• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weaving the Web: Completing AMAZING SPIDER-MAN Run
4 4

220 posts in this topic

On 4/28/2017 at 2:01 PM, Wall-Crawler said:

I'm thinking I will hold out until #800 as they will likely bring back that legacy number.

I have tried digital...I just can't get into the format but been awhile since I checked comics out in that format.

The only monthly I get is ASM and the odd other one or two so my month to month expense is pretty low.

- that can work too --- for me,  the different numbering systems they keep bringing in just make my sorting more complex, lol!

If you did not see - there were several ASM lots in the sales forum this weekend - one had 15 and a couple others you were looking for ( though a coverless 2 is probably not what you are looking for) . Maybe a bundling offer might get you a good overall deal.

For me - digital gives me a lot that I can read - and then even go back and read some of the ones I have already slabbed - or books that I really do not want to dig through the boxes to find....  If it was just a couple of books a month, I could see buying a copy.

15 minutes ago, Hado said:

For the majority of your run what grades are you after? Are you doing any of it graded or just raw books?

Keys must be graded or from a very trustworthy seller if purchased raw with some kind of resto protection...I figured for keys buying already graded is the better way to go as I will want those graded anyway.  The vast majority of my collection is raw, but all of the big keys are graded.  To recap, the remaining books I need are from the Lee/Ditko era. I need:

#1 - #12

#15 - #19, #21 - #24, #27

#29, #30, #32, #35 - #38

So, by my count 30 issues remain. Of course, the most expensive of the run lol

Generally speaking, I don't *think* I want to go below a 6.0 and PQ must be Off-White Pages or better.  The exception to the 6.0 mark will be/is ASM #1.  For my current personal Top 5, this is what I have been thinking based on price point and potential for good eye appeal...

ASM #1 - 3.0 to 4.0/4.5

ASM #3 - 6.0 to 7.0

ASM #6 - 6.0 to 7.0

ASM #9 - 7.0 /7.5

ASM #15 - 7.0 to 8.0

I am taking @oakman29 advice and I am not buying any non-keys/fillers at this point unless I happen to see a killer deal, I will but I am not actively seeking those out at this time. Generally speaking the remaining later issue Lee/Ditko non-keys have to be close to the 7.0 grade range and present nicely.  Now, a few in my collection fall a bit below that but I am not upgrading until I complete the run, then I can work on refining it or move on to something else.

My standards may change on any given book depending on a few factors, but this is where I am "today".  Like I said, having a super high grade collection won't happen for me but I still want a nice, solid collection.

On 4/28/2017 at 2:48 PM, Wall-Crawler said:
On 4/28/2017 at 2:09 PM, piper said:

Forgot about that! I have my original newsstand copy. I'm getting it signed by Todd McFarlane today.

Nice!!!

I had him sign the splash page of the ASM 300 and got a cheapie Spiderman 1 signed.  The lines were painfully long because he spends som much time with each fan.  I also got a photo with him during the signing.  He's one cool Canuck!  I'll post some additional thoughts in the upcoming Calgary Expo thread.

5 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Keys must be graded or from a very trustworthy seller if purchased raw with some kind of resto protection...I figured for keys buying already graded is the better way to go as I will want those graded anyway.  The vast majority of my collection is raw, but all of the big keys are graded.  To recap, the remaining books I need are from the Lee/Ditko era. I need:

#1 - #12

#29, #30, #32, #35 - #38

So, by my count 30 issues remain. Of course, the most expensive of the run lol

Generally speaking, I don't *think* I want to go below a 6.0 and PQ must be Off-White Pages or better.  The exception to the 6.0 mark will be/is ASM #1.  For my current personal Top 5, this is what I have been thinking based on price point and potential for good eye appeal...

ASM #1 - 3.0 to 4.0/4.5

ASM #3 - 6.0 to 7.0

ASM #6 - 6.0 to 7.0

ASM #9 - 7.0 /7.5

ASM #15 - 7.0 to 8.0

I am taking @oakman29 advice and I am not buying any non-keys/fillers at this point unless I happen to see a killer deal, I will but I am not actively seeking those out at this time. Generally speaking the remaining later issue Lee/Ditko non-keys have to be close to the 7.0 grade range and present nicely.  Now, a few in my collection fall a bit below that but I am not upgrading until I complete the run, then I can work on refining it or move on to something else.

My standards may change on any given book depending on a few factors, but this is where I am "today".  Like I said, having a super high grade collection won't happen for me but I still want a nice, solid collection.

I'm just thinking of the US-CAD Exchange while looking at your list of remaining books to purchase.  The good news is that higher grade copies of No. 7,8,10,11 and 12 won't break the bank.  It's heard to believe that I purchased my ASM 1 when CAD was better than par.

Hopefully, you'll make some good profits at your upcoming shows to help subsidize these books.

15 minutes ago, piper said:

I'm just thinking of the US-CAD Exchange while looking at your list of remaining books to purchase.  The good news is that higher grade copies of No. 7,8,10,11 and 12 won't break the bank.  It's heard to believe that I purchased my ASM 1 when CAD was better than par.

Hopefully, you'll make some good profits at your upcoming shows to help subsidize these books.

Yes I am in it for the long game lol

The exchange rate is horrid but I fund my purchases primarily based off of sales  on ebay, the occasional board and other online venue which is typically in USD.  I opted to keep selling in USD on eBay. I have a USD account and I have a nice little sum saved.

"Show money" I generally use for other stuff or if I see a book "locally".

Well I finally put some of that "show/ebay money" to good use and got over my 2017 buying slump.  

Also my first single digit ASM, which sounds crazy. Thanks to @Iceman399 for the fair deal. I don't care what people say about you, you are an "ok" guy lol Really happy to have this book in my collection.  One more off the list!!!

29 ASM books to go: 

#1 - #5

#7 - #12

#29, #30, #32, #35 - #38

ASM 6 CGC 6 5.jpg

Edited by Wall-Crawler

1 hour ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Well I finally put some of that "show/ebay money" to good use and got over my 2017 buying slump.  

Also my first single digit ASM, which sounds crazy. Thanks to @Iceman399 for the fair deal. I don't care what people say about you, you are an "ok" guy lol Really happy to have this book in my collection.  One more off the list!!!

29 ASM books to go: 

#1 - #5

#7 - #12

#29, #30, #32, #35 - #38

ASM 6 CGC 6 5.jpg

Awesome pick up

The spinner rack was fortunate. I never would have come across it w/o the tip off.  Also fortunate that the seller has friends who travel back and forth.

As for the ASM #6, well the hook had previously been baited lol  I just needed incentive.

@Iceman399 @Red84 I ain't nobody's "Goose" :banana:

But, in all seriousness, one of the great things about these boards, meeting people, getting and sharing advice/tips, getting leads, buying and selling books for fair deals...And yes, "Iceman" totally hooked me up.

:headbang:

Just now, Wall-Crawler said:

The spinner rack was fortunate. I never would have come across it w/o the tip off.  Also fortunate that the seller has friends who travel back and forth.

As for the ASM #6, well the hook had previously been baited lol  I just needed incentive.

@Iceman399 @Red84 I ain't nobody's "Goose" :banana:

But, in all seriousness, one of the great things about these boards, meeting people, getting and sharing advice/tips, getting leads, buying and selling books for fair deals...And yes, "Iceman" totally hooked me up.

:headbang:

With your first low number ASM you're entering the "Danger Zone"!

(last Top Gun reference...for the evening)

So now that I have a lovely ASM #6, time to update the personal "Top 5" to get (excluding AF #15 obviously) and grade ranges...For everything except #1, I would like to stay 6.0 and above.  In order of preference:

ASM #1 - 3.0 to 4.0/4.5 

ASM #3 - 6.0 to 7.0

ASM #15 - 7.0 to 8.0

ASM #9 - 7.0 to 8.0

ASM #4 - 6.0 to 7.0

I have also been thinking I might like to snag an ASM Annual #1...

I also like picking up odd or different Spidey related books and items when I come across them.

I came across this copy of Ideals Marvel TPB: Spider-Man The Secret Story of Marvel's World-Famous Wall-Crawler. It was $10 CDN. Couldn't pass it up.

Reprints AF #15 and ASM #80. Includes info on Spidey's powers, some cool pin ups on Spidey villains and friends. Also neat little section on Lee, Ditko and Romita.

Just a fun book.

received_10154662905757525.jpeg

received_10154662906312525.jpeg

received_10154662906582525.jpeg

Attended a (relatively) local con. Was able to score a nice con sketch from Mark Bagley.  He was pretty engaging with the fans, particularly the younger ones.  Mark is left handed. He said "all the best artists are", which was pretty funny.  When I asked for a Spidey head sketch he was relieved.  He said "everyone" was asking for "Carnage, Carnage, Carnage".

20170521_133012.jpg

Edited by Wall-Crawler

18 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Attended a (relatively) local con. Was able to score a nice con sketch from Mark Bagley.  He was pretty engaging with the fans, particularly the younger ones.  Mark is left handed. He said "all the best artists are", which was pretty funny.  When I asked for a Spidey head sketch he was relieved.  He said "everyone" was asking for "Carnage, Carnage, Carnage".

20170521_133012.jpg

Loved his artwork on Ultimate Spidey!

As for ASM collecting habits, I stopped buying and reading the current issues after One More Day. Then I decided to limit my run to #1-441 and sell off the rest. Now I'm considering limiting it to #1-129, 194, 238, 252, 299, 300 and 361. I feel like focusing most on #1-50. While I have all but #1, some could really use some upgrading. #1 has consistently stayed just out of reach for me. I keep wanting to save for it, but then I see something shiny and my funds go there. I, too, only use "play" money for collecting, so I don't have a crazy amount of funds for the hobby.

I started collecting my run when I was a teenager in the '90s. Back then I didn't care about grades at all, just filling holes. Luckily, some of the issues I got back then (23, 31, 43) look very nice. And some were rags that I ended up having to upgrade. I only yesterday went through and replaced all my bags and boards with mylars and full backs, which was long overdue. Even the lower grade issues look great in those things.

I have my sights set a little lower than you. I'm trying for at least 4.0 for #2-15. But what I look for is well-presenting covers. So I'm looking to upgrade #3, 4, 5, and 15 at the moment. Others on my list are 19, 21 and 24. I also now have traits I don't want in my run, such as tape, subscription creases, missing pieces. My 22, 45 and 46 have sub creases which means I need to upgrade them one day. I'm definitely getting more picky as time goes on. Good luck with the collection! Also congrats on that beautiful 6!

4 4