• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weaving the Web: Completing AMAZING SPIDER-MAN Run
4 4

220 posts in this topic

That dog ear is unforgivable. You should ask CGC to reholder it free of charge. 2c

Yeah...I didn't notice at first as it is the all white until I got home. Had this been an unrestored copy, I would be a little more miffed. I might send them a message about it. I still think, despite the resto, it presents nice for a 4.5 so maybe I will contact them.

Undetected colour touch happens. I wonder if you would be able to see bleed through if you opened the front cover?

Are you going to crack it open?

Undetected colour touch happens. I wonder if you would be able to see bleed through if you opened the front cover?

Are you going to crack it open?

Hey Piper, no I am not going to crack it open myself...I did check the inside front and back covers initially but don't recall seeing anything. I am going to take another hard look at the spine through the case though to see if I can see anything.

For the heck of it, I thought I would look into seeing what it would cost to have resto removed (never looked into it before) and I think I will contact CGC about the dog ear.

Now that I "only" have the Lee/Ditko books to complete, I am considering only buying graded books for here on out. Obviously, not all will be high grade but a) it would prevent the resto situation (not that I would buy non-graded keys anyway) and b) it would be nice to have this as a "graded set". The downside is it will cost more to do that. Thoughts?

Now that I "only" have the Lee/Ditko books to complete, I am considering only buying graded books for here on out. Obviously, not all will be high grade but a) it would prevent the resto situation (not that I would buy non-graded keys anyway) and b) it would be nice to have this as a "graded set". The downside is it will cost more to do that. Thoughts?

If you're going the slabbed route, I would steer away from anything under 5.0, unless it's the first issue. 2c

If you're going the slabbed route, I would steer away from anything under 5.0, unless it's the first issue. 2c

I'm just going to take it one book at a time and try to balance grade with eye appeal and price. I might get the non-keys raw still though to help keep costs down...

That dog ear is unforgivable. You should ask CGC to reholder it free of charge. 2c

Yeah...I didn't notice at first as it is the all white until I got home. Had this been an unrestored copy, I would be a little more miffed. I might send them a message about it. I still think, despite the resto, it presents nice for a 4.5 so maybe I will contact them.

CGC is going to fix the mistake. No cost to me.

Here are likely (?) my last two books I will get before the New Year. Purchased from a fellow boardie. Very pleased with eye appeal for the grade for both books.

ASM%2013%20CGC%206.0_zpsdwvn7ke2.jpg

Mysterio is one of my favourite Spidey villains and I love this cover.

ASM%2020%20CGC%207.0_zpsmy8yu1tj.jpg

While not one of my fave Spidey villains, Scorpion is bat mess crazy.

30 Issues to complete the ASM run!!!!

#1 - #12,

#15 - #19

#21 - #24, #27, #29

#30 - #32, #35 - #38

My current personal Top 5 that I would like to own are #1, #3, #6, #9, #15. Honourable Mention: #4

Mysterio is one of my favorites. Mid grade keys that present better than grade given is the best.

Pretty good on the pocketbook too.

Hi Oak, thanks!

I'm trying to find copies that look nice and been working to "get over" grades (buy the book not the grade) and balance grade vs cost taking into account eye appeal...For keys, other than #1, I am going to aim for a minimum of a CGC 6.0 though. I always thought Mysterio was/is underrated. Plus, I always thought his costume was awesome.

Not sure what you mean though about the "pocket book"?

Mysterio is one of my favorites. Mid grade keys that present better than grade given is the best.

Hi Oak, thanks!

I'm trying to find copies that look nice and been working to "get over" grades (buy the book not the grade) and balance grade vs cost taking into account eye appeal...For keys, other than #1, I am going to aim for a minimum of a CGC 6.0 though. I always thought Mysterio was/is underrated. Plus, I always thought his costume was awesome.

I mean that mid grade books that present well are cheaper than expensive 9.X copies.

Hi Oak, thanks!

I mean that mid grade books that present well are cheaper than expensive 9.X copies.

Gotchya! ;)

Ok. mild distraction from the ASM run proper...

I also like to collect other Spidey related stuff (I would like a Mego Spidey some day)...I was able to get these at a good price including shipping in CAD so I took them.

...I love Treasury Editions and I try to grab them when I can if nicely priced. Also glad I have access to a huge scanner at work. :)

Astonishing Spider-Man #18

Astonishing%2018%20Treasury_zpspehffx8n.jpg

Sensational Spider-Man #22

Sensational%20Spidey%2022%20Treasury_zpsuluph0dx.jpg

Fastner/Larson Marvel Portfolio (still sealed) - Front

Spidey%20Portfolio%20Front_zpsqnsdpdhq.jpg

Back

Portfolio%20Spidey%20Back_zpsnwrq4czp.jpg

With Christmas and the New Year fast approaching, I thought about trying to make one more ASM purchase but that seems very unlikely now :( with Christmas around the corner and a few other expenses taking precedent (like gifts and new snow mobiling gear for myself).

On the whole, I feel it was a pretty decent year, collecting wise. As difficult as it was, for the most part, I was able to focus solely on building my ASM run.

Sidebar: While this year, I resisted the urge to get other keys that I do like and would like to own that are "out of focus", the one book I would really like to have is a DD #1 in a decent CGC grade. While there are a few others, that is the big non Spidey key I'm very interested in.

I started off the year needing 46 issues. I managed to bring that number down to 30 and just needing the Lee/Ditko books now. I picked up some decent keys in decent grades along the way. The biggest being ASM #14 - 1st Green Goblin. That was a big "get" for me and my favourite single ASM purchase of the year. Rounding out my Top 5 of the Year would be ASM #13, ASM #20, ASM #40 and ASM #41.

Moving forward in 2017, I am only going to chase after the remaining ASM keys unless a "common" book that presents really well for the price pops up on my radar, but the focus will be on the pricier keys. My goal, with the exception of maybe ASM #1 will be to keep the grades at least a CGC 6.0 - I would like to have a nice presenting run and maybe focus on "upgrading" or different keys once I reach my goal.

Books I need heading into 2017:

#1 - #12,

#15 - #19

#21 - #24, #27, #29

#30 - #32, #35 - #38

My "personal" Top 5 at time of this writing to chase for in 2017 will be ASM #1, ASM #3, ASM #6, ASM #9 and ASM #15. I do not necessarily think I will get all of these (very unlikley) just that these books are where the focus will be. Note: I could never really "get into" the Vulture and the panel cover for ASM #4 (1st Sandman) is not really my fave but Sandman is pretty cool Spidey villain.

I am going to continue to fund my collecting with comic sales (eBay and local shows) and I will try more board sales as well. I have even contemplated selling some of my other CGC keys to help expedite the process but I always seem to hold off on that and don't think I am quite ready to let them go yet either lol

For those following the journal, offering tips, words of encouragement, sourcing books and approaching me with books that I need (and to those I have purchased from), thank you for making this collecting endeavor that much more of a fun experience.

Well, turns out I managed to snag one more ASM book before the New Year.

I wasn't really planning on it but I noticed this book on eBay ending on Christmas Eve. I thought the holidays and ending time might work to my advantage and put in a snipe bid. Won it for about $50 less than 12 month GPA and third lowest sale for 2016.

The bonus for me is that the seller was also Canadian, so shipping cost was definitely another incentive to bid.

I don't have it in hand yet (should have it by mid next week), so I won't officially "count it", but here is the pic from the sale. If it looks as good as the scan, will be happy to include this copy of the 1st Gwen, Harry and Prof. Miles Warren as part of my collection.

167044.jpg.744c3260669875dc38eab7f3aa44901b.jpg

Edited by Wall-Crawler

My Amazing Spider-Man #31 CGC 7.0 that I won on eBay Christmas Eve and paid for on the 26th (so final 2016 purchase) arrived safe and sound from the seller today.

New scanner so the edges are a little dark (still have to learn the settings) but I am happy with how it looks in hand. The wrap is pretty sweet and I think it presents nicely for the grade. Happy to add it to the collection and wasn't too big a hit on the pocketbook.

ASM%2031%20CGC%207.0_zpssdldbfs2.jpg

Current issues needed to complete the run:

#1 - #12,

#15 - #19

#21 - #24, #27, #29

#30, #32, #35 - #38

Total issues needed to complete the run: 29

Well, it has been awhile since I have posted anything...Reason being, I haven't purchased anything.  

I'm feeling a bit of "collector paralysis" lately.  I have seen books that I would like but are either a) higher grade and thereby higher price than what I want to pay for a particular copy (even though some have been very fairly priced ) and b) the typical over priced stuff you see on eBay.  I randomly check out dealer sites but either too high a grade, too low or "not the books I am looking for".

My current  personal "Top 5" are ASM #1, #3, #6, #9 and #15.  The only "plus" about being "gun shy" of late is that the comic fund continues to (slowly) grow. While there are plenty of other books in my price range and run that I could buy, I just feel anything, even say if it is $200 for a nice graded copy of #38 (or whatever) that it is taking $200 away from one of the "bigger books", so I am reluctant to even buy "commons".

I am still committed to the goal of finishing the run, just I sometimes wonder if I am being "too picky" or maybe I'm just being cheap lol 

Sigh.

4 4