• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was Superman Jewish?

27 posts in this topic

He grew up in Kansas.

lightbulb.gif

laugh.gif

If you ever meet him, you can give him one of your "I grew up there" buttons!

You're missing the point. The thread asked if he was Jewish, and anyone who has lived in Kansas for an extended period of time knows that there really aren't any Jewish people at all in the state. If they do move there, they don't stay long (or they're at the air force base which doesn't count).

He grew up in Kansas.

lightbulb.gif

laugh.gif

You're missing the point. The thread asked if he was Jewish, and anyone who has lived in Kansas for an extended period of time knows that there really aren't any Jewish people at all in the state. If they do move there, they don't stay long (or they're at the air force base which doesn't count).

It was a rhetorical question as it came from the articles themselves. But actually my wife's family is from Kansas and they've been there since the late 1930s. There is quite a large Jewish community in the Kansas City area. Of course, I don't there are many in the rural areas of Kansas, but most Jewish immigrants settled in major cities so that is not very surprising. We're not exactly farmers anymore.

He grew up in Kansas.

lightbulb.gif

laugh.gif

It was a rhetorical question as it came from the articles themselves. But actually my wife's family is from Kansas and they've been there since the late 1930s. There is quite a large Jewish community in the Kansas City area. Of course, I don't there are many in the rural areas of Kansas, but most Jewish immigrants settled in major cities so that is not very surprising. We're not exactly farmers anymore.

Yeah, and Kansas City isn't really in Kansas anyway. The largest city is Kansas is Wichita, where I grew up. Not much of a Jewish community there.

Mark, are you sure you're talking about Kansas City, KS, or Kansas City, MO? One of my housemates in college was Jewish, and his mother's entire side of the family came from KC, much to my surprise, but it was KC, MO.

He grew up in Kansas.

lightbulb.gif

laugh.gif

Yeah, and Kansas City isn't really in Kansas anyway. The largest city is Kansas is Wichita, where I grew up. Not much of a Jewish community there.

I know it was rhetorical, but I just wanted to offer my opinion on why I don't think he could be.

Mark, are you sure you're talking about Kansas City, KS, or Kansas City, MO? One of my housemates in college was Jewish, and his mother's entire side of the family came from KC, much to my surprise, but it was KC, MO.

They kept shifting from one side of the KS-MO border to the next, but most are actually on the KS side. But they are literally right next to each other. It is like driving from Washington, D.C. to VA or MD.