• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Return of Steve Rogers

37 posts in this topic

He's coming back as Captain America, according to an almost throw away line in the tv special.

Why isn't there widespread rejoicing thru-out the land?

It was inevitable. So jaded.

The Original Captain America Is Coming Back

Evan Narcisse

Yesterday 9:48pmFiled to: CAPTAIN AMERICA

The Original Captain America Is Coming Back

Right now, there’s only one Captain America flying through the skies of Marvel’s mainline comic-book universe. But later this year, the original super-soldier will be back in the red-white-and-blue. And don’t worry about current shield-wielder Sam Wilson; he’ll sticking around. That’s right: two Caps at the same time.

Tonight’s news coincided with a TV special on ABC celebrating the 75th anniversary of Captain America. The upcoming series will be titled Captain America: Steve Rogers and an interview on Marvel’s official site with writer Nick Spencer and artist Jesus Saiz states that the two Captain Americas will be operating independently of each other and pursuing different agendas:

It means we’ll have two Captain Americas. When Steve handed the shield to Sam, it didn’t come with any caveats. It’s his. Steve respects and admires what his old partner is doing, and wants him to carry on. There are enough problems out there, and enough bad guys, to keep both of them busy. They’ll have very different missions; Sam will continue fighting the battles no one else will go near, while Steve is faced with a resurgent threat from his past: Hydra is back, and stronger than ever.

For me, it’s great, because I get to tell two very different kinds of Captain America stories. If you’re liking what we’re doing in CAPTAIN AMERICA: SAM WILSON, with a more topical, of-the-moment take, we’ve got a lot more of that coming your way; but if you’re looking for that classic, timeless version, the one that’s steeped in the Greatest Generation with Cap fighting the face of true evil, now we’ve got that for you as well. I think they’ll complement each other nicely.

Right now, I like this move for the reasons Spencer cites above. Sam isn’t getting kicked off a prestigious mantle; instead, Marvel editorial is apparently giving Spencer leeway to re-envision how two characters embody the role of Marvel’s foremost patriotic hero. There’ve been many storylines where two Captain Americas simultaneously existed but plots where one of them hasn’t been evil or time-shifted are rare.

Steve will be sporting both a new costume and a new shield, while Sam keeps the original circular weapon. More details about the changes are available at Marvel.com.

Looks like he is going back to his original shaped shield, with some hi-tech gimmicks added.

Original circular weapon?

I thought they meant the version from Captain America Comics 1 ! :preach:

He's coming back as Captain America, according to an almost throw away line in the tv special.

With Civil War coming to theaters, you knew it would happen, so not really a surprise. I don't mind Falcon staying in the role he earned either, but do we really need Sam Wilson: Captain America & Steve Rogers: Captain America? Both will be going by the same name, which will only lead to confusion.

It was inevitable. So jaded.

I never liked the whole "death" gimmick to drive sales just to bring the character back later to make more sales.

***News alert...Wolverine will be back in about a year.

How many variant covers are they making and which ones will be the best?

Will there be a GwenCap?

Wait - if Gwen becomes Cap, then she'll be.... Capt. Stacy! :o

Captain Gwenmerica.

Captain AmeriGwen

Captain AGwenica

It means well have two Captain Americas. When Steve handed the shield to Sam, it didnt come with any caveats. Its his. Steve respects and admires what his old partner is doing, and wants him to carry on. There are enough problems out there, and enough bad guys, to keep both of them busy. Theyll have very different missions; Sam will continue fighting the battles no one else will go near, while Steve is faced with a resurgent threat from his past: Hydra is back, and stronger than ever.

I love reading these updates. It reminds me why I stopped buying all Marvel comics when they went to Marvel Now. All they are doing is re-using old plotlines that were already re-used.

It means well have two Captain Americas. When Steve handed the shield to Sam, it didnt come with any caveats. Its his. Steve respects and admires what his old partner is doing, and wants him to carry on. There are enough problems out there, and enough bad guys, to keep both of them busy. Theyll have very different missions; Sam will continue fighting the battles no one else will go near, while Steve is faced with a resurgent threat from his past: Hydra is back, and stronger than ever.

I love reading these updates. It reminds me why I stopped buying all Marvel comics when they went to Marvel Now. All they are doing is re-using old plotlines that were already re-used.

Recycling old marketing strategies. Putting up with all of that just once in the 90s was enough for me.

A 'fool me once ...' situation.