• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to grade and sell a short box of comics?

43 posts in this topic

A while back a bought a short box of comics and separated the more valuable comics from the dollar bins ones I have 147 comics.

So my questions are:

How many do I grade a day without burning myself out?

What would be the best thing to do with the dollar bin comics? trade them? sell them?

Do you give a general grade for the comics in a huge lot or go through them one by one?

With dollar books you don't need to grade each one. Look them over as a group and give a general grade. If they are a few groups of different characters you should separate them and sell them in lots. If they are not in demand at all it will be tough to move them. For inexpensive books like that try selling them in groups on facebook. They seem to like the low quality stuff.

Grade the non-dollar books individually.

Good luck.

A while back a bought a short box of comics and separated the more valuable comics from the dollar bins ones I have 147 comics.

So my questions are:

How many do I grade a day without burning myself out? Grade them all in one day, get them all done so it isn't sitting around for days/weeks/months/years

What would be the best thing to do with the dollar bin comics? trade them? sell them? sell them

Do you give a general grade for the comics in a huge lot or go through them one by one? You will have to go through the more valuable books one by one. In addition to grade count the pages to make sure they are all there.

With dollar books you don't need to grade each one. Look them over as a group and give a general grade. If they are a few groups of different characters you should separate them and sell them in lots. If they are not in demand at all it will be tough to move them. For inexpensive books like that try selling them in groups on facebook. They seem to like the low quality stuff.

Grade the non-dollar books individually.

Good luck.

Thanks I can always count for your advice.

So my questions are:

How many do I grade a day without burning myself out? Grade them all in one day, get them all done so it isn't sitting around for days/weeks/months/years

What would be the best thing to do with the dollar bin comics? trade them? sell them? sell them

Do you give a general grade for the comics in a huge lot or go through them one by one? You will have to go through the more valuable books one by one. In addition to grade count the pages to make sure they are all there.

Won't grading them all in one day burn me out and make me miss things I would have usually caught?

If they are dollar bin books will grading them much even matter?

If you have a VF dollar book (after a 10 second glance). And since its a VF you will put a $1 on it. If you spent 5minutes to look at it closely and found it should be VF- are you really going to change the price and if so to what 0.95?

If they're dollar bin books, what's the point in grading them individually? Just give a general grade for the box and try to sell them as a lot. Sell them instead of trying to trade them. You'll find that very few, if any, are willing to trade for common drek.

If they're old newsprint, take them apart, grab a paper-shear & start cutting them into ~ 2"x4" rectangle.

Sell them as geek stoner rolling papers.

10 papers/$1 x147 comics x however many rectangles you get = PROFIT

Here's your next 80's/90's drek box business venture to whoever wants to do this. But I get 10%.

Won't grading them all in one day burn me out and make me miss things I would have usually caught?

It's a short box, and out of that, how many are actually worth putting a grade on? If you want to make money selling books, get used to it.

So my questions are:

If you're serious about being serious about comics, grading 100 in a day should be nothing. If you worked in comics book store you might grade 200-300 (or more) in a day AND do bagging, boarding, and pricing on those comics. Big books are sexy and bring headlines, but even for the big dealers most of their PROFIT is made on recognizing, grading, and selling the $5-$50 books. When you buy 10 longboxes from some old dude in the countryside, you might easily identify 20 books that cover 80% of the cost of the whole lot, but selling the actual 10 longboxes is where your profit comes from. And that can mean all day grading for days or weeks at a time (or paying someone to do so if you can afford it). Grading accurately and consistently over a long period of time is an acquired skill only gained through experience and perseverance.

SO you could also treat this an a grading consistency exercise. Grade them all in one day, write down all the grades. Come back 2 days later and grade them again, see what you get for grades. See if you can learn anything. Take 5 of your more valuable comics and put them in the PGM subforum here, see how you do compared to the people.