• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE PUNISHER on Netflix
4 4

420 posts in this topic

Just now, comix4fun said:

No, it's just the Punisher story I've been waiting to see since they started trying to adapt this character....while everyone who's touched the character so far has tried to make him a combination of Charles Bronson in Death Wish and Arnie in Terminator...to utterly junk results. 

This is way better than that, even if it's not identical to the source material, even if he's a human being under the skull, even if it works on a level aside from wanton violence. :nyah:

He works best as a secondary character IMHO.

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

He works best as a secondary character IMHO.

Agreed. 

His manner of solving problems and righting wrongs makes him extremely difficult to write in a way that makes him both sympathetic to the audience and true to motivations.

He works as an anti-hero perfectly in relation to a more standard protagonist. He's like a cautionary tale of taking "justice" too far or too extreme. 

I think that's what the kid PTSD sufferer in the series was supposed to be.....making Frank look reasonable/sane in comparison. 

Making him the central character is going to push writers to extremes to make whomever the antagonist(s) is to be so bad, so irredeemable, that if it's not handled perfectly they come off as cartoony. 

Like in the Thomas Jane Punisher. Love Thomas Jane, he cared about that character and his portrayal....but the writers had the "bad guys" kill his entire family at a reunion, as you know. Not just his wife and kid..everyone, mom, dad, aunts, uncles, cousins, that foreign exchange student from Kuala Lumpur that they took in :cry: it was so over the top and so ham handed that it just came off wrong. 

I just finished The Punisher and all I can say is WOW. Very interesting and refreshing adaptation of the character. The casting is very good making Micro, Russo, Madani, Curtis, Lewis and the others very believable and real... with good chemistry all around. There's much I could say but don't want to spoil this for anyone.

Far superior than the other Marvel Netflix shows, and felt more like one long movie... similar feeling I had after watching a season of Breaking Bad.

I definitely recommend this. (very violent though!)

'The Punisher's Deborah Ann Woll Teases Potential Frank and Karen Romance

Frank Castle and Karen Page clearly shared a bond when appearing together in the second season of Daredevil, and the relationship continued through The Punisher solo series, which debuted on Netflix last week. Although the pair never exactly got romantically involved in the series, it seemed as though the option was very much on the table for the future.

When speaking with Cinemablend this week, Deborah Ann Woll, who plays Karen in the series, said that the romance was something that she and Punisher actor Jon Bernthal were always conscious of while shooting.

"There are conversations," Woll said of the relationship. "I have to think about how much I can sort of reveal. Also just in terms of whether this is Jon's story to tell or my story to tell, you just want to kind of be respectful of everybody's contributions. Jon and I have certainly feel that there is room for a romantic story in there. And there were certainly scenes where we took it farther in some takes than we did in other takes. We'll have to sort of wait and see what the editors chose, and how far they decided to push it. But we as actors allowed for that possibility. It'll kinda be up to Marvel and the powers that be to see how far they wanted to take it."

I don't know if I like that. Her real comic book impact and involvement is going to be in 'Born Again'. Though I do like her interaction with The Punisher.

50 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

'The Punisher's Deborah Ann Woll Teases Potential Frank and Karen Romance

I don't know if I like that. Her real comic book impact and involvement is going to be in 'Born Again'. Though I do like her interaction with The Punisher.

Oh, you mean the story where Miller turned Karen Page into a heroin addict and prostitute? The same series that ennui engorged fanboys call the "best" Daredevil story ever?

That one?

27 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Oh, you mean the story where Miller turned Karen Page into a heroin addict and prostitute? The same series that ennui engorged fanboys call the "best" Daredevil story ever?

That one?

hm

Thinks to self, "There is no way this is going to end in a heated debate due to fanatical ideologies. It will go smooth as can be, with plenty of friendly dialogue and loads of comic book educational points. It just has to."

:insane:

Edited by Bosco685

29 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

That one?

It IS the definitive DD story. 

8 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

hm

Thinks to self, "There is no way this is going to end in a heated debate due to fanatical ideologies. It will go smooth as can be, with plenty of friendly dialogue and loads of comic book educational points. It just has to."

:insane:

It won't even be a debate. I'm not changing their minds and they're not changing mine ;)

15 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I'm just waiting for Karen Page to be a Hollywood producer. She's had quite the career path on Netflix lol

Hey, at least Tony Stark isn't making everyone's costumes and weapons on Netflix. So they have that going for them.

1 hour ago, Logan510 said:

That one?

Well, it's from the original source material and, thus, must be followed slavishly.... (worship)

33 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Well, it's from the original source material and, thus, must be followed slavishly.... (worship)

They won’t and it’ll be fun to watch the usual suspects get all butthurt over it.