• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your collecting goals for 2016?

101 posts in this topic

Lets have a fun thread... What artwork are you actively looking to add to your collection this year?

Only was able to achieve one OA goal last year so I will expand a bit.

1. Neal Adams Spectre or Deadman

2. Dave Cockrum Futurians

3. Dan Smith - Illustration

4. Joe Kubert - Enemy Ace, Hawkman or Sgt Rock

5. D i c k W. Sprang - Batman page

6. Curt Swan - Superman page

7. Carmine Infantino - 60s Flash or Adam Strange page

8. Ramona Fradon Metamorpho or Metal Men

My collecting goals for 2016

1. Silver Age Amazing Spider-Man page, preferably a Romita page

2. Finding a very gentle way to reveal to my wife what I paid for #1, above. :)

If you can't accomplish #2 then get a nice comfy couch for a few months,

1. a Krazy Kat page

2. a Watchmen page

3. a Bernie Wrightson page (or even better a Frankenstein plate)

4. a Jim Starlin page from The Death of Captain Marvel

5. a Virgin Finlay illustration

smsc057.gif

Have other non-art objectives this year that will be a significant suck on resources. 2016 will be a weak year for me and art. Nonetheless, any of these would be excellent...

1. One really sweet Karel Thole cover painting (probably horror, but maybe sci-fi). Yes - ONE, this time I do not need to go deep or build out another hoard. This goal is carried over from 2015.

2. cannot think of anything else to break out...reserve the right to amend later today ;)

1. More bronze Marvel hero splashs by Sal Buscema or Keith Pollard

2. Star Wars Marvel Splash or cover, or elite fight page

3. New Mutants Title Splash pre issue 52 or cover

4. Jim Lee Uncanny X-men Page with wolverine claws out

5. Mike Kaluta Shadow page with Shadow in Action

Non Art Goals

1. Alex McCrindle AUto

2. Get George Lucas, John WIllians, and James Earl Jones on my Ingot Cast poster

3. Piece of Storm Trooper armor with provenance from an ILM source.

1) Miller Spider-Man page.

2) Quesada - Ash page. That search will continue for a long time I think.

3) Continuing to complete my Image founder page(s) from their first works there when it started.

4) Adding more Matt Wagner pages to my collection.

5) Meeting Dale Keown and getting his to do a sketch and sign a piece of work I have from him.

Anyone know Dale Keown's convention schedule this year?????

in 2016 I'll be:

1) looking for anything from my PERMANENT WANT LIST

2) Adding a piece or two from Ben Tolman (not comic art, but worth a look). Already have one piece confirmed and looking for another.

3) Continuing to get commissions from Gary Martin for a comic adaptation project I am working on.

My OA collecting goals for 2016:

1. Remain highly disciplined and laser-focused. Only buy specific pieces (a number of which are listed on my public CAF Want List) that hold the absolute greatest nostalgia for me.

2. One dollar-in for every dollar-out. Laying out money, even a substantial amount, up front is OK, but that money must be recouped through sales within a reasonable timeframe. Before you laugh, jbud73, I've already been successfully offsetting all new purchases with sales for the past 10 months. :makepoint:

My OA collecting goals for 2016:

1. Remain highly disciplined and laser-focused. Only buy specific pieces (a number of which are listed on my public CAF Want List) that hold the absolute greatest nostalgia for me.

2. One dollar-in for every dollar-out. Laying out money, even a substantial amount, up front is OK, but that money must be recouped through sales within a reasonable timeframe. Before you laugh, jbud73, I've already been successfully offsetting all new purchases with sales for the past 10 months. :makepoint:

I admire that you are able to do that, especially #2. I tell my wife that whenever I buy art I am using "art money" so there is no net spend, but of course she knows that is not really the case.

In regards to 1, I am also week, I can't resist a perceived bargain and have been adding ~100 pages a year to my collection the last few years.

Malvin

I usually don't actively pursue a specific artist, but I have a rather larger list from which I pick, depending on what's available (and what my wallet allows).

So I'd say my goal for 2016 would be to get one or two pieces among the following:

-Sean Gordon Murphy page

-Tim Sale page

-Stan Sakai, Usagi Yojimbo cover

-Don Rosa page

-Mike Mignola, Hellboy page

-Olivier Coipel page

If I manage to get at least one of these, I'll say 2016 was a good year.