• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your collecting goals for 2016?

101 posts in this topic

I want to get one budget-smashing killer example from a favorite series and then my usual smattering of brand new modern OA pieces that most of you disdain.

I have tried being very specific with goals in the past and ended up not coming across my target(s) so I have expanded my yearly goals into categories. I have 4 categories for 2016 and I would love to add something for each one. This doesn’t mean that I can’t have a good year if I don’t hit them all but it is nice to keep what I really want in mind as opportunities arise. Here is what I am looking for this year in order of priority. I already have a couple pieces in motion for category 2 and 4 so I plan to start sleuthing on category 1 and 3 right away. If you have any nice Hulk art, especially per the below, please feel free to let me know – would love to talk possible deals or even just share an appreciation of any great art you want to chat about.

1. Sal Buscema art is always at the top of my radar. To be more specific, priority 1 = page(s) from issue 227, then pages from 194-240, then any other Hulk pages, then commission(s)

2. Add art from my favorite artists. Preferably pages but commissions as well. Keown, McGuinness, McFarlane, Pelletier, Deodato, Trimpe, Pagulayan, Weeks, Art Adams, Sale, etc.

3. Get a nice page or two of silver age Hulk art. Dream/grail would be a Kirby. Would love to have something eventually from original 6 issues and some TTA pages. I don’t have any large art so an example of this is something I would like to acquire at some point.

4. Add some pieces to my Bob Larkin Hulk poster homage series.

More general goals include:

Stay focused on the above list – avoid straying too much off the list (a little is OK)

Don’t go crazy on spending. Wait for the big fish and if it doesn’t come, roll into 2017. Be ready when opportunity presents itself (which it always does).

Attend Heroes con – favorite show and plenty of art trading hands there usually (I have done very well a couple times).

Continue networking. I have focused a lot on commissions over the years and have been spending more on original pages and I am learning that networking is a great way to open doors.

Do your homework on auction sites – pretty sure this is obvious per the recent shilling fiasco. Become more educated.

Do a better job sanning and posting art on CAF. I am terrible at this.

Since the Burkey/HA kerfuffle, I will spend more time logging auction and sale results on one or two artists/books to try and get a true market value of some art. If I am going to move out of four figures and hit a five figure piece I will research it first.

Other than that my goals are probably the same as last year.

-Alex Raymond lush brush piece I have come close and more seem to be coming to market so maybe this will be my year.

-Bill Everett Dr. Strange

-more BWS, maybe even something Conan

I'll continue to keep my eye out for old favorites like Showcase Presents pages by Matt Smith of The Shade or Tony Harris Flight of Bones as well.

I just started really collecting last year, so here's hoping that I can at least find out where my dream pages are at this year. Here are my goals for this year

Major Priority: any help will be greatly appreciative

Joe Bennett - Incredible Hulk v.3 #32 pg 3,5, (especially 7,8,and 9)

Frank Cho's King Size Hulk #1 cover or any of his She-Hulk drawings

Will Conrad - She-Hulk v2. #7 pg, 7,8,12,17, 21

any of Paul Pelletier - She-Hulk v.1

just about anything on Mary from Tony Moore's Battle Pope, especially issues 11 pages 16,17, (19 found), 22, and any other appearance

A Arthur Adams commission - ( I was close last year at a con, made it to his list but he ran out of time to start on mine)

These would be nice too -

Just about anything with She-Hulk

Fantastic Four v3 22 - 06,12

Ariel Olivetti - The Last Avengers Story pg 24

Tom Derenick - WorldWatch

Savage Dragon art

I just started really collecting last year, so here's hoping that I can at least find out where my dream pages are at this year. Here are my goals for this year

Major Priority: any help will be greatly appreciative

Joe Bennett - Incredible Hulk v.3 #32 pg 3,5, (especially 7,8,and 9)

Frank Cho's King Size Hulk #1 cover or any of his She-Hulk drawings

Will Conrad - She-Hulk v2. #7 pg, 7,8,12,17, 21

any of Paul Pelletier - She-Hulk v.1

just about anything on Mary from Tony Moore's Battle Pope, especially issues 11 pages 16,17, (19 found), 22, and any other appearance

A Arthur Adams commission - ( I was close last year at a con, made it to his list but he ran out of time to start on mine)

These would be nice too -

Just about anything with She-Hulk

Fantastic Four v3 22 - 06,12

Ariel Olivetti - The Last Avengers Story pg 24

Tom Derenick - WorldWatch

Savage Dragon art

Good luck! There are a few covers left on Moy's site:

http://www.albertmoy.com/ArtistGalleryRoom.asp?ArtistId=415&Ti=Erik_Larsen

A page from 100 Bullets #3. That's it. I've yet to find one, the artist can't help, and his rep (Big Wow) doesn't have a contact link unless you're purchasing existing art from 'em. If you have a page to sell, let's talk.

That's pretty specific. It's been awhile since I read the series. What u[ with that issue?

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a page. I've got my Risso fix, but I still keep an eye out for another.

#3 was given to me as a fun read -- you'd think #1, right? -- and the addiction has only grown. Other issues have grabbed me, too, but you never forget your first.

Thanks for keeping an eye out.

A page from 100 Bullets #3. That's it. I've yet to find one, the artist can't help, and his rep (Big Wow) doesn't have a contact link unless you're purchasing existing art from 'em. If you have a page to sell, let's talk.

That's pretty specific. It's been awhile since I read the series. What u[ with that issue?

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a page. I've got my Risso fix, but I still keep an eye out for another.

#3 was given to me as a fun read -- you'd think #1, right? -- and the addiction has only grown. Other issues have grabbed me, too, but you never forget your first.

Thanks for keeping an eye out.

I'm a big Risso fan and have had quite a few pages over the years, although it's been years since I bought one. The earliest page I had was from Issue #4 (first app Meghan), but I sold it a few years back.

When did Enrico (Red Sector) stop repping him? I don't even see Red Sector website anymore. What's the story there?

After I win the lottery, my goals are simple. \:\)

They are:

• A page by Englehart/Rogers/Austin from their Detective run
  • A page by Kirby from JiM/Thor or New Gods (may have to stick with my IDW book for that. \:\)
  • A Batman page or specialty drawing by Sprang
  • The cover to "The Official Legion of Super-Heroes Index" #1" from ICG
  • The cover or splash from JLA 29 (1st series, my first comic)

Same list as last year except I've refined by Swan Legion piece since I managed to get the 2nd page of a flashback to Star Boy's trial; I had the first already. So, that itch is well scratched.

They all are pretty hopeless/expensive. :)

When did Enrico (Red Sector) stop repping him? I don't even see Red Sector website anymore. What's the story there?

Enrico is taking a (temporary?) break from repping and Risso is now with Steve Morger (subject of future podcast!) of Big Wow Art:

http://bigwowart.com/ArtistGalleryRoom.asp?ArtistId=799&details=1

Steve's a great guy, he'll take care of you.

Enrico is taking a (temporary?) break from repping and Risso is now with Steve Morger (subject of future podcast!) of Big Wow Art:

http://bigwowart.com/ArtistGalleryRoom.asp?ArtistId=799&details=1

Steve's a great guy, he'll take care of you.

Yeah, I checked out the Big Wow link earlier (saw a few things that caught my eye). That's what made me ask about Enrico.

Like I said, it's been ages since I bought any Risso stuff, but I spent quite a bit of $$$ with Enrico back in the day. He was always easy and pleasant to deal with.

Since coming back into the hobby, 2015 was a year of marked decreases in purchasing for me. For 2016, I don't see the trend changing. Goal is even fewer, but better books than 2015. Maybe a little more original art as well.

I haven't talked to Enrico in at least a decade, but he was always good people to me. Both selling art he was repping, and hooking me up with artists, and other cool folks in Italy. A true gentleman, and great all around guy. Always made me laugh a lot too.

Hopefully things are going good with him. I should reach out and catch up with him.

Does he still post on the L?

Enrico rarely posts on the comicart-l or other forums. In the past few years, he has gotten married, had a son and became a co-owner of a restaurant in Milano known as Rock Burger. You can follow it on Facebook. Enrico stopped doing art rep stuff and asked me to help out Eduardo which I have done ever since. Enrico and I have been very close friends for a very long time and, happily, I was best man at his wedding. So that's the back story of how Eduardo went from Red Sector to Big Wow. Best, Steve.

P.S. I have never had any pages from issue 3 of 100 Bullets.

Enrico rarely posts on the comicart-l or other forums. In the past few years, he has gotten married, had a son and became a co-owner of a restaurant in Milano known as Rock Burger. You can follow it on Facebook. Enrico stopped doing art rep stuff and asked me to help out Eduardo which I have done ever since. Enrico and I have been very close friends for a very long time and, happily, I was best man at his wedding. So that's the back story of how Eduardo went from Red Sector to Big Wow. Best, Steve.

P.S. I have never had any pages from issue 3 of 100 Bullets.

Thanks for that update, Steve. Glad he is doing well.

And Eduardo is a great guy and artist. Met him once and he was just the nicest guy.

My goals are simple: MORE

1. More PCH original art -if it becomes available

2. More DC war twice up art-if it becomes available

3. More Man-thing 5 pages-if they.....you get the picture

4. More DC horror original art

5. A nice Star Wars cover pre-#39-although I highly doubt there will be one available

Luckily I'm at the point where art on my list rarely comes up for sale, or else I'd go broke!