• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
49 49

61,044 posts in this topic

Finally stopped by the Ollie's down the street from me and they had a big pallet right at the front of the store. I have the damn flu that seems to be everywhere right now and I just couldn't hack spending a lot of time browsing through all of the titles. I did pick up like $65 worth of books. Unfortunately, there were only a couple archive editions at that location and they weren't titles I was interested in. And I didn't see any of the 75th anniversary books until I went to check out. They had the nicer hardcovers on a shelf by the checkout. It seemed like most of the stuff was still there as the pallet was for the most part still 100% full. In fact they had books stacked on the very top because there was no room for them anywhere else. So I expect I will find more titles when I go back in a couple days after I am feeling better. Its not just DC either. They had 5 packs of Zenescope soft cover TPB's for $15.99. Will definitely be going back and will definitely be checking out the other locations by me once I am feeling better. 

Also found an eBay shipment that had arrived Friday. My wife has a bad habit of taking new deliveries and just sticking them in the basement and forgetting to tell me about them. I wind up finding them 2-3 days later. Anyways, received a batch of signed Turner books. I am very close to having a 100% complete signed Michael Turner collection. I think I am down to just a few foreign variants left. IMG_8146.thumb.jpg.f0e0484ef49d3205c88a329436f5d97e.jpgIMG_8145-(b).thumb.jpg.e27d89a4a8b52b599134af53871a7098.jpgIMG_8144-(b).thumb.jpg.a68f0cfbacc171360a555dbbcd609bd2.jpgIMG_8148.thumb.jpg.6f8984925396cfade64ff9fda4bf1bdb.jpgIMG_8149.thumb.jpg.bffc0191d0be498f121c050f4e802ba3.jpgIMG_8150.thumb.jpg.773470bb6917b066f081d4613d0084ca.jpgIMG_8151.thumb.jpg.0bea8d7e32118f2f194e2c7757d21bc1.jpgIMG_8155.thumb.jpg.353df49cb208b641521a34e7143d2ad6.jpgIMG_8152.thumb.jpg.0c964d97135a7f4208f32205b6de2684.jpgIMG_8157.thumb.jpg.b9ed9df4b8f9526ab6d2df39733ad67d.jpgIMG_8154.thumb.jpg.e1c049b5514cba01eb5a411c19786a98.jpg

I gotta say, the guy I bought these from has a very strange way of bagging and boarding his comics. He put the comic in a modern size bag and board, taped it shut, and then taped that bagged and boarded comic to a silver age size board, but he did it so the comic was like 1/8" higher than the bottom of the silver age board. He then bagged it in a silver age bag and taped it shut. It basically makes it so the bottom of the comic never touches the bottom of the comic box. Never seen anyone double bag and board like this before. It is an interesting concept if your afraid the bottom of the comic might get damaged while in a storage box. This method basically floats the comic off the bottom. Thats what the 2 pieces of tape that you can see in some of the pictures is. I plan to move them to Mylites and full back boards. To each thier own I guess. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

Alright, after finalizing the divorce, decided to continue completing my run from #1 - #544..

Big props to @HouseofComics.Com for the righteous deals, he's always hooked me up..

Currently have only 35 issues left before a complete set (not counting variants as variants are meh..)
Here's what I picked up today at the local comic-con which filled in some nice holes.. 

The remain 35 are all in the 1-93 range, with currently 4, 5, 8 and 10 already completed for the 1-10 set.

There is another con May 5th in my area, will look for more there..

xmen5front.jpg

xmen8front.jpg

xmen20front.jpg

xmen27front.jpg

xmen36front.jpg

xmen51front.jpg

xmen52front.jpg

xmen53front.jpg

xmen63front.jpg

xmen72front.jpg

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@OrangeCrush

Hope you feel better! Glad that it sounds like you may still find some nice finds :foryou:

Much appreciated! Yeah, I have no doubt I will find more and I already got some good one's including The DC Comic Art of Brian Bolland, Batman Unwrapped by Tony Daniel, Batman Unwrapped by Brian Kubert, 75th Anniversary of Lois Lane, 75th Anniversary of Lex Luthor, Superman The Black Ring, Justice League Vol.4 HC,  Justice League Throne of Atlantis HC & Blu Ray/DVD, Trinity, Secret Origins Vol.2, Batman The Dark Knight: Golden Dawn, JSA Mixed Signals, etc. Its just a shame that more people in here don't have access to these stores as you really don't see something like this very often. The Ollie's by me actually has a decent sized book section. I just never would have thought that Ollie's would carry books. Even after this whole DC thing is over, I will still stop in there from time to time to check out their book section. 

9 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

Much appreciated! Yeah, I have no doubt I will find more and I already got some good one's including The DC Comic Art of Brian Bolland, Batman Unwrapped by Tony Daniel, Batman Unwrapped by Brian Kubert, 75th Anniversary of Lois Lane, 75th Anniversary of Lex Luthor, Superman The Black Ring, Justice League Vol.4 HC,  Justice League Throne of Atlantis HC & Blu Ray/DVD, Trinity, Secret Origins Vol.2, Batman The Dark Knight: Golden Dawn, JSA Mixed Signals, etc. Its just a shame that more people in here don't have access to these stores as you really don't see something like this very often. The Ollie's by me actually has a decent sized book section. I just never would have thought that Ollie's would carry books. Even after this whole DC thing is over, I will still stop in there from time to time to check out their book section. 

Yes, they're a great spot for books! Of course, as a closeout/buyout store, their stock can vary wildly, but they get a lot of bestsellers, artbooks, etc. For instance, I haven't paid more than $3.99 for a new first edition Stephen King hardcover in three or four years, and if you dig enough, you can usually find a copy without remainder marks. Well worth the hunt.

I drove an hour away to an Ollie's I hadn't been to before this Saturday, because apparently I have too much free time. This is my latest haul. Also, it's worth signing up for their rewards program, which is free. I'd spent enough recently to get a 10% off coupon, which I used to get this whole stack of books for $119. Good luck everyone!

Photo Feb 10, 8 50 49 PM.jpg

53 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

Don't forget to enlist in Ollie's Army for future discounts!

I enlisted today, 15% off next visit I think. Only picked up a few things this trip, but I think the best find is this hardcover Batman Unwrapped. It is a collection of 7 years of Kubert work on Batman, all re-printed from the original pencil drawings. 

buffy.thumb.jpg.31cdb365e215bb2c043438511685ef76.jpg

kubert.thumb.jpg.ef933c3e9e278e22b3a1344cf143176e.jpg

40 minutes ago, Jimbo749 said:

I enlisted today, 15% off next visit I think. Only picked up a few things this trip, but I think the best find is this hardcover Batman Unwrapped. It is a collection of 7 years of Kubert work on Batman, all re-printed from the original pencil drawings. 

buffy.thumb.jpg.31cdb365e215bb2c043438511685ef76.jpg

kubert.thumb.jpg.ef933c3e9e278e22b3a1344cf143176e.jpg

Yes, the Unwrapped volumes are neat! My local Ollies had a bunch of the Kubert and Daniels volumes. I bought one each for myself, but considered buying a couple more since they're such a nice deal (I think something like $34.99 MSRP vs $5.99 Ollies price.) I wish they had some of the "Noir" volumes, as those are books I need for my personal collection, but haven't felt like paying for so far. (Black and white hardcover reprints of books I already own in several editions already. Joy.)

I think my favorite find so far are the Mad Archives, which are $60 msrp, selling for only $6.99. I also like the various Archives, but a lot of the material has been reprinted in Omnibus form. I wish I could turn up a copy of Seven Soldiers of Victory Vol 2, since 1 & 3 are out there in abundance. 

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Yes, the Unwrapped volumes are neat! My local Ollies had a bunch of the Kubert and Daniels volumes. I bought one each for myself, but considered buying a couple more since they're such a nice deal (I think something like $34.99 MSRP vs $5.99 Ollies price.) I wish they had some of the "Noir" volumes, as those are books I need for my personal collection, but haven't felt like paying for so far. (Black and white hardcover reprints of books I already own in several editions already. Joy.)

I think my favorite find so far are the Mad Archives, which are $60 msrp, selling for only $6.99. I also like the various Archives, but a lot of the material has been reprinted in Omnibus form. I wish I could turn up a copy of Seven Soldiers of Victory Vol 2, since 1 & 3 are out there in abundance. 

it's  very cool to see what different stores had.  My store was probably 40% New 52 books,  with only a handful of the showcase books. 

6 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Woohoo, awesome!  Man, that's a lot of diggin'!

That reminds me of the comic book tables at the Atlantic Book Store in Wildwood NJ in the seventies and eighties. It took a whole summer to go through all of their books, and they had a lot of gems mixed in those piles.

Edited by Larryw7

3 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

That reminds me of the comic book tables at the Atlantic Book Store in Wildwood NJ in the seventies and eighties. It took a whole summer to go through all of their books, and they had a lot of gems mixed in those places.

The Wildwood board walk :headbang: