• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men 1.95 vs 1.99 cover price - variants?

173 posts in this topic

Actually I take that back, I forgot that you refer to a price alteration on a book now as the "Changing a little number on the cover" variant. My bad bruh

That was part of a specific answer to "newsstand editions, a seemingly cosmetically identical twin to the DM distribution line" (shrug)

This Incredible Hulk is one of my favorite cover.

TIH2-441-m.jpg42172865216.441.NEWSSTAND.GIF

I forgot all about the Hulks! THANK YOU for reminding me of that! There WERE $1.95 Direct books that were still $1.50 on the newsstand, which was the opposite direction. The Direct books were more expensive than the newsstand books, but the newsstand books were using the cheaper paper, until Marvel abandoned the more expensive paper across the line. I had forgotten all about that!

Hulk was "deluxe" for issues #426-429, then dropped the "Deluxe" from the cover, but kept the same price. I *believe* they kept the same glossy paper stock for issues #430-#432, but I'm pretty sure they dropped it by #433. I'd have to check my copies. I know by #435, the "deluxe" quality was gone, but still at the same price.

I also remember being annoyed at the $1.95 price, and wanting to go to the newsstand to buy the $1.50 copies...but didn't want to wait!

Hulk, I think Dr. Strange? I want to say the "Marvel Edge" books? I'd have to look it up, but yes, in the time in between, there were Direct books that were more expensive than the newsstand books.

Yes, the Marvel Edge books were it.

Ghost Rider was $1.95 for most of this period, but issue #65 introduced the "Marvel Edge" line, and the newsstand price went down to $1.50, with an "only $1.50" note in the UPC.

I suspect this is true of ALL "Marvel Edge" titles.

I do remember this scenario, though I have to say I was in college at the time, and not paying as much attention to comics as I did before and after.

Then, Ghost Rider itself went down to $1.50 across the board with issue #75...and then back UP to $1.95 with issue #83 (with the newsstand being $1.99), then finally $1.99 for issue #87 with the August, 96 increase, ending at #92 (#93 was $2.99.)

What a mess. Clearly, things were not well in Marvel land at this point in time.

The latest addition to the Newsstand price variant club comes to us courtesy of:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161653480890?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

s_l1600_9.jpg

Loving the CGC notation... And while the seller is asking a bit too much for this, I think this is the 1st Newsstand price variant (semi) key discussed here

The latest addition to the Newsstand price variant club comes to us courtesy of:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161653480890?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

s_l1600_9.jpg

Loving the CGC notation... And while the seller is asking a bit too much for this, I think this is the 1st Newsstand price variant (semi) key discussed here

I sold my CGC 9.8 newsstand edition in 2006 for $108.00. :grin:

s_l1600_9.jpg

I sold my CGC 9.8 newsstand edition in 2006 for $108.00. :grin:

I think there was a sale for 140 last month or the month before that.. I skimmed through the closed listings on the bay (and there were plenty!) and found only 5 NPVs from around 100+ listings of 1st prints...

I lost track of what were discussing here already.

Is there a list of 1.99 newsstand (?) variants somewhere. would definitely love to chase those

Thanks in advance!

I believe I answered this 3 posts up for UXM. #337-#345 all newsstands were $1.99.

This applied for all Marvel books dated Oct 96 to June 97 that were priced at $1.95 for direct market.

All the other posts concerning Direct Deluxe, Direct non-Deluxe and Newsstand pre Age of Apocalypse have no bearing on your original question. None of those various editions were $1.99

Excelsior! (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

Thats kinda like the modern version of the 30/35 cent invasion. Care to guess which 1.99 cents variant is the rarest/most in demand?

No, not at all. There's a newsstand version and a direct version. Their cover prices are moot.

The Deluxe/regular editions being discussed as a tangent to your original question are closer to a 30/35 cent variant equivalent... but still not actually close at all.

Is there a list of 1.99 newsstand (?) variants somewhere. would definitely love to chase those

Thanks in advance!

I believe I answered this 3 posts up for UXM. #337-#345 all newsstands were $1.99.

This applied for all Marvel books dated Oct 96 to June 97 that were priced at $1.95 for direct market.

All the other posts concerning Direct Deluxe, Direct non-Deluxe and Newsstand pre Age of Apocalypse have no bearing on your original question. None of those various editions were $1.99

Thats kinda like the modern version of the 30/35 cent invasion. Care to guess which 1.99 cents variant is the rarest/most in demand?

No, not at all. There's a newsstand version and a direct version. Their cover prices are moot.

The Deluxe/regular editions being discussed as a tangent to your original question are closer to a 30/35 cent variant equivalent... but still not actually close at all.

I read this a couple of times and it still doesnt make sense. A price variant is a price variant. Thats it. Having a variant doesnt make it close or further from being a price variant. Its just a whole diff beast

I dont think a 1.99 price variant is considered a newsstand variant more than a 40 cent whitman variant is called that.

Look you can call it what you want, I just think that a price variant is simply that - a price variant

In this case ALL Direct Market issues were $1.95 and ALL Newsstand issues were $1.99. So the difference is really just which edition it is.

With Star Wars #1 you had Newsstand copies with 30 cents on of most covers and a limited number that had 35 cents.

So it's a slightly different, but I understand what you're saying.

Thanks in advance!

I read this a couple of times and it still doesnt make sense. A price variant is a price variant. Thats it. Having a variant doesnt make it close or further from being a price variant. Its just a whole diff beast

I dont think a 1.99 price variant is considered a newsstand variant more than a 40 cent whitman variant is called that.

Look you can call it what you want, I just think that a price variant is simply that - a price variant

It's not a price variant. There's a Direct version, which is priced at $X.95, and a newsstand version, which is priced at $X.99.

In that regard, there isn't anything that is "variant" about it, except for the idea that, since they're different prices, it's rather neat to have both.

The 30/35 cent variants were actual price variants, both released to the same place (newsstand), in different areas of the country (USA.)

There are 25 cent Defenders #34s and 30 cent Defenders #34s. Sold at the same venues (newsstands.)

There are 30 cent Iron Fist #15s and 35 cent Iron Fist #15s. Sold at the same venues (newsstands.)

Price variants.

The $X.95/$X.99 aren't price variants.

I can understand your logic, but drawing a comparison to the 30/35 cent variants is really a stretch. The parameters when comparing the two aren't even close.

Its a cool novelty that isn't hard to find. I found one yesterday not even looking hard.

Sometimes you are lucky if you find 30/35 variants a few times a year. Except for Harry who just falls into them not matter where he goes.

Maybe because up until recently (at least based on the inquiring replies initially, INCLUDING mine) no one was really aware of this. I get that none of these were recalled, or distributed to exclusive districts (?) but a price variant, as well as other comic monstrosities, is a trend. So now, as some other have suggested, theres an additional search critiria for this growing genre.

I've been aware of these for a decade+, maybe as far back as when they were published. Since it's the newsstand version, and even in 1997, newsstand versions weren't off a cliff in terms of print run, it's not really a "variant"...it's just the newsstand version, and the newsstand versions had a different price.

It's the same for certain Valiant books of the era, too, only in reverse: the newsstand books are CHEAPER than the Direct books (Visitor vs. Valiant Universe, etc.)

It's interesting, but not earth shattering.

I can understand your logic, but drawing a comparison to the 30/35 cent variants is really a stretch. The parameters when comparing the two aren't even close.

Its a cool novelty that isn't hard to find. I found one yesterday not even looking hard.

Sometimes you are lucky if you find 30/35 variants a few times a year. Except for Harry who just falls into them not matter where he goes.

Maybe because up until recently (at least based on the inquiring replies initially, INCLUDING mine) no one was really aware of this. I get that none of these were recalled, or distributed to exclusive districts (?) but a price variant, as well as other comic monstrosities, is a trend. So now, as some other have suggested, theres an additional search critiria for this growing genre.

I've been aware of these for a decade+, maybe as far back as when they were published. Since it's the newsstand version, and even in 1997, newsstand versions weren't off a cliff in terms of print run, it's not really a "variant"...it's just the newsstand version, and the newsstand versions had a different price.

It's the same for certain Valiant books of the era, too, only in reverse: the newsstand books are CHEAPER than the Direct books (Visitor vs. Valiant Universe, etc.)

It's interesting, but not earth shattering.

I have also been aware of these (and others) for a long time.

If you are going to chase "price variants" that are actually just newsstand editions which happen to have one or two different numbers than the direct versions, congratulations on adding thousands of books to your want list. Have fun!

And go and buy newsstand copies of every other issue while you're at it. Why not?

No quotation needed in "price variants". These are price variants. If you need a dictionary to assist you in defining the term I can help you with that.

You knew that these price variants existed before me/others, Yay. That certainly entitles you to belittle someone's collecting preferences over yours. Congrats, you just joined the club of elitist doucheries which is another growing trend in the industry of late btw.

No, they are just newsstand editions. That's what defines them. The fact that they are priced differently than direct editions is trivial.