• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weaving the Web: Completing AMAZING SPIDER-MAN Run
4 4

220 posts in this topic

Soooo, last show I did, I sold my ASM #238 CGC 9.4 because, well, I wanted a CGC 9.6 copy to "match" my other 9.6 for late bronze to modern first appearances. OCD. What are you going to do? lol

Anyone have an ASM #238 CGC 9.6 that they would like to sell?

UPDATE: Found and purchased today - Current run intact no more upgrading...

Edited by Wall-Crawler
new content

Saturday Rambling:

With the current prices of AF #15, I don't know if I will ever own even a low grade copy...For collecting, I have a rule, no borrowing no household money. Whatever I buy is purchased through my selling at small shows, online, etc.

It is a bit of a conundrum.  Do I just "give up" on having it and focus on getting a decent ASM #1 next and continue to work on the other ASM keys?   Or just be extremely disciplined, sell, sell, sell and even start selling off every non-Spidey keys I have to get an AF #15? 

What makes the decision difficult is twofold:

1.  I have other interests that I use my sales funds for. Dropping $15 - 20K (USD) would take away from those things. I mean, if I did manage to save that amount of $$$, there is A LOT of other things I could do with it...
  2. Even if I saved enough, spending that much money on any single comic would likely make me feel a little :sick: Even think about it does a bit lol Up until this point, my largest single comic book expenditure was for my ASM #14 CGC 6.5 and that was a couple years ago now.

However, having this book would be a huge accomplishment...I would also want to own it w/o feeling any "guilt" due to the cost.  I don't know exactly how I would feel until I had it though either.  Perhaps it would be pure bliss with no regrets or maybe there would be a tad bit of guilt? 

I don't know...These are just ramblings...An internal struggle if you will...Anyone else ever struggle with these kind of questions?  Regardless, I am not "giving up", just in a bit of a "holding pattern" again...Sigh...

Sounds like a familiar problem! lol

Shouldn't obtaining a grail require some level of sacrifice on one's part?

Why would there be guilt if you're using solely comic sales to fund the purchase?

Would you feel regret if you only had an ASM 1 in my collection?

For me, I can say that I would rather have an AF15 than several high grade ASM keys. 

3 hours ago, piper said:

Why would there be guilt if you're using solely comic sales to fund the purchase?

Because at the end of the day, it is money I could use for other things that I would like to do/have/provide for my wife and I. For example, the $$$ could provide  a very nice adventure/vacation for my spouse and I or go towards development on some property we have.

I guess even though I "earned it" outside of the family income, the idea of spending "that much" on "myself" would take some getting use to.

It is much 'easier' to spend $500 to $1500 spread out over many many purchases than one big "kablam" purchase.

5 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Because at the end of the day, it is money I could use for other things that I would like to do/have/provide for my wife and I. For example, the $$$ could provide  a very nice adventure/vacation for my spouse and I or go towards development on some property we have.

I guess even though I "earned it" outside of the family income, the idea of spending "that much" on "myself" would take some getting use to.

It is much 'easier' to spend $500 to $1500 spread out over many many purchases than one big "kablam" purchase.

I guess it's all a question of all in moderation. We get to go on vacation and home renos still happen.  I just have to save whether it be a holiday, comic book, etc...

18 hours ago, piper said:

I guess it's all a question of all in moderation. We get to go on vacation and home renos still happen.  I just have to save whether it be a holiday, comic book, etc...

Oh yes, we still do that too (vacation, renos/house stuff)...I think (partially) is that on top of having to work to actually save for that much, at the end of the day that is a big expenditure on something "just for me", regardless whether I "worked for it" on my own.  Disclaimer: My wife does help me with local shows though.

20 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Oh yes, we still do that too (vacation, renos/house stuff)...I think (partially) is that on top of having to work to actually save for that much, at the end of the day that is a big expenditure on something "just for me", regardless whether I "worked for it" on my own.  Disclaimer: My wife does help me with local shows though.

Time to pick up some OT or a part-time job then....:tonofbricks:

On 6/24/2017 at 0:30 PM, piper said:

Sounds like a familiar problem! lol

Shouldn't obtaining a grail require some level of sacrifice on one's part?

Would you feel regret if you only had an ASM 1 in my collection?

For me, I can say that I would rather have an AF15 than several high grade ASM keys. 

Great point. If buying solely with comic sales,I would put only a portion of my profits in a seperate savings account. Call it your grail account! Each time you sell books,put half of your dollars in that savings account. Other half use it for the "other things". Soon enough you'll have enough for a nice AF 15. You know a nicely presenting 1.5\ 2.0 is a great achievement too.

3 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Great point. If buying solely with comic sales,I would put only a portion of my profits in a seperate savings account. Call it your grail account! Each time you sell books,put half of your dollars in that savings account. Other half use it for the "other things". Soon enough you'll have enough for a nice AF 15. You know a nicely presenting 1.5\ 2.0 is a great achievement too.

Actually, this is a great idea...Split it up...Half for grail saving and half for "other stuff".  Might help take some of the "sting out".  Definitely worth pondering. Thanks @piper too.

8 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Actually, this is a great idea...Split it up...Half for grail saving and half for "other stuff".  Might help take some of the "sting out".  Definitely worth pondering. Thanks @piper too.

I have a separate savings account, and every paycheck I put 20,30,40 whatever I can afford. After awhile that 20 dollars builds up, and to be honest it's probably money that I would have spent on Starbucks anyway.

38 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

and to be honest it's probably money that I would have spent on Starbucks anyway.

Well said.

10 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I have a separate savings account, and every paycheck I put 20,30,40 whatever I can afford. After awhile that 20 dollars builds up, and to be honest it's probably money that I would have spent on Starbucks Tim Horton's anyway.

Fixed that for you. :)

Edited by Wall-Crawler

My ASM #238 upgrade (sold my 9.4 at the last show)...Fits in nice with these late bronze, copper, modern first Spidey's I have...Still, was kind of unnecessary lol

The only other book I want to replace is my ASM #33 raw copy for a nice CGC copy. I love that issue...However, the great debate remains but good advice I will be taking to heart about the whole AF #15/ASM #1, etc.

Spidey Collage.jpg

24 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

My ASM #238 upgrade (sold my 9.4 at the last show)...Fits in nice with these late bronze, copper, modern first Spidey's I have...Still, was kind of unnecessary lol

It's all about the journey, right?

Just now, Wall-Crawler said:

Sometimes there are slight detours...

Regardless, I like your signature line.  I've been meaning to re-complete my ASM 1-50 run but keeping getting other books instead.  

4 4