• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE PUNISHER on Netflix
4 4

420 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

That's what makes America great. I'll take that movie over the TV show any day of the week. Heck, I just watched the Dolph Lundgren version recently and I prefer that over the TV show as well.

I will take the TV show over the Thomas Jane version though.

Aren't we the same age? How could you be a big Punisher fan from the 70's when he hardly appeared in anything? I really didn't become a "fan" of the character until he showed up in Daredevil when Miller was on the book.

And when are they going to make a big budget Mack Bolan movie??? ;)

I had access my brother's comic collection from the time I was 8. My mom made him let me have access. So he had a full run of ASM. He was in a dozen issues by the end of the 70's, and in the Marvel Preview mag. 

If you really enjoyed the Ray Stevenson Punisher I am having a hard time reconciling that with the Punisher not being taken seriously enough for you in the TV show. The action in War Zone bordered on dark comedy...bad dark comedy but comedy. It was like a High School film class level of special effects. It's just so juvenile. 

Edited by comix4fun

2 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I had access my brother's comic collection from the time I was 8. My mom made him let me have access. So he had a full run of ASM. He was in a dozen issues by the end of the 70's, and in the Marvel Preview mag. 

If you really enjoyed the Ray Stevenson Punisher I am having a hard time reconciling that with the Punisher not being taken seriously enough for you in the TV show. The action in War Zone bordered on dark comedy...bad dark comedy but comedy. It was like a High School film class level of special effects. It's just so juvenile. 

I didn't say it was great art, I just said I enjoyed it more than the TV show. I liked the cold, hard brutality of the Ray Stevenson Punisher, without all the pop psych 101 BS layered on.

10 hours ago, Logan510 said:

That's what makes America great. I'll take that movie over the TV show any day of the week. Heck, I just watched the Dolph Lundgren version recently and I prefer that over the TV show as well.

I will take the TV show over the Thomas Jane version though.

Aren't we the same age? How could you be a big Punisher fan from the 70's when he hardly appeared in anything? I really didn't become a "fan" of the character until he showed up in Daredevil when Miller was on the book.

And when are they going to make a big budget Mack Bolan movie??? ;)

I read somewhere it is coming soon as well as a Remo Williams movie.

11 hours ago, Red84 said:

Just finished the series.  Loved it!  Far and away the best original Netflix show that i've seen.

Met Jon Bernthal a couple years ago and had him sign an ASM 129 reprint.  Seemed like a real cool guy.  

DEB685A7-0A1C-496F-B8FB-1A34914FF0C9_zpsocretd1k.JPG

I met him once years ago, when he was still on Walking Dead. Intense dude, but very friendly. 

He was so good as Punisher on Daredevil that I took the opportunity to have him sign my original owner copies (off the stands purchases....RESPECT) of Punisher #1, War Journal #1 and DD #10.

5a15b82bb8830_PunisherWarJournal1Bernthal.jpg.cd6d93bbd3fa33b9b5c481d39c02b46e.jpg

3 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I met him once years ago, when he was still on Walking Dead. Intense dude, but very friendly. 

He was so good as Punisher on Daredevil that I took the opportunity to have him sign my original owner copies (off the stands purchases....RESPECT) of Punisher #1, War Journal #1 and DD #10.

5a15b82bb8830_PunisherWarJournal1Bernthal.jpg.cd6d93bbd3fa33b9b5c481d39c02b46e.jpg

Awesome!  I knew he would make a great Punisher because Shane on WD was effectively the Punisher.  

5 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Daredevil Punisher #10 with a Charlie Cox SS and with JB...

:luhv:

Now I'd be impressed.

Edited by Bosco685

By far Marvel's best Netflix show (sorry DD, I loved you but this was the s**t!), almost through my 2nd binge of the series, been some 5 and 6:AM bedtimes since the weekend.

I'm almost 50, a child of the '70's and grew up on the Dirty harry and Death Wish movie franchises, which coincidentally was when The Punisher made his debut so he was the perfect comic character for that era and this show stands out with the lack of those type of films lately. I had all of his appearances in ASM, and the black and white mags when they came out, was probably 6 when I got ASM 129 off the spinner rack and despite him not making regular appearances, he was one of my favorites as a kid. When you can only get one or 2 comics a month, getting a quarter from Mom was like pulling teeth, you're not really thinking much about how infrequent a certain character appears. My other favorites at the time were Silver Surer, Moon Knight and Adam Warlock, and they didn't pop up on a monthly basis either

On 11/21/2017 at 12:51 PM, Rodey said:

Just wait. The charater(s) development will build up

Finished episode four and it was absolutely awful. Their plan was to steal a truckload of guns in the middle of an FBI raid? Then get into a ten minute car chase that ends in a game of chicken interrupted by getting accidentally rammed by the truck full of guns?

That made ZERO sense. 

12 hours ago, october said:

Finished episode four and it was absolutely awful. Their plan was to steal a truckload of guns in the middle of an FBI raid? Then get into a ten minute car chase that ends in a game of chicken interrupted by getting accidentally rammed by the truck full of guns?

That made ZERO sense. 

Oh yeah, there are a bunch of scenes like that. It's almost a NetflixMarvelSeriesTradition at this point. But the ramming wasn't accidental, he was trying to do that....which makes even less sense. And if you think that's bad there are probably 4-5 little moments that will make you feel the same way before it's all over.  Still a really well done series from the characters perspective and the overall plotting, but you can tell that the writers had these little 'moment' they needed to have in the plot progressing and couldn't figure out how to get there.

23 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Oh yeah, there are a bunch of scenes like that. It's almost a NetflixMarvelSeriesTradition at this point. But the ramming wasn't accidental, he was trying to do that....which makes even less sense. And if you think that's bad there are probably 4-5 little moments that will make you feel the same way before it's all over.  Still a really well done series from the characters perspective and the overall plotting, but you can tell that the writers had these little 'moment' they needed to have in the plot progressing and couldn't figure out how to get there.

It's just so unnecessary though. Isn't Frank supposed to be an experienced tactician? What is the tactical advantage of stealing a truck during the two hours that you KNOW that Homeland Security will be watching? Oh, and he is supposed to be dead and wants to keep it that way. No better way to stay under the radar than jumping onto a moving truck carrying contraband while 30 government agents are watching, then driving in circles in a stolen red sportscar. It's ok though, they had an antenna that played dance music or whatever. There are a dozen different scenarios they could have come up with that don't turn the character into a dope and stretch credibility to the breaking point. 

Also the ridiculous "I have a hand grenade" distraction technique. Ugh.

I think you are right about writers painting themselves into a corner and just shoehorning in some junk to advance the plot. It happens. GOT has done it....but this show ain't GOT. It's four episodes in and I don't have very much goodwill to spare. Right now I am feeling like this is a case of a great performance being slow-motion ruined by sub-par material. Which is sad, because I have loved the character since I was ten years old. The source material deserves better. 

Edited by october

16 minutes ago, october said:

It's just so unnecessary though. Isn't Frank supposed to be an experienced tactician? What is the tactical advantage of stealing a truck during the two hours that you KNOW that Homeland Security will be watching? Oh, and he is supposed to be dead and wants to keep it that way. No better way to stay under the radar than jumping onto a moving truck carrying contraband while 30 government agents are watching, the driving in circles in a stolen red sportscar. It's ok though, they had an antenna that played dance music or whatever. There are a dozen different scenarios they could have come up with that don't turn the character into a dope and stretch credibility to the breaking point. 

Also the ridiculous "I have a hand grenade" distraction technique. Ugh.

I think you are right about writers painting themselves into a corner and just shoehorning in some junk to advance the plot. It happens. GOT has done it....but this show ain't GOT. It's four episodes in and I don't have very much goodwill to spare. Right now I am feeling like this is a case of a great performance being slow-motion ruined by sub-par material. Which is sad, because I have loved the character since I was ten years old. The source material deserves better. 

Watch it all the way through. 

It's the best screen version of Punisher ever produced.

While this series may be hamstrung from time to time by ill-conceived plot catalysts, it has the strongest lead and supporting cast of any on-screen Punisher to date and that really carries the core message through. The other film adaptations of punisher lean entirely on the violence and that leaves the characters underdeveloped emotionally and as human beings. If anything this series has more than enough character development. That really punches up the weight and consequences of the action. 

2 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

While this series may be hamstrung from time to time by ill-conceived plot catalysts, it has the strongest lead and supporting cast of any on-screen Punisher to date and that really carries the core message through. The other film adaptations of punisher lean entirely on the violence and that leaves the characters underdeveloped emotionally and as human beings. If anything this series has more than enough character development. That really punches up the weight and consequences of the action. 

I (unfortunately) watched Iron Fist til the end, so definitely not giving up on this. Just had higher hopes. 

6 minutes ago, october said:

I (unfortunately) watched Iron Fist til the end, so definitely not giving up on this. Just had higher hopes. 

They aren't even in the same universe...so to speak. 

The payoff to Punisher really elevates it above any technical problems along the way. 

11 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Are you invested financially in this series or something? lol

5 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Are you invested financially in this series or something? lol

No, it's just the Punisher story I've been waiting to see since they started trying to adapt this character....while everyone who's touched the character so far has tried to make him a combination of Charles Bronson in Death Wish and Arnie in Terminator...to utterly junk results. 

This is way better than that, even if it's not identical to the source material, even if he's a human being under the skull, even if it works on a level aside from wanton violence. :nyah: