• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most Active/Popular Comics in the Marketplace
1 1

26 posts in this topic

Hey all - sorry it's been so long since I've posted. I talk with many of you via email, but I haven't been very active out here in a while. For those I haven't met, I'm Jeff Meyer - founder at GoCollect.

We have had a ton of requests to build out a better marketplace activity feed then what we present on the home page and your dashboards. We finally got it launched about a week or so back. While the page has been getting a TON of use, we miraculously haven't had much feedback on it yet. So I wanted to drop a link out here to see if anyone would care to share any constructive criticism:

http://comics.gocollect.com/most-active

As you probably know, we track sales activity of graded comics sold though eBay. The above tool allows you to see the graded comics that are the most popular in terms of total sold. We're looking to expand on these popularity metrics and would love to hear feedback. Feel free to post here or email me directly any time: jeff at gocollect dot com.

Thanks in advance!

This is great!

Didn't know it existed until this post - but very impressed. For actively bought and sold books this is a nice free alternative to something like GPA (although GPA does present more sources of data) - but this is awesome, well done!

Sometimes this data can be misleading (in terms of quantity)

Some books because of the overall volume printed are going to be high on the list.

It reminds me of when mycomichshop posted their most sold books for a year and xmen 1 deluxe edition was in the top spot or the very top.

It's good data to have but understanding the context is critical to maximize the value of the info

Hey all - sorry it's been so long since I've posted. I talk with many of you via email, but I haven't been very active out here in a while. For those I haven't met, I'm Jeff Meyer - founder at GoCollect.

We have had a ton of requests to build out a better marketplace activity feed then what we present on the home page and your dashboards. We finally got it launched about a week or so back. While the page has been getting a TON of use, we miraculously haven't had much feedback on it yet. So I wanted to drop a link out here to see if anyone would care to share any constructive criticism:

As you probably know, we track sales activity of graded comics sold though eBay. The above tool allows you to see the graded comics that are the most popular in terms of total sold. We're looking to expand on these popularity metrics and would love to hear feedback. Feel free to post here or email me directly any time: jeff at gocollect dot com.

Thanks in advance!

One thing I found interesting is that not one Golden Age comic made the top 1000 in most active list and not many silver age made the most 1000 active list.

Is it because of prices or that the interest really is not there compared to bronze,copper or modern?

I really found it shocking,especially with golden age. I would have expected at least one GA book would be in the top 1000?

Thanks in advance!

One thing I found interesting is that not one Golden Age comic made the top 1000 in most active list and not many silver age made the most 1000 active list.

Is it because of prices or that the interest really is not there compared to bronze,copper or modern?

I really found it shocking,especially with golden age. I would have expected at least one GA book would be in the top 1000?

I'd be very surprised if a Golden Age book broke the top 1000 just due to the lack of copies in the market compared to the number NM 98 or ASM 300s. And when you factor the crazy number of books like Killing Joke and Legends 3 being bought on E-Bay in a given day you definitely will see a bias toward the newer books.

Thanks in advance!

First off - thanks for the feedback!

It's important to note that this tool [currently] looks only at total sold listings that were graded by CGC (or the other popular team) on eBay. Unfortunately, Golden Age comics within those restrictions don't see a lot of action. However, if you're looking to gauge the most popular Golden Age books within those restrictions, you can do some adjustments to the dates on the left of the screen to get a sense of popularity amongst themselves:

http://comics.gocollect.com/most-active?sales_start_date=08%2F01%2F2015&sales_end_date=01%2F16%2F2016&compare_start_date=11%2F17%2F2015&compare_end_date=12%2F16%2F2015&release_start_date=01%2F01%2F1930&release_end_date=01%2F01%2F1955

We've tried to get a few of the other popular auction houses to work with us to share their data, but they seem to be allowing GPA to monopolize that situation. So we're working on some methodologies to circumvent getting their "permission". Unfortunately, that entails manual effort to match their sales to our database... but I'm in hopes a solution will come along sooner than later. At that point, I would imagine Golden Age would technically see a larger footprint within this activity data.

Looks like a very interesting and informative website, especially considering that unlike GPA, there is no monthly service charges. (thumbs u

Yes, it would definitely be helpful, especially for the older books, if you can somehow convince the auction houses to also provide you with actual sales results for inclusion into your database. :wishluck:

Looks like a very interesting and informative website, especially considering that unlike GPA, there is no monthly service charges. (thumbs u

Yes, it would definitely be helpful, especially for the older books, if you can somehow convince the auction houses to also provide you with actual sales results for inclusion into your database. :wishluck:

$5.99 per month

$5.99 per month

Too bad then......indeed, it looks like the free portion is really just a teaser and allows you to look at the sales data in detail for only 5 books per month. :(

How does this compare to GPA in terms of both cost and information being provided? hm(shrug)

Thanks in advance!

I'd be very surprised if a Golden Age book broke the top 1000 just due to the lack of copies in the market compared to the number NM 98 or ASM 300s. And when you factor the crazy number of books like Killing Joke and Legends 3 being bought on E-Bay in a given day you definitely will see a bias toward the newer books.

I guess I don't think of it as a bias; but more like comparing NYSE (GA,SA) vs NASDAQ (moderns), slow growth vs fast growth; Less volitily vs more...

in other words you make money on SA/GA by holding; you make it in modern by buying and selling

For those that don't pay for GPA (myself included), gocollect.com is a go-to resource.

it's a great site - thanks

Granted, it is limited just with eBay sales data and I think that while eBay makes up a huge portion of the sales for any particular book, these sales almost always reflect the high end of FMV.

If gocollect.com could pull sales data from the large auction houses, that would be awesome.