• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men 1.95 vs 1.99 cover price - variants?

173 posts in this topic

I can understand your logic, but drawing a comparison to the 30/35 cent variants is really a stretch. The parameters when comparing the two aren't even close.

Its a cool novelty that isn't hard to find. I found one yesterday not even looking hard.

Sometimes you are lucky if you find 30/35 variants a few times a year. Except for Harry who just falls into them not matter where he goes.

Maybe because up until recently (at least based on the inquiring replies initially, INCLUDING mine) no one was really aware of this. I get that none of these were recalled, or distributed to exclusive districts (?) but a price variant, as well as other comic monstrosities, is a trend. So now, as some other have suggested, theres an additional search critiria for this growing genre.

I've been aware of these for a decade+, maybe as far back as when they were published. Since it's the newsstand version, and even in 1997, newsstand versions weren't off a cliff in terms of print run, it's not really a "variant"...it's just the newsstand version, and the newsstand versions had a different price.

It's the same for certain Valiant books of the era, too, only in reverse: the newsstand books are CHEAPER than the Direct books (Visitor vs. Valiant Universe, etc.)

It's interesting, but not earth shattering.

I have also been aware of these (and others) for a long time.

If you are going to chase "price variants" that are actually just newsstand editions which happen to have one or two different numbers than the direct versions, congratulations on adding thousands of books to your want list. Have fun!

And go and buy newsstand copies of every other issue while you're at it. Why not?

No quotation needed in "price variants". These are price variants. If you need a dictionary to assist you in defining the term I can help you with that.

You knew that these price variants existed before me/others, Yay. That certainly entitles you to belittle someone's collecting preferences over yours. Congrats, you just joined the club of elitist doucheries which is another growing trend in the industry of late btw.

They aren't price variants. Don't pull a Ween, here. They are the regular newsstand versions, which happened to have a different price than the Direct versions. They aren't "variants" of anything regular to begin with.

And tone down the rhetoric, there's no need for name-calling just because someone didn't agree with you.

(shrug)

What am I missing here? Didnt see any discussion about the 1.99 price variant in this... Sorry, the "1.99 price variant".

Further, suggesting that a 1.99 variant is just a "regular" newsstand edition with a price correction is dubious at best. Historically, newsstand editions never carried a different cover price than their direct market counterparts, so what brought to that change at the time? Do we know what Marvel was experimenting with then? Does anyone have an insight on what the print runs were with those because of that price change? And why?

Because Marvel felt like they could get an extra 4 cents at the newsstand (at least in the US; in Canada, it was 15 cents MORE for the Direct version)...?

Because Marvel wanted to see if the by-then vastly shrinking newsstand would support the price increase from $1.95 to $1.99, which happened as of Aug 1997 cover dates?

Who knows? The real coup was convincing the market to go from $1.50 to $1.95 a year and a half earlier, by promising a higher quality X-Men family product, for a higher price, and then going back to the lower quality about a year later. The rest of the Marvel line quickly followed suit, and never even bothered with the "deluxe" route in the first place. By early 1997, every Marvel book was $1.95, and they never looked back.

Perelman was in charge of Marvel at this point...he was trying to pump the market for everything it could be pumped for, and then some.

In any event, they aren't variants. A variant must, by definition, have a regular version. Otherwise, the purported "variant" is, itself, the regular version.

They are the regular, newsstand versions. They were priced differently than the Direct versions, but that doesn't make them variants, UNLESS you're willing to call Direct and newsstand variants of each other (and then you'll have to go back to 1977 to do so.)

I lost track of what were discussing here already.

Is there a list of 1.99 newsstand (?) variants somewhere. would definitely love to chase those

Thanks in advance!

I believe I answered this 3 posts up for UXM. #337-#345 all newsstands were $1.99.

This applied for all Marvel books dated Oct 96 to June 97 that were priced at $1.95 for direct market.

All the other posts concerning Direct Deluxe, Direct non-Deluxe and Newsstand pre Age of Apocalypse have no bearing on your original question. None of those various editions were $1.99

Excelsior! (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

Thats kinda like the modern version of the 30/35 cent invasion. Care to guess which 1.99 cents variant is the rarest/most in demand?

No, not at all. There's a newsstand version and a direct version. Their cover prices are moot.

The Deluxe/regular editions being discussed as a tangent to your original question are closer to a 30/35 cent variant equivalent... but still not actually close at all.

A similar book printed with 2 different prices indicates that one of them is a price variant. Period. Regardless if it has a barcode, a bat, or a spider in a box (or packed in a bag with a digital code for that matter)

Is there a list of 1.99 newsstand (?) variants somewhere. would definitely love to chase those

Thanks in advance!

I believe I answered this 3 posts up for UXM. #337-#345 all newsstands were $1.99.

This applied for all Marvel books dated Oct 96 to June 97 that were priced at $1.95 for direct market.

All the other posts concerning Direct Deluxe, Direct non-Deluxe and Newsstand pre Age of Apocalypse have no bearing on your original question. None of those various editions were $1.99

Thats kinda like the modern version of the 30/35 cent invasion. Care to guess which 1.99 cents variant is the rarest/most in demand?

No, not at all. There's a newsstand version and a direct version. Their cover prices are moot.

The Deluxe/regular editions being discussed as a tangent to your original question are closer to a 30/35 cent variant equivalent... but still not actually close at all.

I read this a couple of times and it still doesnt make sense. A price variant is a price variant. Thats it. Having a variant doesnt make it close or further from being a price variant. Its just a whole diff beast

I dont think a 1.99 price variant is considered a newsstand variant more than a 40 cent whitman variant is called that.

Look you can call it what you want, I just think that a price variant is simply that - a price variant

In this case ALL Direct Market issues were $1.95 and ALL Newsstand issues were $1.99. So the difference is really just which edition it is.

With Star Wars #1 you had Newsstand copies with 30 cents on of most covers and a limited number that had 35 cents.

So it's a slightly different, but I understand what you're saying.

A similar book printed with 2 different prices indicates that one of them is a price variant. Period. Regardless if it has a barcode, a bat, or a spider in a box (or packed in a bag with a digital code for that matter)

I can understand your logic, but drawing a comparison to the 30/35 cent variants is really a stretch. The parameters when comparing the two aren't even close.

Its a cool novelty that isn't hard to find. I found one yesterday not even looking hard.

Sometimes you are lucky if you find 30/35 variants a few times a year. Except for Harry who just falls into them not matter where he goes.

Maybe because up until recently (at least based on the inquiring replies initially, INCLUDING mine) no one was really aware of this. I get that none of these were recalled, or distributed to exclusive districts (?) but a price variant, as well as other comic monstrosities, is a trend. So now, as some other have suggested, theres an additional search critiria for this growing genre.

I've been aware of these for a decade+, maybe as far back as when they were published. Since it's the newsstand version, and even in 1997, newsstand versions weren't off a cliff in terms of print run, it's not really a "variant"...it's just the newsstand version, and the newsstand versions had a different price.

It's the same for certain Valiant books of the era, too, only in reverse: the newsstand books are CHEAPER than the Direct books (Visitor vs. Valiant Universe, etc.)

If you are going to chase "price variants" that are actually just newsstand editions which happen to have one or two different numbers than the direct versions, congratulations on adding thousands of books to your want list. Have fun!

And go and buy newsstand copies of every other issue while you're at it. Why not?

No quotation needed in "price variants". These are price variants. If you need a dictionary to assist you in defining the term I can help you with that.

You knew that these price variants existed before me/others, Yay. That certainly entitles you to belittle someone's collecting preferences over yours. Congrats, you just joined the club of elitist doucheries which is another growing trend in the industry of late btw.

No, they are just newsstand editions. That's what defines them. The fact that they are priced differently than direct editions is trivial.

They aren't price variants. Don't pull a Ween, here. They are the regular newsstand versions, which happened to have a different price than the Direct versions. They aren't "variants" of anything regular to begin with.

And tone down the rhetoric, there's no need for name-calling just because someone didn't agree with you.

Thanks in advance!

I read this a couple of times and it still doesnt make sense. A price variant is a price variant. Thats it. Having a variant doesnt make it close or further from being a price variant. Its just a whole diff beast

I dont think a 1.99 price variant is considered a newsstand variant more than a 40 cent whitman variant is called that.

Look you can call it what you want, I just think that a price variant is simply that - a price variant

In this case ALL Direct Market issues were $1.95 and ALL Newsstand issues were $1.99. So the difference is really just which edition it is.

With Star Wars #1 you had Newsstand copies with 30 cents on of most covers and a limited number that had 35 cents.

So it's a slightly different, but I understand what you're saying.

And to summarize

Lazy. Come to grips with reality

Price

variance

Same book.. Different prices.. Not a common practice

it happens

Accept it

The Deluxe Edition vs standard edition issue was actually addressed in one of the little Marvel soapbox editorial things a few months before it started.

They were market testing to see if people would pay the extra like 20 or 45 or 70 cents for the higher quality paper stock (depending on title). They were producing both of them. It only lasted about 6 months. Comic shops were able to order both version, but most stores heavily ordered the higher price ones, sorta making the low-quality printing ones sorta rare? I guess. But it was quite literally a lower-quality product.

The Deluxe Edition says "Deluxe" below the X-Men tag on the box on the cover. The "newsprint" ones just have nothing but the X-Men tag below the box.

However, I don't recall a 1.95 vs 1.99 period where they were releasing the same books with both price points. I think that after the Deluxe experiment ended, the final price just ended up being 1.99 instead of 1.95.

I have the Wolverine Deluxe and 'regular' copies issues 87 - 90 and they are priced $1.95 and $1.50 respectively.

:idea: Price variants!!

No that would be silly. They are clearly labeled on the book as Deluxe variants and as such they have always been priced differently

This one I'm going to comment on, rather than just bump.

You're contradicting yourself. Why are differently priced editions not price variants if they have proper "Deluxe edition and "regular edition" classifications, but if they have proper "Direct edition" and "Newsstand edition" classifications , they are (only according to you) price variants?

The Deluxe Edition vs standard edition issue was actually addressed in one of the little Marvel soapbox editorial things a few months before it started.

They were market testing to see if people would pay the extra like 20 or 45 or 70 cents for the higher quality paper stock (depending on title). They were producing both of them. It only lasted about 6 months. Comic shops were able to order both version, but most stores heavily ordered the higher price ones, sorta making the low-quality printing ones sorta rare? I guess. But it was quite literally a lower-quality product.

The Deluxe Edition says "Deluxe" below the X-Men tag on the box on the cover. The "newsprint" ones just have nothing but the X-Men tag below the box.

However, I don't recall a 1.95 vs 1.99 period where they were releasing the same books with both price points. I think that after the Deluxe experiment ended, the final price just ended up being 1.99 instead of 1.95.

I have the Wolverine Deluxe and 'regular' copies issues 87 - 90 and they are priced $1.95 and $1.50 respectively.

:idea: Price variants!!

No that would be silly. They are clearly labeled on the book as Deluxe variants and as such they have always been priced differently

This one I'm going to comment on, rather than just bump.

You're contradicting yourself. Why are differently priced editions not price variants if they have proper "Deluxe edition and "regular edition" classifications, but if they have proper "Direct edition" and "Newsstand edition" classifications , they are (only according to you) price variants?

Lazy. Acceptance is a step in the right direction

You can label this ANYWAY YOU WANT. ok???

Ill let you have it your way.

But for the love of god, if a book is similar in content and has a different price attched to it - IT IS A PRICE VARIANT

Since Marvel saw fit to price their NEWSSTAND EDITIONS differently than direct market versions AT SOME POINT IN TIME, it would make sense to label them as NEWSSTAND PRICE VARIANTS. Just like many online retailers have and just like I have

I understand that you dont agree to it. But you belong to a society where sometime you have to accept that there are people that live here that think different than you

Way

Way Way

different than you

And to summarize

Price

variance

it happens

Accept it

Wrong. Extremely common. There are thousands of books that have a price on the DM edition that is different from the price on the newsstand edition. (I mentioned this earlier in the thread, too.)

And to summarize

Price

variance

it happens

Accept it

Wrong. Extremely common. There are thousands of books that have a price on the DM edition that is different from the price on the newsstand edition. (I mentioned this earlier in the thread, too.)

give us a percentage amount oh wise one

out of a print circulation since 1981

This thread has me super confused, but this is what I accept as fact based on years of collecting and the seeming general consensus of the collecting community:

A direct market comic and a newsstand comic, regardless of the content, appearance, or price, are two different books. One is a direct edition, one is a newsstand.

A newsstand, regardless of the price, is not a variant of a direct market book. It's a different book.

A true price variant is a different price on the same book. The 30/35 cent variants were different prices on the same book.

Changing the price on a newsstand doesn't make it a price variant. It's a different book.

NOW, if a newsstand had a price variant, that'd be something. Let's say, in theory, there are 1.99 direct versions, and 1.95 newsstands, AND then it's discovered that there is also a 1.99 newsstand, that would be a variant.

SO, with all of that established: are there actually newsstand variant prices out there on these books? Or are we just talking about direct editions and newsstand editions that happen to be priced differently (say 1.99 for the direct and 1.95 for the news)?

This thread has me super confused, but this is what I accept as fact based on years of collecting and the seeming general consensus of the collecting community:

A direct market comic and a newsstand comic, regardless of the content, appearance, or price, are two different books. One is a direct edition, one is a newsstand.

A newsstand, regardless of the price, is not a variant of a direct market book. It's a different book.

A true price variant is a different price on the same book. The 30/35 cent variants were different prices on the same book.

Changing the price on a newsstand doesn't make it a price variant. It's a different book.

NOW, if a newsstand had a price variant, that'd be something. Let's say, in theory, there are 1.99 direct versions, and 1.95 newsstands, AND then it's discovered that there is also a 1.99 newsstand, that would be a variant.

SO, with all of that established: are there actually newsstand variant prices out there on these books? Or are we just talking about direct editions and newsstand editions that happen to be priced differently (say 1.99 for the direct and 1.95 for the news)?

Your kitty looks cuter than Lazy's

But than again

Every cat looks cuter than Lazy's :baiting:

(thumbs u

I'm glad that everybody else gets it, at least.

No, not what was being discussed in this thread. In the thread that he just ruined, there are actual newsstand price variants.

(thumbs u

I'm glad that everybody else gets it, at least.

No, not what was being discussed in this thread. In the thread that he just ruined, there are actual newsstand price variants.

YOU just ruined his thread by using obscenities. He basically quit the board because of your behavior

Now are you going to answer my question or take sides with board members

Is that how it works for you?