• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's up with X-Force #1?
1 1

255 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, 500Club said:

With that screening experience, what are the common defects limiting grade?  Or is it mostly driven by polybag seam issues?

The vertical line is the most common. Besides that, the spine takes a beating in that polybag. If the corners are nice and square (rare), there are usually multiple color breaks bringing down grade.

4 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

If the seam isn't causing it (which would seem odd to me if it were), then perhaps it is a printing defect.

Sounds like it isn't the seam.

Once upon a time, X-Men 293 (or 294?) was a real bugger for slab run collectors to find in 9.8 due to seam impressions from the polybag.  Pressing ended up as a work around.

So my 3 year old let me have a little time to myself this morning and I set free 10 of these from their polybag tomb.  The crease is present but I could see a press taking care of that, some have spine wear that would prevent them from being 9.8s but 3 copies look pretty nice.  No intention of sending these in to get graded but if I get enough other books on the pile I may send them in.

The Standard Catalog orders for X-Force #1...indeed, for all "event" books like it from this era...cannot have the "average 22% of Marvels" rule applied to them. 

That's an average, and the biggest distributors at the time...in this case, Capital and Diamond...ordered the lion's share of the print run. Smaller distributors tended to service much, much more diverse clientele, and they were not the ones ordering 100 copies of X-Force #1 for individual customers. These event books were decidedly skewed towards the big distributors. 

Had they printed more than 3 million copies...again...it would have been headline news, like the ~8 million print run of X-Men #1 was two months later.

And, again...if they'd printed 3.5-4 million...keeping in mind that Superman #75, a comic book cultural phenomenon never before matched, and never again, had a print run of 4 million copies....they wouldn't have had the need to do a second printing....which they did NOT do with X-Men #1 (and no, the Deluxe version doesn't count. That was just slick marketing.)

"But, they did FOUR printings of Superman #75, and you say it had a print run of 4 million!" Correct. Superman #75 was like nothing ever in comics, before or since. It belongs in its own special category. I argued against this over a decade ago, but CKB was right: they could have printed TEN million copies, and they still would have sold them all. 

X-Force #1 was NOT a cultural phenomenon. There weren't people lined up around the block to buy it the day it came out, with national news stories about it, and people paying $100 for a copy a month or so after it came out.

PS...not that it really matters, but X-Force #1 came out over 26 years ago. I don't think it qualifies as a "modern", though it might seem that way to many. 

Perspective: books that were 26 years old when X-Force #1 came out were printed in 1965.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

20 hours ago, I like pie said:

The vertical line is the most common. Besides that, the spine takes a beating in that polybag. If the corners are nice and square (rare), there are usually multiple color breaks bringing down grade.

Yes, that printing defect is quite common. They printed these books on recycled napkins. 

1 hour ago, Broke as a Joke said:

So my 3 year old let me have a little time to myself this morning and I set free 10 of these from their polybag tomb.  The crease is present but I could see a press taking care of that, some have spine wear that would prevent them from being 9.8s but 3 copies look pretty nice.  No intention of sending these in to get graded but if I get enough other books on the pile I may send them in.

Wait, you finally had some alone time, and you spent those precious moments opening up old Rob Liefeld comics, instead of furiously cranking it? Priorities, man. :baiting:

(Unless you were furiously cranking it to the Liefeld comics, in which case, uh...I'm backing slowly out of the thread.)

18 minutes ago, F For Fake said:
1 hour ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Wait, you finally had some alone time, and you spent those precious moments opening up old Rob Liefeld comics, instead of furiously cranking it? Priorities, man. :baiting:

(Unless you were furiously cranking it to the Liefeld comics, in which case, uh...I'm backing slowly out of the thread.)

To cut him some slack, it WOULD mean he doesn't have a foot fetish.:grin:

14 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

Seems to suggest that they'll send along the empty plastic bag and inserts that accompanied the book before it was slabbed.

No, the very last image looks like a bag that was signed by Liefeld and has a sticker with a stamp on it as some type of COA.

edit:  hmm, looks like they removed it from the listing. There were four pictures when I looked at it.

7 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

The last image is the seller demonstrating to the the buyer the amount of coke one must consume in order to be happy with the purchase of this book

bad_boys_20.gif

Edited by ygogolak

Why did it sell for +$200(shrug)???  The negative UPC isn't rare.

And don't say because it's in 9.8 condition.  The moment the movie is official a bunch is going to flood the market.

If Spiderman #1 (poly bag) is plentiful in 9.8 condition there's no reason the same can't be said for this book.

***Full disclosure...I placed a bid on it for $158.01 and the winning bid was nearly the same as another "buy it now" auction

2 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Why did it sell for +$200(shrug)???  The negative UPC isn't rare.

And don't say because it's in 9.8 condition.  The moment the movie is official a bunch is going to flood the market.

If Spiderman #1 (poly bag) is plentiful in 9.8 condition there's no reason the same can't be said for this book.

***Full disclosure...I placed a bid on it for $158.01 and the winning bid was nearly the same as another "buy it now" auction

Some people have convinced other people that these are rare in high grade, some sort of common defect caused by the bagging process or the bag itself or who knows what. But even considering that, there are tens of thousands of 9.8 copies to be had even taking a conservative estimate based on how many copies are out there. It would just be more work to wade through them all, and presumably higher cost if people are buying them raw and still bagged.