• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for Heritage and comiclink reps wrt Burkey admission
2 2

420 posts in this topic

If anyone wants to know whether HA, Clink, CC, et al will continue to take consignments from Mike, call him and ask. I did. He requested that I not post anything from our conversation, so I won't, but he's more than willing to talk to anyone on the phone.

Let's just say the answer shouldn't come as a shock.

In light of recent events where Burkey has admitted to shilling many consignments through one or more third parties, do your organizations plan on accepting future consignments from Mike? Do your organizations plan on allowing him to bid in your auctions?

Question for the group: will any of these revelations, and what the auction houses may or may not do in response, affect your willingness to bid in the upcoming auctions?

the-spice-must-flow.jpg

In light of recent events where Burkey has admitted to shilling many consignments through one or more third parties, do your organizations plan on accepting future consignments from Mike? Do your organizations plan on allowing him to bid in your auctions?

Question for the group: will any of these revelations, and what the auction houses may or may not do in response, affect your willingness to bid in the upcoming auctions?

If you had previosly seen a piece on Burkeys site, and then it went up for auction...id imagine at the least you might temper bidding

the-spice-must-flow.jpg

lol

If you had previosly seen a piece on Burkeys site, and then it went up for auction...id imagine at the least you might temper bidding

For myself, I will just pass

No he doesn't. He will have the original $5,000 plus 20% of $8,000 (the buyer's premium) or about $6,600 into the piece since he'll get paid the net proceeds from the auction. Yet, everyone will see $8,000 as the market comparable when, in fact, it is not a true comparable.

Whoops. Dang, you're right. I apologize for the horrible math.

In any case, it's market manipulation (as my bad math example is still true, just not on the same scale).

Using your correct math, everyone sees 8K. Everything rises based on that phony sale (or sales). Even non-comparable stuff by "lesser" artists.

If anyone wants to know whether HA, Clink, CC, et al will continue to take consignments from Mike, call him and ask. I did. He requested that I not post anything from our conversation, so I won't, but he's more than willing to talk to anyone on the phone.

Sorry, to clarify, you spoke to Mike, or auction house representatives?

auction house?

I have to say the silence is deafening, they normally post quickly when its something that involves their businesses.

I will call later, thx

I somehow doubt that they will be discussing what they decide to do, if anything, with all of us. Until then I guess I will just have to ask someone else if they have any Grey Poupon.

Do you really think the auction houses are going to turn down potential revenue?

Do you think the dealers that consign will stop shilling? They'll need to continue to shill to keep the value of their originals up, otherwise all they have is a lot of self-perceived value.

MI

Sorry, to clarify, you spoke to Mike, or auction house representatives?

I spoke to Mike. There's a specific reason why I don't bother asking the auction houses, but if anyone wants to try, maybe they'll get an answer.

Wow, that's a lot of PMs all at once. I'll just answer here.

Yes, I called Mike yesterday. Left a VM and he returned my call later that night. I called him because:

A. He had accused me of "hiding" and I wanted to let him know I wasn't.

B. I wanted to remind him which Asian collector I am (and glad I did, because he had me confused with someone who had stiffed him doh! ).

C. I wanted to talk about this controversy.

As those of you who have met him know, Mike is an extremely friendly, personable guy. We talked for 40 minutes before I had to hang up. He was very generous with his time.

Without getting into specifics, we were not able to come to an ultimate agreement, despite each of us arguing our side as strongly as we could. Suffice it to say, Mike has his own definitions for certain words, and he's OK with that.

You're all free to find out for yourself, but my hunch is that you'll come away with a similar experience.

Wow, that's a lot of PMs all at once. I'll just answer here.

Yes, I called Mike yesterday. Left a VM and he returned my call later that night. I called him because:

A. He had accused me of "hiding" and I wanted to let him know I wasn't.

B. I wanted to remind him which Asian collector I am (and glad I did, because he had me confused with someone who had stiffed him doh! ).

C. I wanted to talk about this controversy.

As those of you who have met him know, Mike is an extremely friendly, personable guy. We talked for 40 minutes before I had to hang up. He was very generous with his time.

Without getting into specifics, we were not able to come to an ultimate agreement, despite each of us arguing our side as strongly as we could. Suffice it to say, Mike has his own definitions for certain words, and he's OK with that.

You're all free to find out for yourself, but my hunch is that you'll come away with a similar experience.

did you record the conversation for your next podcast? :banana:

No.

But like most auctions I probably won't win anything or only one or two things out of many I'm interested in. I do not overpay against internal FMV. This is why I lose so many auctions, other do overpay, they do not have my ninja handicapping skills ;) Mike and whoever else shilling is lousy but does not change my personal collecting/hoarding strategy.

The exception to this being several pieces in my Lowry "Best of 2015", I told Bronty late 2014 or early 2015 that I was going to specifically hold my nose and take down a few trophies 'for myself' in 2015, something I haven't done in many years...and I did, paying top dollar in the process.

If I had a dollar for every time someone mistook me for you and called me "Felix"...I'd have enough to buy an Extra Value Meal at Mickey D's. :doh:

If I had a dollar for every time someone mistook me for you and called me "Felix"...I'd have enough to buy an Extra Value Meal at Mickey D's. :doh:

Assuming you mean 'in person', I think it's pretty cool you guys don't get upset re: the whole "they all look the same" rap. It's all the rage these days to get offended (and yell racist at the top of your lungs) at the drop of a hat, but sometimes people are dorks or weren't really paying attention and it's simple confusion. Anyway, I bet all whites (you don't know well) look about the same to non-whites...pretty sure I've seen some brilliant stand-up on that very theme...cannot remember who though...

You must have been wearing a nerd t-shirt that day. Nobody's ever confused me for you I think because I don't wear any gold.:P

Plus, the Toyota I drive is the clincher.

no qualms personally, but if it starts getting oddly high i will bow out.

I might not be playing in the field where this stuff occurs, though.

Seems like it's happening to everything from 3-figure pieces to low 5-figure pieces. My guess is that the higher up in price you go, shillers will be less likely to risk getting stuck with their piece and covering the BP.

From here on out, I'm only buying big ticket items. :idea:

The thing is, it's not just covering your backside for the piece at auction, it's also covering your backside for all the comparable pieces sitting on your site.

Assuming you mean 'in person', I think it's pretty cool you guys don't get upset re: the whole "they all look the same" rap. It's all the rage these days to get offended (and yell racist at the top of your lungs) at the drop of a hat, but sometimes people are dorks or weren't really paying attention and it's simple confusion. Anyway, I bet all whites (you don't know well) look about the same to non-whites...pretty sure I've seen some brilliant stand-up on that very theme...cannot remember who though...

When I was in college, I had an older roommate who gave me an ID to use that had been passed down to him from someone else. When I had no more use for it, I gave it to a younger roommate.

The original owner was Korean, 5'11", 140 lbs.

The next guy was Japanese, 5'7", 130 lbs.

I'm Chinese and was 6'0", 170 lbs.

Guy after me was Vietnamese, 5'9", 150 lbs.

It worked for all of us.

(It finally got taken away from the Vietnamese guy because he had forgotten to memorize the birthday on the ID and when he got asked by a bouncer what it was, instead of answering, he said "it's right here" and pointed to it on the card.)

That's only because all comedians sound alike. lol

:jokealert: