• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NM98 CGC 9.8 post movie pricing

NM98 post movie pricing  

480 members have voted

1. 1. NM98 post movie pricing

125 posts in this topic

Harley is a hotter property right now. Once the DP move came and went the demand for back issues dried up fast this year. It was interesting to see how cold the character became even after a highly successful movie.

Odd that NM #98 is dropping a bit while BA #12 is picking up. I've always thought of these two books as moving together.

I agree.

I wonder if it's because X-Men Origins Wolverine was the first time Deapool was on screen, then he got his more faithful movie, where Harley has just now had her X-Men Origins moment with a solo on the way (I assume on the way anyway).

Odd that NM #98 is dropping a bit while BA #12 is picking up. I've always thought of these two books as moving together.

I agree.

I wonder if it's because X-Men Origins Wolverine was the first time Deapool was on screen, then he got his more faithful movie, where Harley has just now had her X-Men Origins moment with a solo on the way (I assume on the way anyway).

That could be it, she was the best part of the movie.

Harley is a hotter property right now. Once the DP move came and went the demand for back issues dried up fast this year. It was interesting to see how cold the character became even after a highly successful movie.

That can't be a good sign for the market..

I find that Deadpool back issues are hot one year, cold the next, then hot again......it is a cycle in the local marketplace. That being said, I did move a small group to two collectors four weeks ago at a one day show so things will likely pick up in the spring again.

The same pattern holds true for other books. ASM #361 is a good example. This spring I was selling raw 9.0 copies at $80 to other dealers at the Calgary Expo who were then flipping them from $100 - $150 per copy........this fall I have seen zero interest in the book so far. lol

Harley has the benefit of more female collectors/readers discovering her via the SS movie. Her books have always sold well, but there is a definite uptick thanks to the movie.

Edited by kimik

I find that Deadpool back issues are hot one year, cold the next, then hot again......it is a cycle in the local marketplace. That being said, I did move a small group to two collectors four weeks ago at a one day show so things will likely pick up in the spring again.

The same pattern holds true for other books. ASM #361 is a good example. This spring I was selling raw 9.0 copies at $80 to other dealers at the Calgary Expo who were then flipping them from $100 - $150 per copy........this fall I have seen zero interest in the book so far. lol

Harley has the benefit of more female collectors/readers discovering her via the SS movie. Her books have always sold well, but there is a definite uptick thanks to the movie.

Interesting about the ASM 361, as the price on 9.8's has seemingly jumped $50 or more within the last few months. Not sure why because Carnage movie talk has been relatively quiet since Marvel took the controls cinematically.

At any rate, I tried an experiment and put my CGC 9.8 W on eBay with a starting price of $5 and no reserve… Let’s see how low it can go. hm

Here.

Isn't this possibly due to the fact that BA 12 is generally a tougher book to find, whereas there are an absolute ton of NM 98's out there? (shrug)

What's the opinion on when Deadpool really took off as a fan favorite amongst comic collectors? One important factor to consider is whether his core fandom can afford the book in top grade. When I started collecting comics in the late '80s, I would have loved to have owned a IH181, but it was out of my budget at the time (unless I wanted to stop buying other books). Now, as someone in his 40s with a job that pays well, if I wanted a copy in 9.8 it's more within reach than it was when I was in my teens and early 20s.

So what's the opinion on what the age is of Deadpool's core fandom? Is it possible that many people that might want a copy now just can't afford it *yet*?

Males aged 10-25 are probably the core Deadpool fan base.Based on the appeal/humor of the character, most are likely around 13-17 years old.

Most 15 year old's can't afford a slabbed 9.8 NM 98.

So they'll buy a raw VG+ to VF for $200 to $300.

Just like any big copper age key book, it is worth 2-3 bills in mid grade, just because collectors who can't afford to drop a grand (or 2 grand for a BA 12) in 9.8.

As the second movie comes closer, the prices on this book will spike again...probably ending up around $800-$1200.....averaging around what they were selling at before the 1st Deadpool movie came out.

They'll probably dip down after the 2nd movie, intil a 3rd movie comes out.Rinse and repeat with a slow but steady appreciation overall, after each time Deadpool is featured in a movie.

As the core audience gets older, the book becomes more affordable to them in 9.8...meanwhile Deadpool continues to gain popularity and media exposure, over the next few years.

3 years time, I think that you won't be able to buy a CGC 9.8 for less than $1000...with the spread on 9.8 sales being $1000 to $1500.

This is why I mostly stick to buying/selling copper age books.

A good time to buy is now, maybe unload when second movie comes out? hm

Ended at $655.00, so I guess that’s losing steam… but you have to take into account that I was asking about $40 for shipping via courrier from Italy, so in line with US-US sales of about $680 I guess.

Very likely buyer is a boardie I already know… Waiting for his reply. :)

Looks like my decision to sell my 9.8 back when the movie news hit was a solid one, as I got close to a grand for it.

Meanwhile, my decision to sell my BA 12 9.8 when Suicide Squad was announced is looking worse and worse...

You could have taken the money from the BA 12 sale and reinvested it into other books several times over since the sale and made far more money than the difference in realized prices between your sale price and the current market price.

Ended at $655.00, so I guess that’s losing steam… but you have to take into account that I was asking about $40 for shipping via courrier from Italy, so in line with US-US sales of about $680 I guess.

It is funny to see only a $120-$130 gap between 9.8 prices for #87 and #98 now.

It is funny to see only a $120-$130 gap between 9.8 prices for #87 and #98 now.

Interesting to see where they're both at come the next movie ...

A LCS has a slabbed 9.6 NM 98 on the shelf right now for $300. I was seriously debating the other day if I should grab it.

make him a straight cash offer for $280 ?