• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cracking 9.8's for signing

20 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm attending the LSCC in a couple of weeks, and Marv Wolfman is there, I have a low grade SS NTT2 already, and have what appears to be a 9 or above TotTT 44 which I could get signed.

I also have a 9.8 stabbed TotTT 44 which I am reluctant to crack due to the possible grade loss.

I'm wondering what people's views are on SS books. Do you care so much on the grade of them, or do you just want the signature.

I wondering whether or not to keep my 9.8s as are, and use other books possible 9 or above a for Signatures.

I definitely care about the grade.

Before I submit a graded comic for a signature, I carefully look at the book through the slab to make sure it's a solid 9.8 and not a "gift" grade.

From there, it's a matter of handling and preparation.

The key is to hand your book to a professional. We have some fantastic facilitators on this board. I've used Rich Henn, Dscott, and NYComics. They are all wonderful.

I've had dozens of 9.8s cracked out of the slab and signed. All of them have maintained their grade. *knock on wood*

I mainly deal with modern comics, so it's very important to maintain the 9.8. I'd be disappointed with anything less, no matter who signed the book.

I'm too terrified to get any of my 9.9s cracked, however.

Good luck!

I crack 9.8's a lot even cracked a few 9.9's the 9.9's retained their grade and most of the time the 9.8's retain their grade. It is all about prep work and handling. Pressing before regarding also helps.

Woah. Even 9.9s? Surprised they retained their grades. Do you submit the old label with the submission? Just curious.

I have 9.8s that I want to get signed, but I am extremely paranoid that the books won't retain their grade.

Also with moderns, It is pretty much standard that I want books 9.8 regardless if it is SS or blue label. My onyl exceptions are blank sketch covers art, which I feel the grade should not matter because it should be all about the artwork.

I recently sent off 4 9.8's for a signing. Two kept their grade, one came back 9.6 the other 9.4. Like was already mentioned I inspect them to make sure I feel they are strong 9.8's and then I sent them off to trusted facilitators. I think some people are just rough on comics when they sign them. It's definitely a risk any time.

I hate cracking 9.8s. Better to crack a 9.6, press it, and then hope for the bump, or get raw candidates. Yes, there may not be any physical difference, but the psychological frustration losing a grade brings can be a bit much.

I have a ST #21 that was a 9.8 blue, cracked it twice for sigs, and it came back 9.6 both times. That damn top staple problem. Sigh.

Yes, there may not be any physical difference, but the psychological frustration losing a grade brings can be a bit much.

Agreed. I've cracked about 15 books in the past 6 months - much smaller numbers than most folks who've posted - and had 2 come back 9.6. They still looked great and there was certainly no one at fault (except me for rolling the dice by cracking them) but damn was I irritated!

grades dropping happens. Cracking the slab can cause this taking it out of the well can cause it putting in or taking it out of the window bag can cause it overhandling can cause it poor shipping can cause it. there are no guarantees in life but when you turn a sweet blue label into a sweet yellow label you will be amazed how good that feels.

grades dropping happens. Cracking the slab can cause this taking it out of the well can cause it putting in or taking it out of the window bag can cause it overhandling can cause it poor shipping can cause it. there are no guarantees in life but when you turn a sweet blue label into a sweet yellow label you will be amazed how good that feels.

None of those things should happen with the super anal.

With the super anal, it usually happens because of soft grades in the first place.

I have re-submitted about 120 9.8's to be signature series books from sping 2011 yp now. I would say that about 90 of them (i.e. about 75%) have come back as signature series 9.8s.

In almost every case, I have attributed the drop being related to soft 9.8's (not to handling).

I often wonder if part of the drops are caused by the evolution of grading standards. I am a lot more careful about checking a book before sending it. I probably have over 100 9.8's in my collection that I won't send as SS books because I am worried about them maintaining their grade. It's always painful to have the grade go back lower. It feels awesome when the grade is maintained though.

lol, all the responses, still can't make up my mind.

The comic shop have advised me to take it to them slabbed at the event, and they will crack it.

However, I'm wondering whether or not to do it myself, and prep it for signing as per the sticky in the forum. At least that way I will know it's my fault if it's damaged during the cracking.

Got 2 weeks to make up my mind :)

depends on the person signing for me as well. if i have a 9.8 and a celeb or artist that doesn't make too many appearances is coming up, i'd take the gamble.

I can agree on that. Especially for celeb books. I have 4 Whedon related books, and only one is a 9.8, and it doesn't even remotely matter to me as long as I can keep adding sigs to the other ones from the various casts and crews of Whedonverse.

I'd personally crack most blue labels to make them yellow. I find blues boring and think yellow labels have much more character and actually have a story then. But of course that's not the case for everything.

I prefer yellows over blue as well when it comes to moderns at least. However, I would prefer a 9.8 blue over a 9.6 or 9.4 yellow.