• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
49 49

61,035 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Hey, did you build a time machine and hit a newsstand?? Very sweet book, congrats!

Thanks! The Time Machine performed PERFECTLY! I only had time though to hit one newsstand before rushing to catch the Rolling Stones at Carnegie Hall. Nearly all of the Marvel's were sold out (go figure) but I also managed newsstand fresh copies of Tales to Astonish #81 and Thor #126!

Rolling_Stones_poster_thmb.jpg

tta81a.JPG

t126.JPG

On April 6, 2018 at 10:11 PM, Moetown said:

Picked these up recently in a 600/700 book all-DC OO collection: 

books pic-3b.jpg

books pic-2.jpg

books pic-1.jpg

Any backstory at all you're able to share, just for fun? Were you in discussions a long time with this person, etc? Very cool to bring this home; congrats again! (thumbsu

5 hours ago, Kramerica said:

Thanks! The Time Machine performed PERFECTLY! I only had time though to hit one newsstand before rushing to catch the Rolling Stones at Carnegie Hall. Nearly all of the Marvel's were sold out (go figure) but I also managed newsstand fresh copies of Tales to Astonish #81 and Thor #126!

Rolling_Stones_poster_thmb.jpg

tta81a.JPG

t126.JPG

I notice you grabbed a handful of other Marvels off the same newsstand! I was bouncing between this thread, the first horror book discussion, and running an Archie sales threads at the same time, though. While we see sharp old copies get posted around here, these Marvels really do look like you there when they rolled off the presses. LCS? Obsessive OO? Generally, what was the source of the find?

3 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Any backstory at all you're able to share, just for fun? Were you in discussions a long time with this person, etc? Very cool to bring this home; congrats again! (thumbsu

Nothing to exciting...  Exchanged a few e-mails and then met for several hours prior to agreeing on the deal.  It was an older gentleman's collection and he only liked DC at the time and quit collecting in the early 60's after starting in the mid-to-late 50's.  As a result, there are a lot of Batman from 100-200; Action 200-300; Adventure 200-325; Lois Lane 1-50; Superboy 50-150; Jimmy Olsen 30-80; Showcase 6-50; Superman 95-150; TECT 225-350; Blackhawk 90-200 and a lot of early Green Lantern, Justice League, Metal Men, Challengers of the Unknown (1-10); Flash, Aquaman, etc... 

Thanks again and sorry the story wasn't more exciting but it's the first time I've run into an all DC collection from the 50's so I wanted to share.

On 4/6/2018 at 10:11 PM, Moetown said:

Picked these up recently in a 600/700 book all-DC OO collection: 

books pic-3b.jpg

books pic-2.jpg

books pic-1.jpg

this is like a dream pickup for me.  holy mackerel

7 hours ago, Readcomix said:

I notice you grabbed a handful of other Marvels off the same newsstand! I was bouncing between this thread, the first horror book discussion, and running an Archie sales threads at the same time, though. While we see sharp old copies get posted around here, these Marvels really do look like you there when they rolled off the presses. LCS? Obsessive OO? Generally, what was the source of the find?

Actually a combination of all of the above. These books came from a OO SA collection of 1958-1968 or so books which included tons of Dells and Gold Keys as well. The collection surfaced about 5 years ago and was purchased by an LCS and that is when the buyer sent the best of the keys and semi-keys to CGC. The remainder of raw NM books went up for sale and were sold over the next 1-2 years to regular LCS customers. I purchased a decent amount for myself to keep raw and then sent some NM stuff in to be graded which I then sold and paid for my raw purchases. I also sold about 100 books here on consignment for the owner in 2013/2014 and some boardies made away with some gems. Sadly, the bulk of the 1958-1964 books were/are hampered by subscription creases. These raw copies shown represent books that could in fact have come right off the rack. They are solid 9.0-9.4 books that exhibit tiny dings and such on the edges/corners that you would expect for many books grabbed off the rack. The OO then stored them flat and in a great environment. A lot of books still remain but for the most part they are low to mid grade DC's, Dells and Gold Keys. (thumbsu

7 hours ago, Moetown said:

Nothing to exciting...  Exchanged a few e-mails and then met for several hours prior to agreeing on the deal.  It was an older gentleman's collection and he only liked DC at the time and quit collecting in the early 60's after starting in the mid-to-late 50's.  As a result, there are a lot of Batman from 100-200; Action 200-300; Adventure 200-325; Lois Lane 1-50; Superboy 50-150; Jimmy Olsen 30-80; Showcase 6-50; Superman 95-150; TECT 225-350; Blackhawk 90-200 and a lot of early Green Lantern, Justice League, Metal Men, Challengers of the Unknown (1-10); Flash, Aquaman, etc... 

Thanks again and sorry the story wasn't more exciting but it's the first time I've run into an all DC collection from the 50's so I wanted to share.

Please don't be sorry; that's a GREAT story and an awesome score! Congrats for reeling it in; never a foregone conclusion.

3 hours ago, Kramerica said:

Actually a combination of all of the above. These books came from a OO SA collection of 1958-1968 or so books which included tons of Dells and Gold Keys as well. The collection surfaced about 5 years ago and was purchased by an LCS and that is when the buyer sent the best of the keys and semi-keys to CGC. The remainder of raw NM books went up for sale and were sold over the next 1-2 years to regular LCS customers. I purchased a decent amount for myself to keep raw and then sent some NM stuff in to be graded which I then sold and paid for my raw purchases. I also sold about 100 books here on consignment for the owner in 2013/2014 and some boardies made away with some gems. Sadly, the bulk of the 1958-1964 books were/are hampered by subscription creases. These raw copies shown represent books that could in fact have come right off the rack. They are solid 9.0-9.4 books that exhibit tiny dings and such on the edges/corners that you would expect for many books grabbed off the rack. The OO then stored them flat and in a great environment. A lot of books still remain but for the most part they are low to mid grade DC's, Dells and Gold Keys. (thumbsu

Wow, that's a pretty cool situation. So have been picking up pieces here and there for a few years from this collection, I'd guess? It's cool but, speaking for me, overwhelming in the sense of "What slice do I pick???" when I see an LCS land a large and nifty collection like that.

I am a big Love and Rockets fan. Mario, Gilberto and Jaime Hernandez were huge pioneers in the Indy/Small Press Comics movement. Here are the three printings of this 1982 #1 issue.... perhaps the first time these books are shown in the same image. 1f642.png:) The First printing is somewhat smaller than the other two. The 6.0 CGC is the highest graded of the third printing (there is one other 4.5 copy).

Love and Rockets 3 issues.jpg