• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your collecting goals for 2016?

101 posts in this topic

Lets have a fun thread... What artwork are you actively looking to add to your collection this year?

Only was able to achieve one OA goal last year so I will expand a bit.

1. Neal Adams Spectre or Deadman

2. Dave Cockrum Futurians

3. Dan Smith - Illustration

4. Joe Kubert - Enemy Ace, Hawkman or Sgt Rock

5. D i c k W. Sprang - Batman page

6. Curt Swan - Superman page

7. Carmine Infantino - 60s Flash or Adam Strange page

8. Ramona Fradon Metamorpho or Metal Men

More than halfway thru the year , I just acquired a Flash #142 page by Infantino. One down 6 to go.

My collecting goal for 2016 is nothing.

I wanna see if I can get through the year without buying a single piece of art. Been a long time since I've managed that trick.

I blew it a couple months back... wasn't comic art but ...bah!

Long overdue on my OA list, that I would like to get one or more by the end of the year:

1- A pre-Unity Valint page preferably by David

2- A title splash page with lettered or pasted credits

3- A Superman /Batman page (Van Sciver, Davis, Jae Lee)

4 - Almost any page by Jim Lee, Quesada, McFarlane, Liefeld or Keown

5- Another convention sketch or 2 in my sketchbook

my goal is one large size Marvel artwork, preferably a splash :cloud9:

That's a solid goal :golfclap: .. I myself would love to own a 2up splash page one day..

I own one but after getting it and seeing how nice it is has given me the "twice up bug"

vhFNfmPk_0603151502411.jpg

That's a solid goal :golfclap: .. I myself would love to own a 2up splash page one day..

I own one but after getting it and seeing how nice it is has given me the "twice up bug"

Oh yah.. That's the good stuff.. Hard to capture all that goodness with a small scan. SA 2up splashes in hand are usually breath taking. Congrats!

Oh yah.. That's the good stuff.. Hard to capture all that goodness with a small scan. SA 2up splashes in hand are usually breath taking.

Congrats!

I do love this splash. :cloud9:

in 2016 I'll be:

1) looking for anything from my PERMANENT WANT LIST

2) Adding a piece or two from Ben Tolman (not comic art, but worth a look). Already have one piece confirmed and looking for another.

3) Continuing to get commissions from Gary Martin for a comic adaptation project I am working on.

* a page from my PERMANENT WATCH LIST - check

* A Ben Tolman piece - check

* Several Gary Martin commissions - check

2016 is half over and all goals achieved. :banana:

Now lets see what else is out there. :devil:

My OA collecting goals for 2016:

1. Remain highly disciplined and laser-focused.

2. One dollar-in for every dollar-out.

My collecting habits have changed dramatically this year. My sweet spot used to be the $10-$50K price range, but only 1 of the 18 pieces I've bought this year falls into that category. 16 of the 18 pieces are sub-$5K pieces, including a number of sub-$1K pieces. And, the last piece is an uber-Grail with a capital G that was...budget-busting. :eek:

So, basically, nowadays I'm scratching the collecting itch by targeting lower-end nostalgic pieces (and a few modern pieces as well), while waiting patiently for the few things remaining on my want list that I'm really willing to pay up for. Due to the size of the Grail piece, I haven't been able to keep to the dollar-in, dollar-out guideline thus far YTD, but I'm hoping to be a net seller between now and year-end (might not happen this auction cycle, though...so much nice stuff!!) to close that deficit a bit.

My collecting has evolved to become pretty focused, with a constant eye out for Incredible Hulk #227, Ross Andru Amazing Spider-Man pages that resonate with the kid in me, and Garcia-Lopez (specifically Hex pages). that said, if I stumble across a page that screams out to me from my past, I will consider making a play for it.

Due to having serious doubts about the practices of the auction sites and how auctions for some of the art I collect have played out, I'll likely avoid those sites completely.

Scratching a lot of itches this year, including those at the top of the list. 2016 has been a banner year so far. Time to pump the brakes a bit ... and even doing so the year has been great. Will wait until the year closes to reset for 2017.

My OA collecting goals for 2016:

1. Remain highly disciplined and laser-focused.

2. One dollar-in for every dollar-out.

My collecting habits have changed dramatically this year. My sweet spot used to be the $10-$50K price range, but only 1 of the 18 pieces I've bought this year falls into that category. 16 of the 18 pieces are sub-$5K pieces, including a number of sub-$1K pieces. And, the last piece is an uber-Grail with a capital G that was...budget-busting. :eek:

So, basically, nowadays I'm scratching the collecting itch by targeting lower-end nostalgic pieces (and a few modern pieces as well), while waiting patiently for the few things remaining on my want list that I'm really willing to pay up for. Due to the size of the Grail piece, I haven't been able to keep to the dollar-in, dollar-out guideline thus far YTD, but I'm hoping to be a net seller between now and year-end (might not happen this auction cycle, though...so much nice stuff!!) to close that deficit a bit.

Stay out of my price tier sandbox! If I know the stuff you like, we'll probably be going after the same pieces.

As for my collecting goals I got really stretched out this year, but was able to check two things off the list that I had been wanting.

-New Teen Titans page by George Perez

- A nice Daredevil page (If I was gonna get another one I would like to focus on a Colan piece)

I see something I really like, and should be able to afford which would allow for a third check off the list. :wishluck:

I'd love to sell off excess pieces for which I have solid examples of mastery by varied artists to then pursue other pieces I don't have representation of in my collection.

Also, my portfolio is maxed out in space, so I'm thinking of that "dollar in / dollar out" model of single piece in, single piece or more, out, to keep the collection contained. It's easier in theory than execution 'tho.

My wish list continues to include:

Walt Simonson - Thor

Marshall Rogers - Detective

Neal Adams - Marvel 70's work and/or GL/GA

John Byrne - Uncanny X-Men, as well as 80's Marvel work

Jim Steranko - X-Men

Todd McFarlane - Amazing Spider-Man

Keith Giffen - Great Darkness Saga from LOSH

Frank Miller - 80's Marvel work

Barry Windsor Smith - Conan or 70's Marvel work

Steve Ditko - Amazing Spider-Man

Most of what I want would probably involve a trade or winning some sort of lottery for an economic windfall 'tho.