• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Mutants 98 on eBay....5 raw "NM/MT" copies at $39 each???

94 posts in this topic

Well, there is the chance that the seller has no idea what he's doing.

Worst case scenario, I contact eBay/Paypal and have to file a chargeback.

In that case, Paypal will side in my favor so I will only lose out on time.....there is literally no gamble here as far as getting Paypal to side in my favor.

oh there is definitely someone here who has no idea what he is doing

Nah.

Given that eBay holds funds from unestablished sellers, I knew the chance of me getting flat out ripped off was absolutely nil.

On the flipside, if the deals were legit....I'd have scored 8 copies of NM 98 very cheaply and would be flying high.... to qoute the great Dave Chapelle...."I'm rich, b'yotch!" ;)

I took a gamble, just lost a bit of time.

I usually do pretty well with eBay buying.Killed it with a pressable to 9.4/9.6 copy of Preacher 1 for $110 shipped yesterday...and a nice run of Preacher #2-57 for $150 shipped, 2 days ago.

As long as you know how to spot opportunities on eBay, it#s good for buying.This instance was of course, too good to be true but while it sucks that I wasted my time on this fiasco of get rich quick with a stack of copper age gems.....hehe......nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Now that eBay and PayPal are separate I don't believe this to be the case any longer (holding of funds). If user has verified bank info, they can immediately withdraw funds. PayPal still potentially covers buyer, but scam guy gets away with loot

If you check the eBay community boards there are still noob sellers complaining about their funds being held on a weekly basis, so it's my impression that the 21 day rule (or 3 days after tracking shows delivery) for releasing funds is still in effect. As with any eBay or Paypal policy, this could change on a dime.

Despite noobs grumbling, this is actually a pretty decent fail safe for eBay buyers (as well as both companies), so I will be surprised if they do away with it any time soon.

You're absolutely right about naru'd accounts, though: I love seeing naru'd accounts when I encounter problems (as either a buyer or seller) because it expedites the resolution process on my end.

I have a customer at the store that just opened an eBay account to sell some sideshow. 0 feedback initially and he did several thousand his first week. Withdrew money immediately. No hold. He used money to buy some statues from me :idea:

Open case today and refund will come tomorrow
He wont be able to open a case just yet. The buyer will likely enter a bogus tracking number, thus buying time and ebay will establish a date that the buyer must wait until before they can actually open a case. Then he will have to wait for the sellers response (more time) and then you can ask ebay customer support to get involved. Mid Feb the funds will be back, no sooner (thumbs u

That is pretty much what I suspect.

Also....the seller has zero feedback, registered in August 2015.

eBay places holds on seller's funds intil they have a proven track record.As he clearly has no such record, there is no way for the seller to access the funds.

So I am covered by Paypal Buyer Protection and there is no loophole here for the seller to pull a fast one.(at least I effing hope so)

In any event, I'm calling eBay now to get this process started.I'll post up how this plays out.

groan....

What are you doing!!???!! :makepoint:

If you open up a case of any kind against this guy, you may as well kiss those NM 98s away. :facepalm:

Haha....

Well, just got off the phone with eBay.

Spent 15 minutes getting shuttled around but my claim was expedited and the refund for both lotshas been issued and will show up in my PP account within 24 hours.

I was pretty sure this was a scam but knew that eBay would have my back.Figured there was a 10% chance I had lucked out No money has been lost, which is the only reason I was willing to gamble with my time, in the first place.

The rep told me the seller was suspended for violating listing policies, FWIW.

I am curious though....how succesful this sort of scam could ever *possibly* be, given that eBay holds funds from newly registered sellers.

I can only guess that some buyers do not file claims for months, hoping they will get a key book for a fraction of its' value.

Where'd you pull "10%" out of? ... In actuality it was closer to .001% , (new account , from China, zero feedback, selling $800 comics for $39.99...) but who's counting :facepalm:

Hence is why scams will be forever on eBay 2c

He wont be able to open a case just yet. The buyer will likely enter a bogus tracking number, thus buying time and ebay will establish a date that the buyer must wait until before they can actually open a case. Then he will have to wait for the sellers response (more time) and then you can ask ebay customer support to get involved. Mid Feb the funds will be back, no sooner (thumbs u

eBay places holds on seller's funds intil they have a proven track record.As he clearly has no such record, there is no way for the seller to access the funds.

So I am covered by Paypal Buyer Protection and there is no loophole here for the seller to pull a fast one.(at least I effing hope so)

In any event, I'm calling eBay now to get this process started.I'll post up how this plays out.

groan....

If you open up a case of any kind against this guy, you may as well kiss those NM 98s away. :facepalm:

Haha....

Spent 15 minutes getting shuttled around but my claim was expedited and the refund for both lotshas been issued and will show up in my PP account within 24 hours.

I was pretty sure this was a scam but knew that eBay would have my back.Figured there was a 10% chance I had lucked out No money has been lost, which is the only reason I was willing to gamble with my time, in the first place.

I am curious though....how succesful this sort of scam could ever *possibly* be, given that eBay holds funds from newly registered sellers.

I can only guess that some buyers do not file claims for months, hoping they will get a key book for a fraction of its' value.

Where'd you pull "10%" out of? ... In actuality it was closer to .001% , (new account , from China, zero feedback, selling $800 comics for $39.99...) but who's counting :facepalm:

Don't worry he just bought some preacher books and he is going to press them to like 9.6's but his presser takes time and he doesn't have time and by the time its the books time to be done time will have passed on the timing of selling these.

You have to wonder why these scammers use comics as their item... Why not list a diamond encrusted Rolex watch?

Is it not the case that some listing category's are more closely monitored than others? Can they get away with listing a high dollar book in the comics section where they couldn't with an expensive bit of jewellery in that section?

And this deal was low dollar but how many scam thread pop up here weekly about AF15 or similar? These con artists must be making a fortune! I was duped into buying an X-Men #1 about 3-4 months back.... My money was tied up for at least 3 weeks!

I don't think new seller should be allowed to sell anything worth more than £100 or so... If they try getting around it starting at 99p and the price goes over a ton, they should be red flagged and looked at by ebay...

I have heard similar stories. Go figure. It makes you wonder what's really going on behind the scenes at eBay and Paypal and why some noobs automatically have holds placed on their accounts, while others do not. In my mind, if they are going to employ such a security measure for noobs it should be all or none.

If you check the eBay community boards there are still noob sellers complaining about their funds being held on a weekly basis, so it's my impression that the 21 day rule (or 3 days after tracking shows delivery) for releasing funds is still in effect. As with any eBay or Paypal policy, this could change on a dime.

Despite noobs grumbling, this is actually a pretty decent fail safe for eBay buyers (as well as both companies), so I will be surprised if they do away with it any time soon.

You're absolutely right about naru'd accounts, though: I love seeing naru'd accounts when I encounter problems (as either a buyer or seller) because it expedites the resolution process on my end.

----

my funds were held for weeks even though my account is from the 90s and i had over 200 feedback. i just had not sold in a while.

You have to wonder why these scammers use comics as their item... Why not list a diamond encrusted Rolex watch?

Is it not the case that some listing category's are more closely monitored than others? Can they get away with listing a high dollar book in the comics section where they couldn't with an expensive bit of jewellery in that section?

And this deal was low dollar but how many scam thread pop up here weekly about AF15 or similar? These con artists must be making a fortune! I was duped into buying an X-Men #1 about 3-4 months back.... My money was tied up for at least 3 weeks!

I don't think new seller should be allowed to sell anything worth more than £100 or so... If they try getting around it starting at 99p and the price goes over a ton, they should be red flagged and looked at by ebay...

I'm guessing it's because with all the movie hyped books, comics are the new hot item to make money on. I've seen many card (sports/non-sports) guys say they've moved into flipping comics now. It takes some time to learn the business and I'm sure there are guys with dollar signs in their eyes diving into it without the proper knowledge.

If I did something that foolhardy, I wouldn't come here to crow about it.

If I fell off the turnip truck and landed on my head, I wouldn't come here to crow

about it.

Yup ...this might show up in the mail

FD90740F-4599-4F32-AAA5-8EC4EB220AF3.jpg

The listing product identifier had the info for the 1st print, as did the description.

A seller could send a reprint...or a copy of Newsweek.

In that event, Paypal would have me covered 100%.

I think you're missing the point that the seller will still get your money and it will encourage others to pull the same; or worse this one to continuw. So next time you do get worked over on an Ebay deal by a scammer and lose out, you can look right in the mirror...

just saying...

Nothing like enabling scammers. Should expect nothing less from CAK. Pathetic :facepalm:

groan....

Haha....

Don't worry he just bought some preacher books and he is going to press them to like 9.6's but his presser takes time and he doesn't have time and by the time its the books time to be done time will have passed on the timing of selling these.

Common guy. You know he's busy. :roflmao: