• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE PUNISHER on Netflix
4 4

420 posts in this topic

On 11/19/2017 at 4:43 PM, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

6 episodes in. Pretty good so far

Hide contents

But why is he without the skull!!! :ohnoez:

Spoiler

Cause for most of the show he is Frank Castle, basically you can see it as, He leaves the punisher behind and his friends are resurrecting Frank Castle, its like the internal struggle for identity.  Can Frank Castle come back, or is there only the Punisher left.

2 hours ago, CBT said:
  Hide contents

Cause for most of the show he is Frank Castle, basically you can see it as, He leaves the punisher behind and his friends are resurrecting Frank Castle, its like the internal struggle for identity.  Can Frank Castle come back, or is there only the Punisher left.

Spoiler

I just watched the last episode last night. The end of the series where he became Punisher again was really good. I just wish we had more of that throughout the series. Like every episode should have something like the prison scene from Daredevil in it. Instead we got a different origin story that the season was centered around. I would have been a lot simpler if Punisher's family was killed by the mob and he vows vengeance against all criminals. The whole series could have been him and Micro going around kicking butt.   B+ IMO

Just finished watching it last night. Fairly entertaining, and despite a couple plot points that one could see coming a mile away and a bit overlong ending (the last couple episodes could have been cut in half), it was more engrossing than the other Netflix Marvel series since Daredevil. I got bored with Jessica Jones and Luke Cage and never finished them, skipped Iron Fist as it was universally panned, as well as the Defenders because I didn't think the team concept was going to work any better than the individual series. This series had me watching to the the end.

Three episodes in and it's....a mixed bag. Jon Bernthal is great, but the show really suffers when he is not onscreen. There isn't a single supporting cast member that's even mildly interesting to me. They aren't particularly well-acted or scripted, and scenes without Frank just feel like filler. 

Hopefully that changes, but I have a feeling like this show will suffer from the same bloated run-time problems that plague the rest of the Marvel Netflix output.  

Just finished it and I have to say I really liked it... probably my favorite Netflix Marvel Series to date.
I enjoyed the characters and the story they were in. The dialogue that I thought was choppy and forced at parts in the beginning faded and became real to me.
This series really brought the passion.
Great, great, great!

1 hour ago, october said:

Three episodes in and it's....a mixed bag. Jon Bernthal is great, but the show really suffers when he is not onscreen. There isn't a single supporting cast member that's even mildly interesting to me. They aren't particularly well-acted or scripted, and scenes without Frank just feel like filler. 

Hopefully that changes, but I have a feeling like this show will suffer from the same bloated run-time problems that plague the rest of the Marvel Netflix output.  

Just wait. The charater(s) development will build up

6 hours ago, Logan510 said:

Finished it, left largely unsatisfied.

As I told a friend who loved it, my  Punisher doesn't suffer from PTSD, he causes it.

:facepalm:

Anyone who saw that much horror of war first hand only to return home and see his family slaughtered right in front of him would have far worse than PTSD.  

10 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

:facepalm:

Anyone who saw that much horror of war first hand only to return home and see his family slaughtered right in front of him would have far worse than PTSD.  

I'm not denying any of that, I just prefer his portrayal as cold and hard as he was for years.

I also prefer the randomness of being in the wrong place at the wrong time as opposed to government conspiracy.

(shrug)

THE PUNISHER Showrunner Reveals Which Villains He Hopes To Bring To Season 2 And They Sound Awesome

The Punisher only hit Netflix a few days ago but showrunner Steve Lightfoot already has some ideas for where he'd like to take the story next.

In fact, Lightfoot has some specific names in mind for which characters he hopes to bring to the big screen and his suggestions will almost certainly make fans of Garth Ennis' work very happy indeed. 

"I haven’t even thought about Season 2," he claimed before adding, "but one of the villains I love is Barracuda [from Garth Ennis’ Punisher MAX series]. "I think he’s great fun. I also really like O’Brien [also introduced in Ennis’ Punisher MAX run]. I thought she was always really cool. Certainly those two jump out at me initially, but there are so many great characters there. It’s a very fun sandbox."

1 hour ago, Logan510 said:

I'm not denying any of that, I just prefer his portrayal as cold and hard as he was for years.

I also prefer the randomness of being in the wrong place at the wrong time as opposed to government conspiracy.

(shrug)

It's so much richer of a story to throw intentional betrayal and targeting instead of just random violence, don't you think?

The PTSD, the emotional depth, is what elevates what could be a Death Wish Charles Bronson Revenge Schlock-fest into something a little more deep and moving. 

A lot of revenge flicks throw in the family, or wife, or friend or whatever death as a formulaic catalyst to get to the shooting and the killing. In this portrayal we have the shooting and the killing and the emotional screws are turned slowly until we really understand what drives him in a way that just feels more organic and real and less forced than a lot of the revenge flicks that work off this same narrative (even the good ones). 

Frankly (no pun intended) this was the most empathy I've ever felt for Frank's loss and the most "real" his family ever felt in any of the screen portrayals to date. 

7 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

It's so much richer of a story to throw intentional betrayal and targeting instead of just random violence, don't you think?

The PTSD, the emotional depth, is what elevates what could be a Death Wish Charles Bronson Revenge Schlock-fest into something a little more deep and moving. 

A lot of revenge flicks throw in the family, or wife, or friend or whatever death as a formulaic catalyst to get to the shooting and the killing. In this portrayal we have the shooting and the killing and the emotional screws are turned slowly until we really understand what drives him in a way that just feels more organic and real and less forced than a lot of the revenge flicks that work off this same narrative (even the good ones). 

Frankly (no pun intended) this was the most empathy I've ever felt for Frank's loss and the most "real" his family ever felt in any of the screen portrayals to date. 

Nope, I don't agree...it's just a matter of personal taste.

Did I need to see Michael Myers raised in a horrible home and torturing animals?

I prefer ( and feel it has more impact ) when it was a random act.

Like I said, my Punisher doesn't wake up from nightmares with cold sweats, he causes that in others and I'm fine with that.

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

Nope, I don't agree...it's just a matter of personal taste.

Did I need to see Michael Myers raised in a horrible home and torturing animals?

I prefer ( and feel it has more impact ) when it was a random act.

Like I said, my Punisher doesn't wake up from nightmares with cold sweats, he causes that in others and I'm fine with that.

I can see that, part of me wants to see that. In a 2 hour film I think that works better than in a series where it would get real tired real fast.

Watching a terminator robot without the metal skeleton for 13 episodes would probably feel like 11 episodes too long. 

It feels like it would be poor writing for film to not make the character three-dimensional. 

I am HUGE fan of the revenge-drama-genre. The best ones operate with fully formed characters. 

Like you and most fans, we all grew up with this character in comics. Comic writing was meant to work in comics and does for the most part but I realize that it's not Shakespeare, sometimes film adaptations of character can and do improve on the blueprint. 

1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

I can see that, part of me wants to see that. In a 2 hour film I think that works better than in a series where it would get real tired real fast.

Watching a terminator robot without the metal skeleton for 13 episodes would probably feel like 11 episodes too long. 

It feels like it would be poor writing for film to not make the character three-dimensional. 

I am HUGE fan of the revenge-drama-genre. The best ones operate with fully formed characters. 

Like you and most fans, we all grew up with this character in comics. Comic writing was meant to work in comics and does for the most part but I realize that it's not Shakespeare, sometimes film adaptations of character can and do improve on the blueprint. 

We don’t know if the original blueprint would work as we rarely ever get it.

The producers are so embarrassed to be working on this stuff they can hardly bring themselves to have Daredevil called... Daredevil by the other characters. Not to mention in the Defenders the constant mocking of him wearing his costume.

It’s thinking like this that gives us the PTSD Punisher and people eating it up with a spoon because it gives more “depth and meaning” to the character.

You like it, I just find it OK. Neither of us are wrong for feeling the way we do.

25 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

We don’t know if the original blueprint would work as we rarely ever get it.

The producers are so embarrassed to be working on this stuff they can hardly bring themselves to have Daredevil called... Daredevil by the other characters. Not to mention in the Defenders the constant mocking of him wearing his costume.

It’s thinking like this that gives us the PTSD Punisher and people eating it up with a spoon because it gives more “depth and meaning” to the character.

You like it, I just find it OK. Neither of us are wrong for feeling the way we do.

We got the blueprint...it was Punisher: War Zone and it sucked so hard that it started to blow. 

Just now, comix4fun said:

We got the blueprint...it was Punisher: War Zone and it sucked so hard that it started to blow. 

Meh, I liked it (shrug)

And even that movie was kind of campy.

2 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Meh, I liked it (shrug)

And even that movie was kind of campy.

Sweet Lord that movie is at the very bottom of the pile of even the worst comic movies. It was incredibly poor in acting, direction, visual effects, plot......Poor Ray Stevenson was forced to hang upside down from a chandelier and spin around while some of the most silly overpacked blood squibs explode like mini volcanos. 

As for campy, it was closer to a live-action cartoon than live-action. 

As a Punisher fan since the 70's I laughed out loud at this movie...and not in a good way. 

tumblr_mjvijpHDfz1rr3hieo1_500.gif

1 minute ago, comix4fun said:

Sweet Lord that movie is at the very bottom of the pile of even the worst comic movies. It was incredibly poor in acting, direction, visual effects, plot......Poor Ray Stevenson was forced to hang upside down from a chandelier and spin around while some of the most silly overpacked blood squibs explode like mini volcanos. 

As for campy, it was closer to a live-action cartoon than live-action. 

As a Punisher fan since the 70's I laughed out loud at this movie...and not in a good way. 

tumblr_mjvijpHDfz1rr3hieo1_500.gif

That's what makes America great. I'll take that movie over the TV show any day of the week. Heck, I just watched the Dolph Lundgren version recently and I prefer that over the TV show as well.

I will take the TV show over the Thomas Jane version though.

Aren't we the same age? How could you be a big Punisher fan from the 70's when he hardly appeared in anything? I really didn't become a "fan" of the character until he showed up in Daredevil when Miller was on the book.

And when are they going to make a big budget Mack Bolan movie??? ;)

I just finished watching it.  My wife and I both really enjoyed it.

I think, next to Daredevil it is my next favourite series. I mean, just about any TV show (or movie) is going to have weak episodes/plot holes you can drive a truck through, etc but as a whole it was very good.

I liked the interplay between Frank and Micro (some of the family stuff dragged on a wee bit).  I liked how Frank was not just a pure killing robot...Guy suffers but sometimes  seems to find "peace" in the heat of battle.  He has honour (I particularly liked the bit where he talked about how much he hated bombs). 

Who knows, Season 2 could start with him saying "#$%# this" and walk out and start taking out pedophiles or something.