• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for Heritage and comiclink reps wrt Burkey admission
2 2

420 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

:devil:

It should be mentioned that shill bidding is likely a crime under Federal law, as well as various State’s laws. You will find the subject pops up quite a bit, particularly in eBay auctions. And, if something is criminal, there is usually a civil basis to sue someone (example- the crime of murder is also an intentional tort, like wrongful death.)

5 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

It should be mentioned that shill bidding is likely a crime under Federal law, as well as various State’s laws. You will find the subject pops up quite a bit, particularly in eBay auctions. And, if something is criminal, there is usually a civil basis to sue someone (example- the crime of murder is also an intentional tort, like wrongful death.)

scary stuff this whole market manipulation

16 hours ago, Will_K said:

I WAS just about to ask "Where's John Turturro when you really need him ??"

In any case, I have to keep in mind that whenever I'm bidding, I could be bidding against dealers.

Also, keep in mind that this stuff is just stuff, and not worth stress. So when I have seen pieces’ prices rise to a level I cannot understand marketwise, I walk away and don’t look back. There really are an amazing amount of talented artists out there, and I don’t feel any need to collect trophies.

Edited by Rick2you2

4 hours ago, StumbleBum said:

Not in Texas. Ask N P Gresham, he'll tell you that shill bidding is perfectly legal in Texas and says so right in their TOS.

These days, just think of it as a hidden reserve.  In the olden days, it was a bidding pool.  Similar concept.  David

I think the way it works is that the house can bid on their own items in the sale if any, and that it can bid on other items in the sale only when there is a reserve and the reserve is unmet (that process is what allows for the bump to just under reserve that we typically see on the few lots with a reserve a couple days before auction date).    But hopefully someone more knowledgeable on the specifics will pipe up.

What the house can't do, at least to my belief, is just bid on whatever it feels like.   

Its either:

1) their items; or

2) items with reserves not yet met.

At least as far as I understand it.

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, grapeape said:

( think Dave from Storage Wars “drop it on him.” “Yep!!”)

I've watched way more than my fair share of Storage Wars.  Dave was the most disliked of them all.  And he was certainly the shrewdest of them.  And he knew why he was bidding on a locker.  At least that's the way it was presented on the "reality show".  So take it with a storage locker full of grains of salt.  And he did run up bids just for fun.  On the other hand, in running up bids, I don't recall him ever getting stuck with a locker he didn't want.  Again... "reality show".

I was also fan of Auction Hunters.  Allen and Ton always turned out some fun episodes.

48 minutes ago, Will_K said:

I've watched way more than my fair share of Storage Wars.  Dave was the most disliked of them all.  And he was certainly the shrewdest of them.  And he knew why he was bidding on a locker.  At least that's the way it was presented on the "reality show".  So take it with a storage locker full of grains of salt.  And he did run up bids just for fun.  On the other hand, in running up bids, I don't recall him ever getting stuck with a locker he didn't want.  Again... "reality show".

I was also fan of Auction Hunters.  Allen and Ton always turned out some fun episodes.

:gossip:  Storage Wars is fake...

I am ok with HA bidding up to the reserve the days before the auction. I am not ok with Prop Store doing the same thing during the live auction. I have seen items that site at, say, 500 dollars in the pre-auction bidding with a low estimate of 1000. During the auction, the auctioneer calls, 600, 700, 800, 900 and then stops, coaxing the 1k bid which is the reserve. This gives the false sense of live action on an item. HA sort of does the same but its less pressure because it don't before living bidding. 

5 hours ago, grapeape said:

Fact:

You won’t find the quality of items on eBay that you do on HA.Not so easy to exclude the worlds premier auctioneer of  comic art if you’re a serious collector. 

The biggest shill bidding bar none takes place on.....wait for it.....eBay.

Im not knocking your opinion at all. I just want collectors especially new ones to know the score.

I hate reserves as a buyer.

I hate shill bids.

Never make a bid unless you honestly hope to own a piece. We joke all the time about “punishment bids” where you bid to keep a rival from getting a piece on the cheap ( think Dave from Storage Wars “drop it on him.” “Yep!!”) Still even there there is the risk that a bid could be a winning bid. You could be stuck with a piece you didn’t really want!

Art is listed and bought back all the time by the original owner (lister) that is it never leaves their hands. I know this because I watch everything and have for many years. The seller sees his piece is going to sell too low and has a partner “buy the page.” The seller absorbs the fee and finds a different strategy to sell.

Thats why “bargains” are virtually impossible to find. If you want to buy in to this market, research it exhaustively and buy bid accordingly.

some sellers are terrified of the prospect of “losing” big money by letting art list without a reserve.

Sad solution we get reserves which are the same as no auction at all and do not excite buyers.

Worse we get

1) scardey cats afraid to take a bath list an “auction” piece and have their friends protect them with shill bids.

2) Auction houses or sellers that privately promote “price protection” with buy backs and shill bids.

Whats the cure? Don’t bid on anything you’re not happy with at your max bid. Then you can’t lose.

Grapeape almost extensively

1) lists a nominal starting bid say 99 cents and let the market decide...scary but I’ve almost always matched or exceeded my expectations.

2) listed at HA or Comiclink no reserve and excepted my fate with no shills.

Heres the good news. Are there shenanigans within the original comic art market?   YES

Should that preclude or discourage you from collecting, buying and selling art?

HELL NO

Information is the key. Learn the score and you will enjoy, thrive and do well in this hobby. (thumbsu

Bargains are almost impossible to find if you are interested in making money, at least in the short run. 

The reason for this qualification, as I have said before, is that there is no good reason to buy based on what is popular purely for the sake of the art.  With all due respect to Jim Lee fans, those who drool at “McSpidey” covers, or think anything signed by Kirby is worth almost any price, there is a lot of really good work out there for a lot less. Just walk away.

2 hours ago, cstojano said:

During the auction, the auctioneer calls, 600, 700, 800, 900 and then stops, coaxing the 1k bid which is the reserve. This gives the false sense of live action on an item.

2 hours ago, RBerman said:

This forum taught me the term "Chandelier Bidding" earlier this year.

The cult that inspired "drink the Kool-Aid" didn’t ...

2 hours ago, RBerman said:

This forum taught me the term "Chandelier Bidding" earlier this year.

You may want to read more about it in: “ “The Chandelier” in the Phantom of the Auction” at the website “Center for Art Law.”

The author isn’t exactly right about the reference to the Uniform Commercial Code or UCC. While it is technically just a model law which states can adopt or not, I believe it has now been adopted in all states, although they have not adopted the same versions of it or have modified it occasionally.