• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for Heritage and comiclink reps wrt Burkey admission
2 2

420 posts in this topic

Assuming you mean 'in person', I think it's pretty cool you guys don't get upset re: the whole "they all look the same" rap. It's all the rage these days to get offended (and yell racist at the top of your lungs) at the drop of a hat, but sometimes people are dorks or weren't really paying attention and it's simple confusion.

To this point specifically, I've experienced the real thing (including being refused service in a restaurant), so this other stuff just amuses me. I don't consider it a big deal.

When I was in college, I had an older roommate who gave me an ID to use that had been passed down to him from someone else. When I had no more use for it, I gave it to a younger roommate.

The original owner was Korean, 5'11", 140 lbs.

The next guy was Japanese, 5'7", 130 lbs.

I'm Chinese and was 6'0", 170 lbs.

Guy after me was Vietnamese, 5'9", 150 lbs.

It worked for all of us.

lol

Well, it could be worse. You could be Glen Gold and have most of the OA hobby thinking that you and Glen Brunswick are the same person!* :doh:

If only I could collect royalties from all the people who will walk up to Glen B. this year at conventions and thank him for publicly outing the shilling going on in our hobby.

* Not a slight against Glen B. - just saying that their first names are the only things the two have in common, as they don't look anything alike!

B. I wanted to remind him which Asian collector I am (and glad I did, because he had me confused with someone who had stiffed him doh! ).

If I had a dollar for every time someone mistook me for you and called me "Felix"...I'd have enough to buy an Extra Value Meal at Mickey D's. :doh:

Assuming you mean 'in person', I think it's pretty cool you guys don't get upset re: the whole "they all look the same" rap. It's all the rage these days to get offended (and yell racist at the top of your lungs) at the drop of a hat, but sometimes people are dorks or weren't really paying attention and it's simple confusion. Anyway, I bet all whites (you don't know well) look about the same to non-whites...pretty sure I've seen some brilliant stand-up on that very theme...cannot remember who though...

That's only because all comedians sound alike. lol

:jokealert:

thanks James, I thought of that and left it to dangle...glad you nailed it :)

Felix good story on fake ID...which sort of proves the concern cop/legal procedurals try to convey about eyewitness accounts...height, weight, 'look' within merely somewhat narrow range = HE DUNNIT OFFICER!!

When I was in college, I had an older roommate who gave me an ID to use that had been passed down to him from someone else. When I had no more use for it, I gave it to a younger roommate.

It worked for all of us.

lol

Well, it could be worse. You could be Glen Gold and have most of the OA hobby thinking that you and Glen Brunswick are the same person!* :doh:

If only I could collect royalties from all the people who will walk up to Glen B. this year at conventions and thank him for publicly outing the shilling going on in our hobby.

* Not a slight against Glen B. - just saying that their first names are the only things the two have in common, as they don't look anything alike!

I am lucky not many tall white long haired hippies collecting comic art.

Well, it could be worse. You could be Glen Gold and have most of the OA hobby confuse you for Glen Brunswick! :doh:

lol

I claim exclusive rights for every time Glen B. replies "You're welcome."

In light of recent events where Burkey has admitted to shilling many consignments through one or more third parties, do your organizations plan on accepting future consignments from Mike? Do your organizations plan on allowing him to bid in your auctions?

Why wouldn't they? They are getting money from both the seller and the high bidder.

Because shill bidding is illegal in Texas unless it is disclosed prior to the auction. They now have knowledge that his items will be shill bid so either:

1) They state that shill bidding is allowed or

2) They ban Mike from directly consigning or

3) They could face legal issues (civil and criminal I'd think).

Seems like a good reason to ban him.

Question for the group: will any of these revelations, and what the auction houses may or may not do in response, affect your willingness to bid in the upcoming auctions?

No. I know what I would pay and that's my limit. However, I'm more certain that ever that I'm likely to overpay vs. the "real" market.

Question for the group: will any of these revelations, and what the auction houses may or may not do in response, affect your willingness to bid in the upcoming auctions?

No. I know what I would pay and that's my limit. However, I'm more certain that ever that I'm likely to overpay vs. the "real" market.

Actually, it just depends on who your are dealing with. Ethics and "fair play" do matter to some people still.

Actually, it just depends on who your are dealing with. Ethics and "fair play" do matter to some people still.

Keep advertising that James, it's definitely valued-added in comparison.

Keep advertising that James, it's definitely valued-added in comparison.

Just saying that one should never feel certain they will overpay, as that largely relies on the person/organization they are dealing with. Some people don't play such games.

B. I wanted to remind him which Asian collector I am (and glad I did, because he had me confused with someone who had stiffed him doh! ).

If I had a dollar for every time someone mistook me for you and called me "Felix"...I'd have enough to buy an Extra Value Meal at Mickey D's. :doh:

Assuming you mean 'in person', I think it's pretty cool you guys don't get upset re: the whole "they all look the same" rap. It's all the rage these days to get offended (and yell racist at the top of your lungs) at the drop of a hat, but sometimes people are dorks or weren't really paying attention and it's simple confusion. Anyway, I bet all whites (you don't know well) look about the same to non-whites...pretty sure I've seen some brilliant stand-up on that very theme...cannot remember who though...

It worked for all of us.

(It finally got taken away from the Vietnamese guy because he had forgotten to memorize the birthday on the ID and when he got asked by a bouncer what it was, instead of answering, he said "it's right here" and pointed to it on the card.)

great story lol

What Mike did is very very wrong. There may be limits to how much they can detect and prevent this type of behavior, but Mike has come out and admitted it.

Heritage knows how wrong it is. If they do not ban him from consigning ANY items to their auctions for life, it seriously calls into question their commitment to fairness and ethical behavior in this hobby, and others as represented by the many types of auctions they run. It seems they also need to investigate, and answer for, the bidding history for any auctions that were Mike's consignments going back years. Likely there would be monetary restitution coming for anyone who won any auction that Mike may have shilled. Perhaps automatic partial reimbursements for all of his items is in order.

Anyone who participating in this ring as Mike's confederates should likewise be banned.

They should also announce enhanced measures to detect this kind of unethical activity. An internal "detective" of sorts could have caught this pattern of behavior early on, just by perusing his website, like the OP did.

I don't collect OA. But I am interested to know if Mike ever consigned comic books or any other collectible to any of their auctions.

If anyone would like to put together a letter to Heritage (and other houses) voicing the concerns of the community, I would gladly sign it. Perhaps an organized boycott of the upcoming signature auction? A couple hundred signatories should be taken seriously one would hope. And to the many, many comic collectors on here, you don't have to be an OA collector to be concerned and take action about this.

It worked for all of us.

(It finally got taken away from the Vietnamese guy because he had forgotten to memorize the birthday on the ID and when he got asked by a bouncer what it was, instead of answering, he said "it's right here" and pointed to it on the card.)

great story lol

I used to bounce and a lot depends on the establishment and how strict they are and even the individual bouncer and their mood along with police activity. I went back to my old college for the first time in 8 years and got destroyed Friday night. They let me work the door Saturday night. Let in a few guys with questionable IDs. The girl with them hands me an out of state ID from Mass. I asked her address she responded Mass. I told her to give me the street address. "I just moved." She was told to take a hike. If she answered correctly even though the nose was a dead give away it was not her in the ID I would have let her in.

I actually sold my friend my ID after I graduated as he was going to Oneonta as well. It was so good he used it locally and the guy at the liquor store's son was best friends with my older brother in high school. He talked to him for 15 minutes about my brother believing it was me and the kid never got caught. He only got rejected twice with the ID and once was because the bouncer personally knew me in college and he was told there were too many cops around that night.

The first time I ever went to the bar i wound up working at I got in with my legal drivers license, 2 of my friends got in with an expired learners permit with the same picture. It was a Sunday, so that explained a lot.

The one guy I bounced with got in trouble with the manager for snapping a kids ID in half and keeping it. Similar to the above story the kid was Hispanic but using a Philippino guys ID whose DOB was also altitle too old to be believable. My friend had to give the ID back...snapped in half.

A lot just depended on my mood and how strict I wanted to be and if people rubbed me the wrong way. One kid I knew for a fact was 19 had an ID stating he was 29. I let all his friends in except for hm because that was too much of a stretch. He called me a ...and he never got in the bar after that point even when others were working the door.

I rejected some kid with an AZ ID and he walked away without a word. A week later I was out drinking and another guy let him in with that ID. From that point on I let him in and even drank with him a few times.