• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your collecting goals for 2016?

101 posts in this topic

Lets have a fun thread... What artwork are you actively looking to add to your collection this year?

Only was able to achieve one OA goal last year so I will expand a bit.

1. Neal Adams Spectre or Deadman

2. Dave Cockrum Futurians

3. Dan Smith - Illustration

4. Joe Kubert - Ev

5. D i c k W. Sprang - Batman page

6. Curt Swan - Superman page

7. Carmine Infantino - 60s Flash or Adam Strange page

8. Ramona Fradon Metamorpho or Metal Men

Almost the end of the year. Didn't do that great with the items on my list, only pickup two from it.

Did get a sweet Flash by Infantino, the bonus has Flash's costume coming out of his ring.

Other piece I picked up was my first Joe Kubert, not featuring E nemy Ace, Hawkman or Sgt Rock, instead it has the Viking Prince.

Thrilled with both of my acquisitions.

My collecting goal for 2016 is nothing.

I wanna see if I can get through the year without buying a single piece of art. Been a long time since I've managed that trick.

I totally blew it. Made it into about April/May and bought one piece of art that was non-comic, then in August it all went sideways.

I suck.

Next year!!!!

Have other non-art objectives this year that will be a significant suck on resources. 2016 will be a weak year for me and art. Nonetheless, any of these would be excellent...

1. One really sweet Karel Thole cover painting (probably horror, but maybe sci-fi). Yes - ONE, this time I do not need to go deep or build out another hoard. This goal is carried over from 2015.

2. cannot think of anything else to break out...reserve the right to amend later today ;)

Got a Karel Thole, but not smallish and likely not a cover or even published (still researching). It is a horror piece. I'll continue to carry this goal and at present do not have any others of significance (prelude to 2017 goals thread.)

Just to add more than I subtract.

After 2 rough years, I think i'm back into buy mode.

Well, i'm around net $0 in this year, but have sold off some stuff that's allowed me to really try to keep a focused collection. I think I may have added 10 new pages total, if that?

I used to just kind of buy every page I saw that looked "shiney and new" and did a little bit of that towards the end of last year / beginning of this year when I finally had a little extra money and kind of regret it now.

for the 2nd half of the year, i'm guessing it'll be fairly quiet, but i'll keep looking for Invisibles pages that would be upgrades in my collection, and nice RPG examples.

Other than that? Not too much.

Well, stuck to my goal.

2 pages in the 2nd half of the year. A nice Ramon Perez Rifts page (that's pretty large, around 20x12) and 1 invisibles page (not sure if i stuck to my rule of upgrades per-se on this one, but I dug this scene in the books, but this isn't the "money shot" of the scene).

I usually don't actively pursue a specific artist, but I have a rather larger list from which I pick, depending on what's available (and what my wallet allows).

So I'd say my goal for 2016 would be to get one or two pieces among the following:

-Sean Gordon Murphy page

-Tim Sale page

-Stan Sakai, Usagi Yojimbo cover

-Don Rosa page

-Mike Mignola, Hellboy page

-Olivier Coipel page

If I manage to get at least one of these, I'll say 2016 was a good year.

0/6.

I didn't buy a single page in 2016. I can only hope to do better in 2017. I can hardly do worse. :insane:

1. a Krazy Kat page

2. a Watchmen page

3. a Bernie Wrightson page (or even better a Frankenstein plate)

4. a Jim Starlin page from The Death of Captain Marvel

5. a Virgin Finlay illustration

I didn't plan to complete this list in one year... but thanks to this board I found one of these items (the Krazy Kat page) and I'm REALLY happy with it! If I could find one item every year, I would be a lucky man, but it looks like some of them are really out of my reach now.

1. Sal Buscema art is always at the top of my radar. To be more specific, priority 1 = page(s) from issue 227, then pages from 194-240, then any other Hulk pages, then commission(s)

> CHECK. A page from 227, another single page, and my biggest target - a splash. More than exceeded my hopes.

2. Add art from my favorite artists. Preferably pages but commissions as well. Keown, McGuinness, McFarlane, Pelletier, Deodato, Trimpe, Pagulayan, Weeks, Art Adams, Sale, etc.

> CHECK. Added new art from Trimpe, Sal, McGuinness, Pelletier, Pagulayan - thrilled with all of them

3. Get a nice page or two of silver age Hulk art. Dream/grail would be a Kirby. Would love to have something eventually from original 6 issues and some TTA pages. I don’t have any large art so an example of this is something I would like to acquire at some point.

> Nope. I think a twice-up Hulk page will be high on the list for next year

4. Add some pieces to my Bob Larkin Hulk poster homage series.

> CHECK. Pelletier, Pagulayan, and McKone added

More general goals include:

Stay focused on the above list – avoid straying too much off the list (a little is OK)

> CHECK. Being more targeted has really helped me on impulse buys as I am more often thinking about what I might be giving up by buying off-target pieces.

Don’t go crazy on spending. Wait for the big fish and if it doesn’t come, roll into 2017. Be ready when opportunity presents itself (which it always does).

> Yes and no. Caught some big fish but that was costly. Happy to be ready when opportunity arose (and kind of hoping it doesn't as much next year).

Attend Heroes con – favorite show and plenty of art trading hands there usually (I have done very well a couple times).

> CHECK. Heroes/Motor City/Baltimore were all GREAT shows. Nice pickups at each show (Alan Davis and a lot of Pelletier).

Continue networking. I have focused a lot on commissions over the years and have been spending more on original pages and I am learning that networking is a great way to open doors.

> CHECK. Made some new friends in 2017

Do your homework on auction sites – pretty sure this is obvious per the recent shilling fiasco. Become more educated.

> I don't know about this one. I don't feel more educated but haven't bought from auctions this year. Not missing the idea of being possibly shilled up.

Do a better job sanning and posting art on CAF. I am terrible at this.

> FAIL. This will roll over into 2017

updates above.

My OA collecting goals for 2016:

1. Remain highly disciplined and laser-focused.

2. One dollar-in for every dollar-out.

They scoffed and said it couldn't be done, but I did it! What, you ask? I managed to spend NOTHING on art in 2016!! :banana:

Net of sales, that is - yes, I am poised to finish 2016 with a small net inflow of cash from collecting (first time that's ever happened), barring any unexpected purchases in the last 2 1/2 weeks of the year. To be honest, I didn't think I'd be able to hit the "one dollar-in for every dollar-out" target myself, especially since I still managed to spend a very healthy amount on new acquisitions this year. But, between doing a pretty credible job of maintaining my collecting focus, not getting distracted by all the shiny new objects showing up on the auction block, and a strong sales push the past few months, I just managed to break into the black for the year last week.

I suspect next year's goals will be similar to this year's: remain laser-focused and continue to fund new purchases with sales (and, in doing so, better curate my collection by replacing things that I have either upgraded or outgrown with things that are more in tune with where I am now). 2c

They scoffed and said it couldn't be done, but I did it! What, you ask? I managed to spend NOTHING on art in 2016!! :banana:

Net of sales, that is - yes, I am poised to finish 2016 with a small net inflow of cash from collecting (first time that's ever happened), barring any unexpected purchases in the last 2 1/2 weeks of the year. To be honest, I didn't think I'd be able to hit the "one dollar-in for every dollar-out" target myself, especially since I still managed to spend a very healthy amount on new acquisitions this year. But, between doing a pretty credible job of maintaining my collecting focus, not getting distracted by all the shiny new objects showing up on the auction block, and a strong sales push the past few months, I just managed to break into the black for the year last week.

I suspect next year's goals will be similar to this year's: remain laser-focused and continue to fund new purchases with sales (and, in doing so, better curate my collection by replacing things that I have either upgraded or outgrown with things that are more in tune with where I am now). 2c

Is your $1 in and $1 out gross or net of selling costs? That's quite the accomplishment. I tell my wife I do that but she knows it's not really true :)

Malvin

Do you sell after you bought something new (selling enough to pay the purchase). or sell first and then use that to limit your spending?

Is your $1 in and $1 out gross or net of selling costs? That's quite the accomplishment. I tell my wife I do that but she knows it's not really true :)

Net of commissions, selling costs, and an allowance for projected capital gains taxes. :headbang:

Do you sell after you bought something new (selling enough to pay the purchase). or sell first and then use that to limit your spending?

I'm happy to buy first and sell later!

Net of commissions, selling costs, and an allowance for projected capital gains taxes. :headbang:

You are strong, I should not tell my wife of your existence!

Then again, I should also stop buying pages I don't love. I sometimes (often?) buy pages because I think it's cheap. And in a weird way, knowing that I bought it cheap makes me like it more.

Malvin

..., I just managed to break into the black for the year last week.

Gene was negative, it looks like for most of the year until "last week". What I'm wondering is if there is a net capital gain (greaters gains than losses) and whether that tax consequence is netted out too or given a pass? As most of us know, when you trade by selling then buying for approximately the same money, you often still "lose" by triggering a capital gain!

Since the Burkey/HA kerfuffle, I will spend more time logging auction and sale results on one or two artists/books to try and get a true market value of some art. If I am going to move out of four figures and hit a five figure piece I will research it first.

Other than that my goals are probably the same as last year.

-Alex Raymond lush brush piece I have come close and more seem to be coming to market so maybe this will be my year.

-Bill Everett Dr. Strange

-more BWS, maybe even something Conan

I'll continue to keep my eye out for old favorites like Showcase Presents pages by Matt Smith of The Shade or Tony Harris Flight of Bones as well.

I purchased none of these this year! And my logging of sales was near non-existent! :sumo: Gonna buy a Mignola perhaps this week, so that is something I guess! :wishluck:

1. More bronze Marvel hero splashs by Sal Buscema or Keith Pollard

2. Star Wars Marvel Splash or cover, or elite fight page

3. New Mutants Title Splash pre issue 52 or cover

4. Jim Lee Uncanny X-men Page with wolverine claws out

5. Mike Kaluta Shadow page with Shadow in Action

Non Art Goals

1. Alex McCrindle AUto

2. Get George Lucas, John WIllians, and James Earl Jones on my Ingot Cast poster

3. Piece of Storm Trooper armor with provenance from an ILM source.

Art Results 2016

1. Did not land a splash by buscema of pollard worth keeping

2. Landed one Infantino page worth keeping (yay)

3. Got the page with the back cover illo of the New Mutants IDW Sienkiewicz book, so ill count that.

4. No Jim Lee wolvie claws x-men

5. No Kaluta at all, and the cover up now isnt doing it for me.

Non Art Results 2016

1. Nothing Alex McCrindle popped at all online save for a workers union brochure which still went for nuts money.

2. Did not add any of those 3 to my cast poster.

3. DID LAND ARMOR...hand armor from a Return of the Jedi Trooper, direct from an ILM prop maker...so yay....

I didn't put this on the list because i had given up finding it, but the best 2 page Azrael image from the entire Quesada Book feel into my lap at the last Secaucus show, and for less then it sold for in auction 3 years earlier. That was my score of the year.