• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE PUNISHER on Netflix
4 4

420 posts in this topic

My wife and I have been busy so we are only up to episode 6 and I do have to agree the last couple have been very slow.  I can only guess the next few will pick up a bit after what was learned in the last episode.  Still a good show and better then most but there is whole episodes which are plodding along at a snails pace.

After the first season of Daredevil, it seemed like Marvel's movie magic was going to translate to television, too, but as time has gone on the quality has degraded.  Do the shows need to be pulled out from under Ike Perlmutter just like Kevin Feige managed to do with the movies?  hm  Is there a Kevin Feige equivalent in charge of the television shows?  I thought it was Jeph Loeb a while back, but I'm not sure he's still there.

That's not a direct commentary on Punisher because I'm only two episodes in, but it hasn't grabbed me yet.  I was an avid reader of the Garth Ennis Punishers for years and I do like the character.

Edited by fantastic_four

4 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

After the first season of Daredevil, it seemed like Marvel's movie magic was going to translate to television, too, but as time has gone on the quality has degraded.  Do the shows need to be pulled out from under Ike Perlmutter just like Kevin Feige managed to do with the movies?  hm  Is there a Kevin Feige equivalent in charge of the television shows?  I thought it was Jeph Loeb a while back, but I'm not sure he's still there.

That's not a direct commentary on Punisher because I'm only two episodes in, but it hasn't grabbed me yet.  I was an avid reader of the Garth Ennis Punishers for years and I do like the character.

Ike Perlmutter left earlier this year to focus on a certain friend's political career. But the same people he placed are there on the non-movie side.

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Ike Perlmutter left earlier this year to focus on a certain friend's political career. But the same people he placed are there on the non-movie side.

You sure?  His Wikipedia page still has him as the head of Marvel Entertainment. This article claims that the reports of his stepping down were misunderstood:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/18/no-marvel-chairman-ike-perlmutter-didnt-just-step-change-title/

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

You sure?  His Wikipedia page still has him as the head of Marvel Entertainment. This article claims that the reports of his stepping down were misunderstood:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/18/no-marvel-chairman-ike-perlmutter-didnt-just-step-change-title/

Here are articles I posted earlier this year concerning Perlmutter.

July 19, 2017

Talk about putting a bow on this package. Although you do have to give it to Perlmutter helping Marvel become a financial powerhouse over time.

Ike Perlmutter No Longer Marvel CEO! Hallelujah!

In an article that was actually published at the end of May, THR (h/t reddit) reports the eccentric billionaire, Ike Perlmutter, is no longer the Marvel CEO.

The article points out:

"His aversion to the limelight runs so deep that he's no longer CEO of Marvel, and yet, news outlets continue to confer that title upon him because there has never been any press release announcing he had relinquished that role."

A quick check of Ike Perlmutter's Wiki also references the article and notes Ike Perlmutter's end date is unknown, which may mean Perlmutter had stopped being Marvel CEO prior to May.

Ike Perlmutter has been CEO of Marvel since 2005 and has been blamed for a host of problems within the company including issues with Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios. 

Kevin Feige actually had to go above Ike Perlmutter to Disney CEO Bob Iger to remove Perlmutter and his Marvel Comics Creative Committee (Alan Fine, Dan Buckley, Joe Quesada, Brian Bendis) from being involved with the movies.

Ike Perlmutter is also said to be responsible for there not being a female Marvel Studios movie, which obviously blew up in his face when Wonder Woman was released earlier this year as it's currently WB's #3 movie of all time in North America and the #9 comic book movie adaptation.

Interestingly enough, while we all missed the news of Ike Perlmutter no longer being Marvel CEO, the past couple of months have seen the X-Men and Wolverine return to comics, gaming and merchandise. It's also speculated that the Fantastic Four may be returning to Marvel comics. In addition, Marvel TV is also working with Fox on their X-Men TV series.

Not a political post, but more shocked this news didn't get more attention when he was caught on film earlier this year with his friend, Donald Trump.

December 29, 2016

The man at the center of all that uproar finally caught on camera.

Reclusive Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter Photographed in Public at Trump Event

FRHgcRV.png

Ike Perlmutter, the CEO of Marvel Entertainment, has been photographed in public — a rare instance for the reclusive mogul.

Perlmutter met with Donald Trump at his Mar-a-Lago estate on Wednesday and was photographed by Jonathan Ernst for Reuters news agency. The image shows a sunglasses-wearing Perlmutter and Trump peering out of a window. Perlmutter was helping organize a health summit with the president-elect at Trump's Florida retreat.

Unlike executives at other major studios and networks, the 74-year-old Marvel CEO has been photographed very few times over the years. Perlmutter was said to have showed up at 2008's Iron Man premiere in disguise, Hollywood Reporter editor-at-large Kim Masters reported in a definitive 2014 profile of the mogul. Getty Images and Associated Press photo databases currently show zero results for Perlmutter.

So, why should you care about this guy? Well, as you may recall, he's proved to be a very divisive figure over the years due to the way he runs Marvel. In the past, we've heard that he's the one responsible for the way the Fantastic Four and X-Men have been treated in the comic books, while Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige reportedly got so fed up with his cost-cutting measures that he went directly to Disney and requested that he now report to them, thereby making the studio a separate entity.

Now where are the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. when you need them?

He is supposedly very much wrapped up in assisting Trump.

Just finished.

FINALLY a marvel netflix series that rivals DD season 1.

I've been getting worried that marvel Netflix was doomed, but the Punisher series was excellent.

My criticism is the same as most.... 13 episodes could have been trimmed to 10 without losing anything.  

My ranking:

1) DD1

2) Punisher

3) DD2

4) tie: Defenders

4) tie: Jessica Jones (I watched it all but didn't love it... but I loved the comic)

6) Luke cage (I only made it thru 6 episodes)

7) Iron Fist (I only made it thru 4 episodes)

Edited by gadzukes

3 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Just finished.

FINALLY a marvel netflix series that rivals DD season 1.

I've been getting worried that marvel Netflix was doomed, but the Punisher series was excellent.

My criticism is the same as most.... 13 episodes could have been trimmed to 10 without losing anything.  

My ranking:

1) DD1

2) Punisher

3) DD2

4) tie: Defenders

4) tie: Jessica Jones (I watched it all but didn't love it... but I loved the comic)

6) Luke cage (I only made it thru 6 episodes)

7) Iron Fist (I only made it thru 4 episodes)

I would rank these shows the same way. Luke cage problem is that Cottonmouth dies in the middle of the show and he is much more interesting than Diamondback. The show should have used more Mahershala Ali and Alfre Woodard who are good actors. I think I managed to watch 6 episodes of Iron Fist thou. I just wanted to belive that the show will turn good but no :(

Edited by godzilla43

We finished it up last night... consensus among myself, my wife and our son was that it was excellent and among our favorite of the Netflix series.  I've seen every one.  They've seen all but Iron Fist  (I fell on the grenade for that one for them,  watched the entire thing and then before we watched Defenders summed up what they missed as follows... "He's a whiney little "brat" (I didn't say "brat") who neither deserves his relatively useless powers nor knows how to use them."  That seemed to catch them up just fine.)

Anyway, back to Punisher...

I thought the creative team behind this series really captured the key elements that made this feel like the Punisher:
1 - it was violent... over-the-top violent.  By the middle of the series you got desensitized to the violence... which is something that happens if you spend too much time in the world of the Punisher
2 - it captured the Frank Castle vigilante / hero tightrope perfectly.  Rather than the way some movies, TV and even comics just pay lip service to calling anti-heroes vigilantes (by just having someone call them a vigilante, usually),  this series really showed and explained how and why the Punisher takes the law in his own hands and metes out his own brand of bloodly justice.    But at the same time, it was inescapable that Frank Castle was painted as a heroic figure... he was shown as a caring, loving and moral man.  Someone to root for.
3 - It was a Netflix series, but they didn't shoehorn in a big connection to the Netflix Marvel Universe.  The Punisher has always operated on the fringes of the Marvel Universe.  When he's interacted with the mainstream heroes it's been the exception, not the rule.  So while having him do so in the future will be fine, just like his Daredevil stuff as way of introduction was very cool... if they'd done more than just the Karen Page stuff they'd already established  here it would have felt forced.  It was great that they let him operate in his own space.

And beyond the specific Punisher elements, I thought this was an excellent villain origin story.  They certainly changed Billy Russo's background from mob hitman to special forces comrade-in-arms here... but I thought it worked great.  Whether they use Jigsaw in season 2 or (fingers crossed) season 3... they've establised a great arch enemy with a tremendous back story, built slowly and with a purpose.   It was fun to watch.

We definately put this near the top of our favorite Netflix series, along with DD Season 1 and Jessica Jones.

Just a heads up to fellow fans of the Punisher Netflix series - looks like season two starts filming next week. I occasionally do background acting for films and television and got a notice about the shoot. Wish I could apply but I'm busy with my regular job so perhaps I will apply for something later on. The second series should debut on Netflix sometime in 2019.

What timing!

New Casting Details For THE PUNISHER Season 2 May Point To An Adaptation Of "Suicide Run"

punisher.jpg

Recent casting news for The Punisher's second season teased the possibility that we'll see an adaptation of Garth Ennis' "The Slavers" storyline but some fresh information may point to more than just one comic book arc being brought to the small screen. That's because a new report reveals that the series is currently looking for small-town cops, leading to theories that it's borrowing elements from "Suicide Run." If that's the case, we can expect the action to move away from the Big Apple.

These casting details reveal that this small-town police squad will be based in Ohio but it's still possible that "Suicide Run" is going to factor into The Punisher somehow as we move into season two.

• [Sheriff Bonnen] an authoritative male in his early 40s.
  • [Deputy Willis] a female, 33-37, who is a good cop but looks out for #1 above all else.
  • [Deputy Creamer] a 25-28 year old male who is described as optimistic and professional.
  • [Bob] a male in his early 50s who works at the desk at the sheriff office.

17 hours ago, Cushing Fan said:

Just a heads up to fellow fans of the Punisher Netflix series - looks like season two starts filming next week. I occasionally do background acting for films and television and got a notice about the shoot. Wish I could apply but I'm busy with my regular job so perhaps I will apply for something later on. The second series should debut on Netflix sometime in 2019.

were you ever on the blacklist or bull?

2 hours ago, Eclipse said:

were you ever on the blacklist or bull?

Not yet, I've done Boardwalk Empire and The Deuce, and I'm also in the upcoming Adam Sandler film The Week Of and the Scorcese film The Irishman. I would love to do The Punisher so hopefully that works out later this year. Daredevil has also been filming around the city so that might be a possibility as well.

26 minutes ago, Cushing Fan said:

Another update on the Netflix Punisher with a pic of a new character:

Netflix Punisher

Indeed, recent intel has suggested that The Punisher‘s next installment was casting the net in search of three supporting players: Annie Beir, Kim Davis, and Melvin Skelling. Details of their respective roles weren’t disclosed, but if nothing else, this only lends credence to those rumors that Netflix and Marvel plan to adapt “The Slavers” and the “Suicide Run” comics and fuse them into one.