• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE PUNISHER on Netflix
4 4

420 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

:whatthe:

Wow, so this is the swan song?

Recent articles about Disney's streaming strategy make it sound like that's the situation. Though I thought Cage or Jessica Jones Season 2 were up next.

Edited by Bosco685

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Supposedly after this, no more Marvel TV shows will appear on Netflix, as they are migrated to the new Disney streaming service.

Nah.

The latest articles peg Disney's streaming launch for the "second half of 2019."

Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, and Daredevil are all set to launch new seasons next year.

Besides, Disney needs the time between now & then to finish buying Fox.

Edited by Gatsby77

41 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Nah.

The latest articles peg Disney's streaming launch for the "second half of 2019."

Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, and Daredevil are all set to launch new seasons next year.

Besides, Disney needs the time between now & then to finish buying Fox.

If 'latest articles' means yesterday, you may have missed a few.

Disney Streaming Service May Signal End of Marvel-Netflix Shows

Disney's upcoming streaming service may be the end of Marvel shows on Netflix, according to a new report.

Back in August the media juggernaut announced its plans to launch a streaming service in 2019, starting in the U.S. and then expanding coverage worldwide. At the time, they confirmed Disney and Pixar titles would be removed from Netflix. Disney currently produces Marvel series like Daredevil, The Punisher, and others, but new Marvel shows are expected to be exclusive to the Disney streaming service, according to The Wall Street Journal.

Pulling those movies from Netflix in 2019 could see Disney giving up over $300 million a year, sources have told WSJ.

Recently, Disney held talks to buy assets from 21st Century Fox according to reports, which would have greatly expanded available content for the fledgling streaming service, but those talks are no longer reportedly active.

It's sounding like Disney may revisit its release plans so as to not ramp anything up that then will be moved or fought over going into 2019. So a streaming roadmap of decisions to be made.

I understand the WSJ reporter's speculation but it's a greater risk for Disney to hold back on the shows (at least three new seasons) it's already licensed to Netflix for an additional year, during which they could lose momentum.

Also, it's Netflix - not Disney, that's produced all of the Marvel shows so far. The TV deal with Disney is separate from the film one.

Further, Disney has stated repeatedly that it will only pull its movies from Netflix beginning with ones released in 2019. So films including Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War, The Last Jedi, and Han Solo will all still be available on Netflix.

Edited by Gatsby77

17 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I understand the WSJ reporter's speculation but it's a greater risk for Disney to hold back on the shows (at least three new seasons) it's already licensed to Netflix for an additional year, during which they could lose momentum.

Also, it's Netflix - not Disney, that's produced all of the Marvel shows so far. The TV deal with Disney is separate from the film one.

Further, Disney has stated repeatedly that it will only pull its movies from Netflix beginning with ones released in 2019. So films including Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War, The Last Jedi, and Han Solo will all still be available on Netflix.

Yesterday's WSJ article involved interviews with people engaged in the planning. They noted how the playing field is changing.

The other article I posted clearly noted Netflix is the producer. That's known already. But it is Disney's characters, which they are already willing to take a $300M hit for a year so as not to contribute to Netflix's growth. It will be interesting if they decide to allow the shows to continue if they now already see Netflix as an enemy in a future battle.

Edited by Bosco685

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

Early critics' reviews look good.

72% positive on Rotten Tomatoes so far! (Vs. 17% for Iron Fist).

72% fairly mediocre for TV: DD Season 1 98, Jessica Jones 92, Luke Cage 95, DD Season 2 74, Defenders 74;  so it's better than Iron Fist and on par w/ DD 2 and Defenders according to critics

9 hours ago, paperheart said:

72% fairly mediocre for TV: DD Season 1 98, Jessica Jones 92, Luke Cage 95, DD Season 2 74, Defenders 74;  so it's better than Iron Fist and on par w/ DD 2 and Defenders according to critics

It's actually not that wide a spread at this point. Those other RT numbers were after all was said and done..

For example

DD Season 1 had an average critics review of 8.12/10...even though the final RT score wound up being 98

DD Season 2 was 7.0/10 with a final score of 74

Jessica Jones was 8.16/10 with a 92 final score

Luke Cage was 8.11/10 with a 95 final score

Punisher sits at 7.26/10 right now, pre-release with more than 1/2 the reviews to go.

So the spread isn't as wide as the final score, once all the reviews and reactions are tallied, might indicate. 

7 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

It's actually not that wide a spread at this point. Those other RT numbers were after all was said and done..

For example

DD Season 1 had an average critics review of 8.12/10...even though the final RT score wound up being 98

DD Season 2 was 7.0/10 with a final score of 74

Jessica Jones was 8.16/10 with a 92 final score

Luke Cage was 8.11/10 with a 95 final score

Punisher sits at 7.26/10 right now, pre-release with more than 1/2 the reviews to go.

So the spread isn't as wide as the final score, once all the reviews and reactions are tallied, might indicate. 

I give little weight to those numbers or reviews. Most of the reviewers don't appear to know anything about the characters anyway.

While I look forward to The Punisher, I can already tell from the trailer they're changing much of the character needlessly.

As an aside, I wish Disney would just buy Netflix so I don't have to get another streaming service just to get the Marvel shows :)

The only TV reviewers I trust are from The Onion's AV Club.

I've loved watching episodes of Orange Is the New Black, Homeland, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Iron Fist and then comparing their individual episode reviews (like, 600-800 words each) with my own assessment of those episodes.

Also, the AV Club's letter grade assessments generally correlated with my own (i.e., A or A- episodes tended to be the best of the season while B- or the rare C+ were usually the worst).

4 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Anybody begun watching this yet?

Tonight--- Can't WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!! 9:30pm. I'll be glued to the couch. Something tells me the first episode is going to draw me in. Well, I think many people feel this way. 

I really hope someone fries Netflix over the sleazy email promo they sent just out...  "Suspicious Activity" alert as the title, morphs into a Punisher advert when you open it.