• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clean/Press Services: Grease pencil mark(s) removal?

10 posts in this topic

Clean/Press Services: Grease pencil mark(s) removal included?

I'm aware that this is obviously a lower grade book, but would it improve slightly with the grease pencil removal of the "9-6" on the cover and the smudges and dirt cleaned off of the back cover?

Is grease pencil removal included in dry cleaning/pressing services?

Thanks!

Incredible Hulk #4

0012%20150.jpg

0012b%20150.jpg

slightly larger front cover:

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r630/ronrau/comics%20150%20dpi/0012%20150.jpg

slightly larger back cover:

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r630/ronrau/comics%20150%20dpi/0012b%20150.jpg

I'll let the experts confirm this but I would leave the grease pencil mark alone, that's the arrival date, which does not have an effect on the grade. Plus i don't believe the dry cleaning would do any thing but smear the marking making it worse.

The book has the following major defects.

Hard color breaking creases.

A significant amount of wear along the spine.

Readers crease that looks to run the full length of the book.

Water stains and edge fraying on the back.

Loss of ink from water on the front cover (like a glass or can was placed on the book)

Surface dirt.

Small tears along the edges of both covers.

If the stains can be removed or lessened and the book thoroughly dry cleaned it would improve the visual appeal. Is the book wavy at all? Indents that don't break color? These are other factors to consider that usually do not show up in a scan. Keep in mind this does not always equate with a grade bump. The grease pencil is not a big deal and on a book in this condition I would not mess with it as trying to remove it might lift off some of the underlying inks. The rest of the defects a pressing will not help.

The book has the following major defects.

Hard color breaking creases.

A significant amount of wear along the spine.

Readers crease that looks to run the full length of the book.

Water stains and edge fraying on the back.

Loss of ink from water on the front cover (like a glass or can was placed on the book)

Surface dirt.

Small tears along the edges of both covers.

If the stains can be removed or lessened and the book thoroughly dry cleaned it would improve the visual appeal. Is the book wavy at all? Indents that don't break color? These are other factors to consider that usually do not show up in a scan. Keep in mind this does not always equate with a grade bump. The grease pencil is not a big deal and on a book in this condition I would not mess with it as trying to remove it might lift off some of the underlying inks. The rest of the defects a pressing will not help.

+1