price change at the time?

Why did anyone make Canadian newsstand editions in the 80s rather than just a single newsstand version with all the prices like the Direct editions? Why did it take until the mid-90s for Direct editions to finally all get a UPC?

Do we know what Marvel was experimenting with then?

Experimenting? They changed their prices, which is hardly unprecedented in comics (or Marvel) history.

However, I would be interested to know how/why the Canadian price was lower on the newsstand.

Do we know how this affected print runs?

It didn't.

It also didn't obviously affect distribution, but

1. We don't have access to full print run and distribution data

2. There are other factors to consider, so even Marvel probably can't answer this question

Why did anyone make Canadian newsstand editions in the 80s rather than just a single newsstand version with all the prices like the Direct editions?

Well...eventually they did.

Exactly! Why didn't they do that from the start?

My point was that there are all kinds of (at least seemingly) odd decisions in the history of the comics industry. Changing the price(s) by less than 5% barely registers.

Changing a little number is the smallest difference in the history of the Direct/newsstand split.

Just clarifying.. When you say "little number" you mean price correct?

Yes, and by little I mean a very, very small part of the cover.

Why did anyone make Canadian newsstand editions in the 80s rather than just a single newsstand version with all the prices like the Direct editions?

Well...eventually they did.

Exactly! Why didn't they do that from the start?

My point was that there are all kinds of (at least seemingly) odd decisions in the history of the comics industry. Changing the price(s) by less than 5% barely registers.

I believe the reality with many of these things is simply one of expediency. The Canadian dollar has been at par with the USD many times in their long histories, and that was true in the late 70's/early 80's...until 1982, when the disparity became too much to ignore. So, Canadian newsstand prices were added with the Oct 82 covers.

In fact...that was the main reason for the Marvel "M" to make its first appearance with Oct 82 cover dates. With that intro, the Canadian price was included on the Direct issues, too, acknowledging a price difference for Canadian distribution for the first time on Marvel books (I want to say ever, but there's a nagging thought that there were some Timely Canadian versions in the 40's...?)

I suspect Marvel was losing a bit of money during 1982 before the change took effect. And, when they instituted it, they maybe didn't think it would last as long as it did...and before you knew it, four years had passed, and someone finally came up with the idea to print both prices on the newsstands.

Changing a little number is the smallest difference in the history of the Direct/newsstand split.

Gotcha..

... I think its best I dont bother replying to your comments. Only out of respect to your definition of things.. Including currencies and pricing definitions

Aye. That may be one that I don't actually have. I'm sure the later months are near impossible as the program was ending.

The non-deluxe versions are quite difficult. Some of them are quietly becoming keys (Wolvie #88 with a Deadpool cover and appearance.)

So is there any definitive list of issue #'s? These might be fun to chase when I'm dollar bin diving!

All X-Titles from Nov of 94 through Feb of 95.

X-Men #38-41

Uncanny #318-321

Wolverine #87-90

X-Force #40-43

Cable #17-20

Excalibur #86-89

There you go. I think that's all of them.

Look at me, bringing zero value here again.

Right after all of those was the 4 month "Age of Apocalypse" break. I'm pretty sure those didn't have any "non-deluxe" versions, but not absolutely sure.

hm

I believe you forgot to Factor in a certain title. :baiting:

There you go. I knew I'd forget something.

Or, I was giving you a nice set-up.

Either way.

There is Generation X #2-4 too.

Gotcha..

... I think its best I dont bother replying to your comments. Only out of respect to your definition of things.. Including currencies and pricing definitions

The definition. You are the one who is trying to redefine things that were defined before I owned my first comic book.

Aye. That may be one that I don't actually have. I'm sure the later months are near impossible as the program was ending.

The non-deluxe versions are quite difficult. Some of them are quietly becoming keys (Wolvie #88 with a Deadpool cover and appearance.)

So is there any definitive list of issue #'s? These might be fun to chase when I'm dollar bin diving!

All X-Titles from Nov of 94 through Feb of 95.

X-Men #38-41

Uncanny #318-321

Wolverine #87-90

X-Force #40-43

Cable #17-20

Excalibur #86-89

There you go. I think that's all of them.

Look at me, bringing zero value here again.

Right after all of those was the 4 month "Age of Apocalypse" break. I'm pretty sure those didn't have any "non-deluxe" versions, but not absolutely sure.

hm

I believe you forgot to Factor in a certain title. :baiting:

There you go. I knew I'd forget something.

Or, I was giving you a nice set-up.

Either way.

There is Generation X #2-4 too.

Thanks!

I noticed that some early modern X-Men books came out with different cover price - some were 1.95 and others were 1.99. The ones I found which had the alternative price were Uncanny X-Men #337 - 340. Was this done on purpose? Were there other Marvel titles at the time which had that price variation?

I would assume that the 1.95 cover price would be the common one...

Thoughts?

Thank's for posting this question, I wasn't aware that any price variants existed around that time. This will give me something new to look for when I'm looking through boxes at cons and at my LCS.

This also reminds me of what DC is doing now with some of their newsstand and direct editions. Books like Batman, Flash Justice League & Detective comics cost $1 more for the newsstand editions.

YW, and very interesting about DCs new price structure, wasnt aware of that as well hm

Goes to show that theres alot more to newsstands than just a different distribution channel. In fact, Im pretty sure that if that seperation existed in the 70s it wouldve been exploited monetarily as well.. Food for thought

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

So you couldn't be bothered to do any research before (or after) starting this thread? What did you think I meant by this

If you are going to chase "price variants" that are actually just newsstand editions which happen to have one or two different numbers than the direct versions, congratulations on adding thousands of books to your want list.

?

Anyway, with newsstand sales being a shrinking part of the market since the 80s and part of what defines newsstand copies being returns (ie. waste for publishers), increasing prices and/or ceasing distribution was inevitable.

I noticed that some early modern X-Men books came out with different cover price - some were 1.95 and others were 1.99. The ones I found which had the alternative price were Uncanny X-Men #337 - 340. Was this done on purpose? Were there other Marvel titles at the time which had that price variation?

I would assume that the 1.95 cover price would be the common one...

Thoughts?

Thank's for posting this question, I wasn't aware that any price variants existed around that time. This will give me something new to look for when I'm looking through boxes at cons and at my LCS.

This also reminds me of what DC is doing now with some of their newsstand and direct editions. Books like Batman, Flash Justice League & Detective comics cost $1 more for the newsstand editions.

YW, and very interesting about DCs new price structure, wasnt aware of that as well hm

Goes to show that theres alot more to newsstands than just a different distribution channel. In fact, Im pretty sure that if that seperation existed in the 70s it wouldve been exploited monetarily as well.. Food for thought

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

So you couldn't be bothered to do any research before (or after) starting this thread? What did you think I meant by this

If you are going to chase "price variants" that are actually just newsstand editions which happen to have one or two different numbers than the direct versions, congratulations on adding thousands of books to your want list.

?

Anyway, with newsstand sales being a shrinking part of the market since the 80s and part of what defines newsstand copies being returns (ie. waste for publishers), increasing prices and/or ceasing distribution was inevitable.

So youre gonna troll me from now on. Good job, I have plenty other threads here which I welcome you to follow and share insight on.

And on to your comments. No I wasnt aware of any of the modern price variants (glad we finally agreed on a common term, see were getting somewhere with you, and I almost lost hope). And it would be interesting to find out their print runs as well and how they develop. But unlike you, even though I do not seek to collect modern price variants, I do respect those who do.

Can you go back a few threads and answer my question regarding print runs on those newsstand variants which are over 20 years old?