• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's up with X-Force #1?
1 1

255 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

The 2nd print was the gold edition (I can't believe I even ordered it back then):

Ha, I understand that. But, per Chuck's writeup, they printed the original run. About 70% of his had the line down the front cover. Somehow he came up with 20-30% of the entire run had this defect.

So, they went back and printed more of the originals. At least that's how I'm reading it.

Edit: I guess I just assumed that. It doesn't state that in his article.

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Ha, I understand that. But, per Chuck's writeup, they printed the original run. About 70% of his had the line down the front cover. Somehow he came up with 20-30% of the entire run had this defect.

So, they went back and printed more of the originals. At least that's how I'm reading it.

Edit: I guess I just assumed that. It doesn't state that in his article.

I wouldn't be surprised if the negative upc was a better set or maybe the newsstand set.. I mean what are the odds that ALL variations of this book had an equal defect rate at the printing stage. But I doubt they were printed after the fact

27 minutes ago, I like pie said:

The black and white Cap UPC are from the same printing. Just printing error though some believe it may have been done on purpose to promote more collectibility.

Well how ironic is it that the printing error defect is the one that promoted collectibility some 27 years later lol

44 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Well how ironic is it that the printing error defect is the one that promoted collectibility some 27 years later lol

It's my opinion they are less white Cap Upcs than black, just from the sheer amount of books I've gone through. However, I have seen far less newsstand copies.

So I have been reading this thread but didn't see the answer to my question. If i want to submit my copies to CGC, should I send them with the Polybag or should I remove the Polybag and card and then submit it? Thanks in advance.

48 minutes ago, pewterss said:

So I have been reading this thread but didn't see the answer to my question. If i want to submit my copies to CGC, should I send them with the Polybag or should I remove the Polybag and card and then submit it? Thanks in advance.

Remove them if you want to keep the polybag and cards then bag and board them, sandwich between cardboard, vacuum seal for freshness, and ship away my friend!

Ok sounds like if I were to ship to them with the polybag and card I wouldn't get the cards back.  After reading this thread I found one copy with the famous indent but the other looks perfect. No creasing or weird indents.  Crossing fingers :) I have one copy that has a few cards in there too. A cable and a Gideon.  Might have been an error or something.

And Thanks Sensi Ryan 

12 minutes ago, Sensei Ryan said:

there were 44 Universal 9.8's on the census back in February of this year - now there are 103 - if that's the case, it's more than doubled in 6 months!!!

There are long boxes full of first print X-force #1's. I see bagged copies locally marked up to an aggressive $5 or unbagged, opened copies for $1 without the card.

On 4/1/2018 at 8:59 PM, Aweandlorder said:

While reviewing some of Chuck's newsletters from back in the day for my GUTS & GLORY Journal I came across an explanation from Chuck to what actually happened with X-Force #1

IMG_0004.thumb.jpg.7db936ff28218de7d208a7e5219f83f2.jpg

This was a HUGE deal back then, but it appears that the majority of collectors back than could care less, especially since the grading system has not yet been implemented obviously. Could you imagine the uproar if this were to happen today???

Also, interesting that a month later X-Force #1 2nd print was solicited

IMG_0005.jpg.08f53d0ed9f1e8f6be8e395102096086.jpg

Surprised that no one on eBay hasn't tried marketing these as part of the "N.I.C.E. Pedigree" collection. :idea:

1 hour ago, jokiing said:

I just ran across the 20 copies that I bought fresh, back in the day..... all have negative CA and only 5 have the score line... just on the front.

negative CA? What, no cover art? lol

It's pretty interesting to read through this thread from the start and see all the comments from the beginning saying the market would be flooded with 9.8s in a year and when the movie becomes official, but then seeing only 80 9.8s graded in the last 14 months.