• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC Comics Rebirth

223 posts in this topic

Something that underpins this entire discussion is this: Disney and Warners do not care about their comic book properties AS comic book properties.

This is the root of all of this. Disney and Warners only cares about protecting the rights to their intellectual property. They would publish comics of blank pages if they thought they could get away with it.

Comics publishing doesn't make anyone money, and hasn't for a very long time now.

DC and Marvel are now only caretakers, to make sure everything continues just fine for film, TV, merchandising, theme parks, etc...where the real money is.

So, if one is going to look for innovation in the comics publishing industry, you're going to have to look outside of Marvel and DC.

I agree completely.

When Indies became mainstream and allowed creators to make real money off their creations, the writing was on the wall for Marvel and DC. Creator's don't want to create new characters or new stories for the big 2 anymore. That is why we see characters like Gwen Pool, Spider-Gwen, Winter Soldier, female Thor, Wilson Cap, etc. It is also why most of the recent "events" have underpinnings based on past stories. It isn't an accident that the big summer crossover from Marvel was called Secret Wars.

But, despite this, I believe the publishers themselves do care about the characters. Most of these creators are not corporate stooges and Brubaker's Winter Soldier, despite reaching into the past to resurrect at long dead character, is a decent character that allowed for decent stories. Yes, it wasn't a new character per se, but new enough. I have no doubts that the corporation does put pressure on publishing to maintain the status quo, but I also believe the editors, writers, artists, etc. are doing their best under those circumstances to tell good, engaging stories. All without giving away new characters they can use in their own publishing pursuits, of course. :)

The long time reader has tied the publisher's hand in some cases too. We don't want to see our characters change and grow. The status quo sells. So do events, gimmicks, and variants. Whenever the publishers stumble across an idea that sells, they rush to do more of the same. That has been the case for the comic industry since the beginning.

And it makes absolute sense in this world of corporate owned publishing houses whose characters are summer tentpole movies that the real innovation in the industry is with the independent publishers. There probably isn't a creator alive today who's end goal isn't to create their own title and see it turned into a movie, TV series, etc. The Walking Dead has shown these creators what is possible, so working at the big 2 is just a stepping stone for most.

I'm excited for it - who knows what might come out of it!?

Tired of people crying about how things "used" to be better, and lots of great fun stuff happens regardless. They're still some of the best characters ever created!

HERE WE GO AGAIN!

June:

Rebirth Specials:

AQUAMAN REBIRTH #1

BATMAN REBIRTH #1

THE FLASH REBIRTH #1

GREEN ARROW REBIRTH #1

GREEN LANTERNS REBIRTH #1

SUPERMAN REBIRTH #1

TITANS REBIRTH #1

WONDER WOMAN REBIRTH #1

New #1 Issues (Shipping twice monthly):

AQUAMAN #1

BATMAN #1

THE FLASH #1

GREEN ARROW #1

GREEN LANTERNS #1

SUPERMAN #1

WONDER WOMAN #1

New Issues (Shipping twice monthly):

ACTION COMICS #957

DETECTIVE COMICS #934

July

Rebirth Specials:

BATGIRL & THE BIRDS OF PREY REBIRTH #1

HAL JORDAN & THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS REBIRTH #1

THE HELLBLAZER REBIRTH #1

JUSTICE LEAGUE REBIRTH #1

NIGHTWING REBIRTH #1

RED HOOD & THE OUTLAWS REBIRTH #1

HAL JORDAN & THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS #1

JUSTICE LEAGUE #1

NIGHTWING #1

New #1 Issues (Shipping monthly):

BATGIRL #1

BATGIRL & THE BIRDS OF PREY #1

THE HELLBLAZER #1

RED HOOD & THE OUTLAWS #1

THE SUPER-MAN #1

TITANS #1

Fall

Rebirth Specials:

BATMAN BEYOND REBIRTH #1

BLUE BEETLE REBIRTH #1

CYBORG REBIRTH #1

DEATHSTROKE REBIRTH #1

EARTH 2 REBIRTH #1

SUICIDE SQUAD REBIRTH #1

SUPERGIRL REBIRTH #1

TEEN TITANS REBIRTH #1

TRINITY REBIRTH #1

CYBORG #1

DEATHSTROKE #1

HARLEY QUINN #1

JUSTICE LEAGUE AMERICA #1

SUICIDE SQUAD #1

New #1 Issues (Shipping monthly):

BATMAN BEYOND #1

BLUE BEETLE #1

EARTH 2 #1

GOTHAM ACADEMY: NEXT SEMESTER #1

SUPERGIRL #1

SUPERWOMAN #1

SUPER SONS #1

TEEN TITANS #1

TRINITY #1

That video just leaves me disheartened and confused. If all the reboots in the past were not about the characters and the stories, what the &^*@ were they about? If they are making a confession about losing sight about what the DCU is all about, how is it going to be any different this time? It just not feel any different than the last time, and this video feels like an apology for a mistake they have not made yet.

That video just leaves me disheartened and confused. If all the reboots in the past were not about the characters and the stories, what the &^*@ were they about? If they are making a confession about losing sight about what the DCU is all about, how is it going to be any different this time? It just not feel any different than the last time, and this video feels like an apology for a mistake they have not made yet.

their sales have been tumbling...except for Batman...they had to do something.

If I was Snyder, I would be pissed with the wording. He possibly had the best Batman run ever.

Something that underpins this entire discussion is this: Disney and Warners do not care about their comic book properties AS comic book properties.

This is the root of all of this. Disney and Warners only cares about protecting the rights to their intellectual property. They would publish comics of blank pages if they thought they could get away with it.

Comics publishing doesn't make anyone money, and hasn't for a very long time now.

DC and Marvel are now only caretakers, to make sure everything continues just fine for film, TV, merchandising, theme parks, etc...where the real money is.

So, if one is going to look for innovation in the comics publishing industry, you're going to have to look outside of Marvel and DC.

I agree completely.

When Indies became mainstream and allowed creators to make real money off their creations, the writing was on the wall for Marvel and DC. Creator's don't want to create new characters or new stories for the big 2 anymore. That is why we see characters like Gwen Pool, Spider-Gwen, Winter Soldier, female Thor, Wilson Cap, etc. It is also why most of the recent "events" have underpinnings based on past stories. It isn't an accident that the big summer crossover from Marvel was called Secret Wars.

But, despite this, I believe the publishers themselves do care about the characters. Most of these creators are not corporate stooges and Brubaker's Winter Soldier, despite reaching into the past to resurrect at long dead character, is a decent character that allowed for decent stories. Yes, it wasn't a new character per se, but new enough. I have no doubts that the corporation does put pressure on publishing to maintain the status quo, but I also believe the editors, writers, artists, etc. are doing their best under those circumstances to tell good, engaging stories. All without giving away new characters they can use in their own publishing pursuits, of course. :)

The long time reader has tied the publisher's hand in some cases too. We don't want to see our characters change and grow. The status quo sells. So do events, gimmicks, and variants. Whenever the publishers stumble across an idea that sells, they rush to do more of the same. That has been the case for the comic industry since the beginning.

And it makes absolute sense in this world of corporate owned publishing houses whose characters are summer tentpole movies that the real innovation in the industry is with the independent publishers. There probably isn't a creator alive today who's end goal isn't to create their own title and see it turned into a movie, TV series, etc. The Walking Dead has shown these creators what is possible, so working at the big 2 is just a stepping stone for most.

+1

Writers and artists who go to work for Marvel and DC usually do so with a history of interest (and love) of the characters, especially if they grew up here in the U.S.

The problem is, as you point out, they can't make changes or really do anything new either because they don't want to lose out on an idea they could benefit from in a creator owned project, or just because editorial won't allow it because it doesn't fit into the overall vision of 'the company'.

These characters are merchandise, worth X amount, not just in comics, but movies, toys, clothes, etc. So regardless of anyone's love or feelings or whatever for those characters, it is corporate that will set the parameters on what can and can not be done.

The safe route is to repeat what has come before, though I agree, in many instances we get some quality work from creators doing their best within the framework they have to work in.